FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-24-2011, 07:16 AM
Johan Grönqvist
 
Default I made a big mistake: dependency hell!

2011-01-23 21:29, Dotan Cohen skrev:

In trying to install Digikam 1.7 on Kubuntu 10.10 I got myself into
dependency hell. I was installing some Natty packages with dpkg.



When I try to "apt-get install -f" in a virtual
terminal it wants to remove almost everything!

I tried removing the last packages
installed as listed in /var/lib/dpkg/info, [...] but aptitiude and apt-get both want to remove 200
packages even when I try to remove just those ten or so.


Why does it want to remove all those packages?

I usually use the interactive aptitude, because that gives me a preview
of the planned changes, and (more importantly) gives me the ability to
change things there. In that preview, you should be able to see that it
wants to remove lots of packages, but also see why, and you could mark
that you want to keep them instead of having them removed.


Do you know if a meta-package could have been removed? This could make
your system think that the 200 packages are no longer needed, because
they where installed only because the meta-package needed them. The main
candidate here might be kubuntu-desktop, so make sure you have that
installed, or install it again.


Hope it helps

/ johan


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-24-2011, 07:44 AM
Dotan Cohen
 
Default I made a big mistake: dependency hell!

2011/1/24 Johan Grönqvist <johan.gronqvist@gmail.com>:
> 2011-01-23 21:29, Dotan Cohen skrev:
>>
>> In trying to install Digikam 1.7 on Kubuntu 10.10 I got myself into
>> dependency hell. I was installing some Natty packages with dpkg.
>
>> When I try to "apt-get install -f" in a virtual
>> terminal it wants to remove almost everything!
>>
>> *I tried removing the last packages
>> installed as listed in /var/lib/dpkg/info, [...] but aptitiude and apt-get
>> both want to remove 200
>> packages even when I try to remove just those ten or so.
>
> Why does it want to remove all those packages?
>

I did not know, until a few minutes ago. That was quite the problem,
the dependencies had gotten so complicated that only a mentat could
decipher them.

Doesn't Thufir Hawat frequent this list?


> I usually use the interactive aptitude, because that gives me a preview of
> the planned changes, and (more importantly) gives me the ability to change
> things there. In that preview, you should be able to see that it wants to
> remove lots of packages, but also see why, and you could mark that you want
> to keep them instead of having them removed.
>

So do I, I love aptitude to death. But the problem was that the list
was going off the screen, and even with GNU Screen I could not scroll
it as aptitude was waiting for cli input and that breaks Screen. Then
I discovered that you can press "e" in the interactive prompt to be
taken to an ncurses full-screen app! I couldn't believe it, it even
has a minesweeper game built in! With this interface I was able to
figure out the root of the issue, which is a missing core KDE
component. I configured the KDE Beta repo to pull it in, and it will
upgrade me to KDE 4.6 which is fine. It's all working now in the
background.


> Do you know if a meta-package could have been removed? This could make your
> system think that the 200 packages are no longer needed, because they where
> installed only because the meta-package needed them. The main candidate here
> might be kubuntu-desktop, so make sure you have that installed, or install
> it again.
>

That's a good thought. I can't check now as I'm tying up the resource,
but I'll look through the logs afterwards to see if that was the
issue. Though, I seem to recall that one could in fact remove the
meta-packages safely.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Tom H
 
Default I made a big mistake: dependency hell!

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 2:56 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 01:17, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> I always use gdebi to install things that I get from sources other than
>>>> the repositories, such as virtualbox. I don't use it often but it seems
>>>> to make a decent attempt at resolving dependencies and installing the
>>>> extra packages.
>>>
>>> Thank you for the insight Dave but please do not hijack this thread to
>>> discuss best practices. I need this thread to remain coherent so that
>>> I might resolve this critical issue. Thanks.
>>
>> What a ridiculous reply! He's suggesting a preventive measure for the
>> future so he's not hijacking anything!
>
> It is not a preventative measure as I was deliberately fooling with
> unsupported packages from a different distro version. There were no
> repos to query, I was mixing and matching packages, I could do that
> with any tool. Furthermore, I do not need a preventative measure, I
> need to fix this install.

Whether you like it or not, it's a preventive measure and it's kind of
the poster to have posted it. Attacking him for giving you advice for
the future is obnoxious.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-24-2011, 05:51 PM
Ric Moore
 
Default I made a big mistake: dependency hell!

On Sun, 2011-01-23 at 22:48 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 22:32, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > That's natty.
> >
>
> The system is Maverick Meerkat, but I was playing with Natty packages.

I KNOW you know better. But, I've done the same and worse. Ric


--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Dotan Cohen
 
Default I made a big mistake: dependency hell!

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 13:28, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> Whether you like it or not, it's a preventive measure and it's kind of
> the poster to have posted it. Attacking him for giving you advice for
> the future is obnoxious.
>

Tom, you are continuing to do the one thing I asked not to do:
polluting this thread with posts not relevant to solving the issue. I
understand that the Ubuntu list is not the LKML however please have a
bit of respect and stop hijacking. I understand your good intentions,
and I really do appreciate them, but your method is not productive and
I am trying to find the nicest way of asking you to stop.

Please, stop posting "I'm right you are wrong" petty arguments and let
this thread continue to develop in a productive manner. We are both
adults, I recognise your good intentions and I stress that I
appreciate them, however, they are hurting and not helping.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-24-2011, 07:43 PM
Tom H
 
Default I made a big mistake: dependency hell!

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 13:28, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Whether you like it or not, it's a preventive measure and it's kind of
>> the poster to have posted it. Attacking him for giving you advice for
>> the future is obnoxious.
>>
>
> Tom, you are continuing to do the one thing I asked not to do:
> polluting this thread with posts not relevant to solving the issue. I
> understand that the Ubuntu list is not the LKML however please have a
> bit of respect and stop hijacking. I understand your good intentions,
> and I really do appreciate them, but your method is not productive and
> I am trying to find the nicest way of asking you to stop.
>
> Please, stop posting "I'm right you are wrong" petty arguments and let
> this thread continue to develop in a productive manner. We are both
> adults, I recognise your good intentions and I stress that I
> appreciate them, however, they are hurting and not helping.

You already have your solution but you ought to apologize to the
poster whose help you rejected...

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:52 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org