Old 01-23-2011, 08:01 PM
Ray Parrish

Default Nvidia settings for Geforce 6100 board

Hello,

I am having a problem with my video driver, as my
screen is wider than the monitor's viewing area,
and on two of my desktops there is a pinkish tinge
over all but the top half inch of screen.

I am pasting in my xorg.conf file in hopes that
someone else out there has a Geforce 6100 nvidia
video adapter, and a 15 inch TFT LCD screen, and
can compare their xorg.conf to mine and point out
any differences they spot.

# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated
by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings: version 1.0 (buildd@palmer)
Fri Apr 9 10:35:18 UTC 2010

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server
configuration file)

#
# This file was generated by failsafeDexconf, using
# values from the debconf database and some
overrides to use vesa mode.

#
# You should use dexconf or another such tool for
creating a "real" xorg.conf

# For example:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
# commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used
and auto-detects devices
# Keyboard settings are now read from
/etc/default/console-setup

#Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
# Driver "kbd"
# Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
# Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
# Option "XkbLayout" "us"
#EndSection
# commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used
and auto-detects devices
# Keyboard settings are now read from
/etc/default/console-setup

#Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier "Configured Mouse"
# Driver "mouse"
#EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
Option "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
Load "v4l"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "Xinerama" "0"
Option "BlankTime" "0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
VendorName "Generic LCD Display"
ModelName "LCD Panel 1024x768"
HorizSync 31.5 - 48.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 65.0
Gamma 1
ModeLine "640x480@60" 25.2 640 656 752
800 480 490 492 525 -hsync -vsync
ModeLine "800x600@56" 36.0 800 824 896
1024 600 601 603 625 +hsync +vsync
ModeLine "800x600@60" 40.0 800 840 968
1056 600 601 605 628 +hsync +vsync
ModeLine "1024x768@60" 65.0 1024 1048
1184 1344 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync

EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "NUL"
HorizSync 31.5 - 60.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 75.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA"
BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce 6 Series"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
BusID "PCI:0:5:0"
Screen 0
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce 6100"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce 6100"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "Configured Video Device"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Virtual 1024 768
Depth 24
Modes "800x600@60" "1024x768@60"
"800x600@56" "640x480@60"

EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"

# Removed Option "metamodes" "1024x768@60 +0+0;
800x600@60 +0+0; 800x600@56 +0+0; 640x480@60 +0+0"

Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "0"
Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder"
"CRT-0"
Option "metamodes"
"nvidia-auto-select +0+0; 1024x768_60 +0+0"

SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Thanks, Ray Parrish

--
The Unknown Lead Player, Ray Parrish
http://www.reverbnation.com/christopherrayparrish#

Old 01-27-2011, 02:54 PM
Preston Hagar

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> wrote:
> [...]
> * *Device * * * * "Device0"
> * *Monitor * * * *"Monitor0"
> * *DefaultDepth * *24
> * *Option * * * * "TwinView" "0"
> * *Option * * * * "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0"
> * *Option * * * * "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0; 1024x768_60 +0+0"
> * *SubSection * * "Display"
> * * * *Depth * * * 24
> * *EndSubSection
> EndSection
>

> Thanks, Ray Parrish
>
> --
> The Unknown Lead Player, Ray Parrish
> http://www.reverbnation.com/christopherrayparrish#
> Linux dpkg Software Report script set..
> http://www.rayslinks.com/LinuxdpkgSoftwareReport.html
> Ray's Links, a variety of links to usefull things, and articles by Ray.
> http://www.rayslinks.com
> Writings of "The" Schizophrenic, what it's like to be a schizo, and other

Not a direct answer to your question, but have you tried using nvidia-settings?

apt-get install nvidia-settings

then

sudo nvidia-settings

It is an easy way to setup dual screens and create a xorg.conf file
without having to hand edit one. In general, with the newer releases
of Ubuntu/xorg/nvidia drivers, I have left the modelines, depth, and
modes out all together. The newer system (not honestly sure if it is
a function of the Nvidia drivers, Xorg, or something else) seems to do
pretty good at dynamically guessing the right info. My guess is that
one of your modelines is off and the easiest fix may be to either
create your xorg.conf with nvidia-settings or to just take out the
modelines all together and let them be dynamically set when x loads.

Hope this helps,

Preston

Old 01-27-2011, 11:31 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 7:54 AM, Preston Hagar <prestonh@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> wrote:
: <really, really really LONG xorg.conf dump - redacted>

<really long sig - redacted>

> Not a direct answer to your question, but have you tried using nvidia-settings?

Edit? Please.