FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-23-2011, 07:09 PM
scott
 
Default init: hwclock main process terminated with status 2

I don't have a clue how this happened. I turned off my laptop, unplugged
it and the next time I turned it on, the subject line is what I saw. It
drops me to a maintenance shell.

I've googled my butt off and everything I tried did not work. I've tried
'mountall start', 'init 2', I've tried setting the hwclock with 'hwclock
--set --date xx/xx/xxxx'. I've fscked /dev/sda5 from a live cd, chrooted
to it from the cd all to no avail.

Even though I'm root in the shell, I can't mount the volume. I get
permission denied. I've tried everything I can think of short of
reinstalling. XP works fine from grub. Every kernel I try, I get the
same thing, including the recovery options.
Any ideas?

Thanks, Scott


---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 110123-0, 01/23/2011
Tested on: 1/23/2011 3:09:47 PM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2011 AVAST Software.
http://www.avast.com




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-24-2011, 03:49 PM
NoOp
 
Default init: hwclock main process terminated with status 2

On 01/23/2011 12:09 PM, scott wrote:
> I don't have a clue how this happened. I turned off my laptop, unplugged
> it and the next time I turned it on, the subject line is what I saw. It
> drops me to a maintenance shell.
>
> I've googled my butt off and everything I tried did not work. I've tried
> 'mountall start', 'init 2', I've tried setting the hwclock with 'hwclock
> --set --date xx/xx/xxxx'. I've fscked /dev/sda5 from a live cd, chrooted
> to it from the cd all to no avail.
>
> Even though I'm root in the shell, I can't mount the volume. I get
> permission denied. I've tried everything I can think of short of
> reinstalling. XP works fine from grub. Every kernel I try, I get the
> same thing, including the recovery options.
> Any ideas?

Typically that erorr msg will accompany the actual error msg. For example:
init: hwclock main process (nnn) terminated with status 2
.: can't open /etc/default/rcS
init: mountall main process (nnn) terminated with status 2
filesystem check failed
That guy's problem was /etc/default/rcS.

Post the entire output of the message, or take a photo of the screen &
post somewhere. Also, boot to a liveCD and take a look at your /var/log
files to see if you can spot any obvious error messages.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-25-2011, 03:50 PM
scott
 
Default init: hwclock main process terminated with status 2

On 1/24/2011 11:49 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 01/23/2011 12:09 PM, scott wrote:
>> I don't have a clue how this happened. I turned off my laptop, unplugged
>> it and the next time I turned it on, the subject line is what I saw. It
>> drops me to a maintenance shell.
>>
>> I've googled my butt off and everything I tried did not work. I've tried
>> 'mountall start', 'init 2', I've tried setting the hwclock with 'hwclock
>> --set --date xx/xx/xxxx'. I've fscked /dev/sda5 from a live cd, chrooted
>> to it from the cd all to no avail.
>>
>> Even though I'm root in the shell, I can't mount the volume. I get
>> permission denied. I've tried everything I can think of short of
>> reinstalling. XP works fine from grub. Every kernel I try, I get the
>> same thing, including the recovery options.
>> Any ideas?
>
> Typically that erorr msg will accompany the actual error msg. For example:
> init: hwclock main process (nnn) terminated with status 2
> .: can't open /etc/default/rcS
> init: mountall main process (nnn) terminated with status 2
> filesystem check failed
> That guy's problem was /etc/default/rcS.
>
> Post the entire output of the message, or take a photo of the screen &
> post somewhere. Also, boot to a liveCD and take a look at your /var/log
> files to see if you can spot any obvious error messages.
>
>
I think it had to do with a missing mount point. In any case, I just
reinstalled and kept my /home and everything is back to normal. I sure
would like to know what caused it, though.


---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 110125-1, 01/25/2011
Tested on: 1/25/2011 11:50:57 AM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2011 AVAST Software.
http://www.avast.com




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-29-2011, 06:26 PM
Tom H
 
Default init: hwclock main process terminated with status 2

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 11:50 AM, scott <redhowlingwolves@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> On 1/24/2011 11:49 AM, NoOp wrote:
>> On 01/23/2011 12:09 PM, scott wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't have a clue how this happened. I turned off my laptop, unplugged
>>> it and the next time I turned it on, the subject line is what I saw. It
>>> drops me to a maintenance shell.
>>>
>>> I've googled my butt off and everything I tried did not work. I've tried
>>> 'mountall start', 'init 2', I've tried setting the hwclock with 'hwclock
>>> --set --date xx/xx/xxxx'. I've fscked /dev/sda5 from a live cd, chrooted
>>> to it from the cd all to no avail.
>>>
>>> Even though I'm root in the shell, I can't mount the volume. I get
>>> permission denied. I've tried everything I can think of short of
>>> reinstalling. XP works fine from grub. Every kernel I try, I get the
>>> same thing, including the recovery options.
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Typically that erorr msg will accompany the actual error msg. For example:
>> * * init: hwclock main process (nnn) terminated with status 2
>> * * .: can't open /etc/default/rcS
>> * * init: mountall main process (nnn) terminated with status 2
>> * * filesystem check failed
>> That guy's problem was /etc/default/rcS.
>>
>> Post the entire output of the message, or take a photo of the screen &
>> post somewhere. Also, boot to a liveCD and take a look at your /var/log
>> files to see if you can spot any obvious error messages.
>>
>>
> I think it had to do with a missing mount point. In any case, I just
> reinstalled and kept my /home and everything is back to normal. I sure
> would like to know what caused it, though.

Glad you fixed the problem.

Meant to answer originally but deleted your email by mistake and forgot.

What I meant to say was that "/etc/init/hwclock.conf" has "start on
starting mountall" so your problem might very well be a mount problem
rather than a hwclock one.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:58 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org