Old 01-23-2011, 02:31 PM
Loïc Grenié

Default putting "/tmp" to memory

2011/1/23 kellyremo <kellyremo@zoho.com>:

> "to memory" means: mounting a ~2 GByte filesystem [ tmpfs?, or ramfs? ], and
> put the "/tmp" on it. [ e.g.: 4 GByte ram in the pc ]. what to write in the
> "/etc/fstab"?

Just add (if it's not already there):

tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0

to your /etc/fstab

> I would like to collect the [ answers too:P ]:
>
> Advantages:
> - Memory is way faster then HDD/SSD, so it could speed things up
> - "SSD amortization" is less
>
> Disadvantages:
> - Security? [ how to set this up to be secure? any clear howtos/links
> regarding it? :O ]

Only disadvantage I know: it eats memory. Watch out if your friends
send you GB of .doc files and you open them from firefox/bird.

Hope this helps,

Loïc

Old 01-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Tim

On Sun, 2011-01-23 at 05:47 -0800, kellyremo wrote:
> Disadvantages:

If you burn DVDs, you need to be able to set the software to use
somewhere other than /tmp to create its temporary files. Else, you're
going to need at least 5 gigs of spare RAM for your tmpfs /tmp, to hold
an entire DVD ISO.

There's probably some other applications which make big temp files, too,
but that's the one that springs to mind.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 02:24:59 +1030,
Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-01-23 at 05:47 -0800, kellyremo wrote:
> > Disadvantages:
>
> If you burn DVDs, you need to be able to set the software to use
> somewhere other than /tmp to create its temporary files. Else, you're
> going to need at least 5 gigs of spare RAM for your tmpfs /tmp, to hold
> an entire DVD ISO.
>
> There's probably some other applications which make big temp files, too,
> but that's the one that springs to mind.

tmpfs can use swap space when needed, so you could set up say a 10 GB swap
partition to allow you to handle cases where you need a lot of temp space.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:23 PM
Mark

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 5:47 AM, kellyremo <kellyremo@zoho.com> wrote:

> "to memory" means: mounting a ~2 GByte filesystem [ tmpfs?, or ramfs? ], and
> put the "/tmp" on it. [ e.g.: 4 GByte ram in the pc ]. what to write in the
> "/etc/fstab"?
>
> I would like to collect the [ answers too:P ]:
>
> Advantages:
> - Memory is way faster then HDD/SSD, so it could speed things up
> - "SSD amortization" is less
>
> Disadvantages:
> - Security? [ how to set this up to be secure? any clear howtos/links
> regarding it? :O ]
>
> Really thank you for any good help...

Can you tell us why you cross posted this to the Ubuntu mailing list?
Are you just fishing for answers for your homework, like S. Mathis?

Old 01-23-2011, 05:25 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 5:47 AM, kellyremo <kellyremo@zoho.com> wrote:

> "to memory" means: mounting a ~2 GByte filesystem [ tmpfs?, or ramfs? ], and
> put the "/tmp" on it. [ e.g.: 4 GByte ram in the pc ]. what to write in the
> "/etc/fstab"?
>
> I would like to collect the [ answers too:P ]:
>
> Advantages:
> - Memory is way faster then HDD/SSD, so it could speed things up
> - "SSD amortization" is less
>
> Disadvantages:
> - Security? [ how to set this up to be secure? any clear howtos/links
> regarding it? :O ]
>
> Really thank you for any good help...

I see you posted this on the CentOS list as well, and this is a petty
basic question, like maybe a student who was too lazy to do their own
research might ask....

Stick to on-topic questions when you post to online email discussion
groups. This question has nothing to do with Ubuntu, per se.

Geez, another S. Mathias....

Old 01-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Anthony

On 24/01/11 05:23, Mark wrote:

> Can you tell us why you cross posted this to the Ubuntu mailing list?
> Are you just fishing for answers for your homework, like S. Mathis?
I was just about to comment on the similarity of this post to S.Mathias'
posts but it appears I've been beaten to the punch.

I was so convinced it was indeed S.Mathias that was posting under an
alias (the jury is still out), but checking the headers was not conclusive!

Cheers,
Ak.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:55 PM
Rudi Ahlers

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 8:23 PM, Mark <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you tell us why you cross posted this to the Ubuntu mailing list?
> Are you just fishing for answers for your homework, like S. Mathis?

Probably cause different people are on different lists and will have
different view points / experience to share?

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532

Old 01-23-2011, 09:56 PM
John R Pierce

On 01/23/11 12:55 PM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 8:23 PM, Mark<mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Can you tell us why you cross posted this to the Ubuntu mailing list?
>> Are you just fishing for answers for your homework, like S. Mathis?
>
> Probably cause different people are on different lists and will have
> different view points / experience to share?

I know if I started asking Volvo questions on a motorcycle list, I'd
find myself quickly banned.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Rudi Ahlers

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 12:56 AM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 01/23/11 12:55 PM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 8:23 PM, Mark<mhullrich@gmail.com> *wrote:
>>>
>>> Can you tell us why you cross posted this to the Ubuntu mailing list?
>>> Are you just fishing for answers for your homework, like S. Mathis?
>>
>> Probably cause different people are on different lists and will have
>> different view points / experience to share?
>

> I know if I started asking Volvo questions on a motorcycle list, I'd
> find myself quickly banned.

Unless Volvo makes motorcycles.......

He's question is pretty much related to Linux, not CentOS alone. It's
a different thing it he wanted to move the /tmp folder on his MAC

Old 01-23-2011, 10:00 PM
Mark

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 2:56 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 01/23/11 12:55 PM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 8:23 PM, Mark<mhullrich@gmail.com> *wrote:
>>>
>>> Can you tell us why you cross posted this to the Ubuntu mailing list?
>>> Are you just fishing for answers for your homework, like S. Mathis?
>>
>> Probably cause different people are on different lists and will have
>> different view points / experience to share?
>
> I know if I started asking Volvo questions on a motorcycle list, I'd
> find myself quickly banned.

How about here?

<RBFG>