Old 01-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Dotan Cohen

Default I made a big mistake: dependency hell!

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 22:32, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's natty.

The system is Maverick Meerkat, but I was playing with Natty packages.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 01-23-2011, 08:04 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 22:32, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> That's natty.
>
> The system is Maverick Meerkat, but I was playing with Natty packages.

I said natty, not Natty - it was a little joke (very little...).

Old 01-23-2011, 08:06 PM
David Fletcher

On Sun, 2011-01-23 at 22:48 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 22:32, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > That's natty.
> >

> The system is Maverick Meerkat, but I was playing with Natty packages.
>
> --
> Dotan Cohen

I always use gdebi to install things that I get from sources other than
the repositories, such as virtualbox. I don't use it often but it seems
to make a decent attempt at resolving dependencies and installing the
extra packages.

Dave

Old 01-23-2011, 08:10 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 23:06, David Fletcher <dave@thefletchers.net> wrote:
> I always use gdebi to install things that I get from sources other than
> the repositories, such as virtualbox. I don't use it often but it seems
> to make a decent attempt at resolving dependencies and installing the
> extra packages.

Thank you for the insight Dave but please do not hijack this thread to
discuss best practices. I need this thread to remain coherent so that
I might resolve this critical issue. Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 01-23-2011, 09:07 PM
David Fletcher

On Sun, 2011-01-23 at 23:10 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> Thank you for the insight Dave but please do not hijack this thread to
> discuss best practices. I need this thread to remain coherent so that
> I might resolve this critical issue. Thanks.

Sorreeee mate,

Even if it doesn't help you right now, it might help others in the
future. Didn't expect to get a kicking for that!

Old 01-23-2011, 10:17 PM
Tom H

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 4:10 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 23:06, David Fletcher <dave@thefletchers.net> wrote:
>>
>> I always use gdebi to install things that I get from sources other than
>> the repositories, such as virtualbox. I don't use it often but it seems
>> to make a decent attempt at resolving dependencies and installing the
>> extra packages.
>
> Thank you for the insight Dave but please do not hijack this thread to
> discuss best practices. I need this thread to remain coherent so that
> I might resolve this critical issue. Thanks.

What a ridiculous reply! He's suggesting a preventive measure for the
future so he's not hijacking anything!

In fact, he's pointed you at a solution; re-installing with a an
application that'll install the correct dependencies.

I know nothing about gdebi but I'd suggest that you set up
sources.list and apt.conf properly for maverick and natty with pinning
and re-install whatever you installed with dpkg with "apt-get -t natty
install package" or "apt-get -t natty install --reinstall package" to
pull in the dependencies.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:17 AM
NoOp

On 01/23/2011 12:29 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> In trying to install Digikam 1.7 on Kubuntu 10.10 I got myself into
> dependency hell. I was installing some Natty packages with dpkg. Now I
> cannot even open Konsole, Dolphin, or any other KDE app other that
> what is already open. When I try to "apt-get install -f" in a virtual
> terminal it wants to remove almost everything! Of course, I cannot cut
> and paste from there. Of course, the apt-get database is up to date
> with the proper repos.
>
> Help! I don't know what to do! I tried removing the last packages
> installed as listed in /var/lib/dpkg/info (with a simple ls -la
> command in there), but aptitiude and apt-get both want to remove 200
> packages even when I try to remove just those ten or so.

sudo dpkg -r package_name

Old 01-24-2011, 06:34 AM
Dotan Cohen

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 23:04, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> That's natty.
>>
>> The system is Maverick Meerkat, but I was playing with Natty packages.
>>

> I said natty, not Natty - it was a little joke (very little...).

Ah, I see!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 01-24-2011, 06:56 AM
Dotan Cohen

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 01:17, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I always use gdebi to install things that I get from sources other than
>>> the repositories, such as virtualbox. I don't use it often but it seems
>>> to make a decent attempt at resolving dependencies and installing the
>>> extra packages.
>>
>> Thank you for the insight Dave but please do not hijack this thread to
>> discuss best practices. I need this thread to remain coherent so that
>> I might resolve this critical issue. Thanks.
>
> What a ridiculous reply! He's suggesting a preventive measure for the
> future so he's not hijacking anything!

It is not a preventative measure as I was deliberately fooling with
unsupported packages from a different distro version. There were no
repos to query, I was mixing and matching packages, I could do that
with any tool. Furthermore, I do not need a preventative measure, I
need to fix this install.

> In fact, he's pointed you at a solution; re-installing with a an
> application that'll install the correct dependencies.

Another apt front end. In fact, one that does not have a fix mode
(such as apt-get and aptitude have). In any case, as there is no fix
mode I tried to use it reinstall the digikam .deb and it complained
about a missing dependency, with no attempt to resolve.

> I know nothing about gdebi but I'd suggest that you set up
> sources.list and apt.conf properly for maverick and natty with pinning
> and re-install whatever you installed with dpkg with "apt-get -t natty
> install package" or *"apt-get -t natty install --reinstall package" to
> pull in the dependencies.

Thank you, I did not realise that one could configure apt for using
both sets of repos. I have in the past added N+1 main repos to pull in
dependencies when upgrading specific packages, but I thought that it
was a hack and certainly not supported. In any case, in this install I
do not want to install any more Natty packages, I need to get it back
to a stable Maverick install. I may have to reinstall, but I'd like to
avoid that.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 01-24-2011, 07:02 AM
Dotan Cohen

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 05:17, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 01/23/2011 12:29 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> In trying to install Digikam 1.7 on Kubuntu 10.10 I got myself into
>> dependency hell. I was installing some Natty packages with dpkg. Now I
>> cannot even open Konsole, Dolphin, or any other KDE app other that
>> what is already open. When I try to "apt-get install -f" in a virtual
>> terminal it wants to remove almost everything! Of course, I cannot cut
>> and paste from there. Of course, the apt-get database is up to date
>> with the proper repos.
>>
>> Help! I don't know what to do! I tried removing the last packages
>> installed as listed in /var/lib/dpkg/info (with a simple ls -la
>> command in there), but aptitiude and apt-get both want to remove 200
>> packages even when I try to remove just those ten or so.
>>

> sudo dpkg -r package_name

Interestingly, this made me discover that some critical packages are
only unpacked but not installed, such as libkdeui5. I wonder if / how
I accidentally removed that. This is probably my problem. Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com