Old 01-24-2011, 01:00 AM
Mailing List

Default putting "/tmp" to memory

On 1/23/2011 6:00 PM, Mark wrote:

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 2:56 PM, John R Pierce<pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:

On 01/23/11 12:55 PM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 8:23 PM, Mark<mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:

Can you tell us why you cross posted this to the Ubuntu mailing list?
Are you just fishing for answers for your homework, like S. Mathis?

I can not see the reason to why his question is being scrutinized. If I needed an
answer whether it be homework or legitimate work I was doing, I would ask where ever
I thought I would get the right answer.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:17 AM
Tim

Tim:
>> If you burn DVDs, you need to be able to set the software to use
>> somewhere other than /tmp to create its temporary files. Else,
>> you're going to need at least 5 gigs of spare RAM for your
>> tmpfs /tmp, to hold an entire DVD ISO.

Bruno Wolff III:
> tmpfs can use swap space when needed, so you could set up say a 10 GB
> swap partition to allow you to handle cases where you need a lot of
> temp space.

It's a long time since I tried using tmpfs for /tmp, but I did have a
big swap partition, and I'd get out of disc space errors if I tried to
create a DVD.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:43 AM
Mark

> On 1/23/2011 6:00 PM, Mark wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 2:56 PM, John R Pierce<pierce@hogranch.com>
>> *wrote:

> I can not see the reason to why his question is being scrutinized. *If I
> needed an
> answer whether it be homework or legitimate work I was doing, I would ask
> where ever
> I thought I would get the right answer.

There are people out there who prey on lists like this one to post
questions that are either a) completely off topic or b) obvious
low-level "technical" questions that only a student would be likely to
ask. One of the telltale signs is cross-posting the same question to
multiple similar lists, which gets brought up by those of us who are
on more than one list of this nature, e.g., Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora,
etc.

This list is a little less picky about questions posted here that are
at least somewhat related to CentOS, but others are not so lenient.

In particular, questions and discussions about basic programming or
general Linux questions should be directed to more appropriate fora,
since this list is specifically for questions that have something to
do with CentOS. I, too, have posted off-topic questions here (many
times), but I don't blast them out all over creation and I try to make
sure they are marked OT.

Most recently, there were a spate of questions from someone "named" S.
Mathias that were clearly being asked by someone with little or no
development experience and which had nothing at all to do with the
specific OSs in whose groups this person cross-posted. They looked
suspiciously like questions one would expect to see on beginner-level
programming classes.

That's my irk on this one.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Roberto Ragusa

On 01/23/2011 02:47 PM, kellyremo wrote:

> "to memory" means: mounting a ~2 GByte filesystem [ tmpfs?, or ramfs? ], and put the "/tmp" on it. [ e.g.: 4 GByte ram in the pc ]. what to write in the "/etc/fstab"?
>
> I would like to collect the [ answers too:P ]:
>
> Advantages:
> - Memory is way faster then HDD/SSD, so it could speed things up
> - "SSD amortization" is less

Consider that if you create a file in /tmp, then read it, then delete it,
it is likely that nothing was ever written to the disk, as you have
just worked inside the Linux cache.

This happens very easily with "small" files (no DVD) if everything completes
in less than 30 seconds and the system is not under memory pressure.

Using tmpfs will gain you almost nothing.

Without tmpfs: use the disk, but actually just use mem if possible.
With tmpfs: use the mem, but actually use the disk (swap) if necessary.

They are more similar than one would expect.

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it

Old 01-24-2011, 01:02 PM
Jerry McAllister

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 09:00:38PM -0500, Mailing List wrote:

> On 1/23/2011 6:00 PM, Mark wrote:
>
> I can not see the reason to why his question is being scrutinized. If I
> needed an
> answer whether it be homework or legitimate work I was doing, I would ask
> where ever
> I thought I would get the right answer.

Good point. Though probably the prof would expect you to read
the references on the subject. Generally one of the main purposes
of an assignment is to get the student to become familiar with
the written resources that are available and how to find them.
Just finding the information is almosst secondary.

But, on the other hand, whenever someone posts a somewhat OT question
there are far more irritating posts wasting much more bandwidth and
reader time than ever got affected by the original OT or somewhat OT
post - in the order of a couple of magnitudes more eg a hundred or two
posts per each OT post. So, I'd suggest these self-righteous flamers
find a good religious discussion to perform their cathartic ritual in.

////jerry

Old 01-24-2011, 01:11 PM
Rudi Ahlers

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 09:00:38PM -0500, Mailing List wrote:

>> I can not see the reason to why his question is being scrutinized. *If I
>> needed an
>> answer whether it be homework or legitimate work I was doing, I would ask
>> where ever
>> I thought I would get the right answer.
>>

> Good point. * Though probably the prof would expect you to read
> the references on the subject. *Generally one of the main purposes
> of an assignment is to get the student to become familiar with
> the written resources that are available and how to find them.
> Just finding the information is almosst secondary.
>
> But, on the other hand, whenever someone posts a somewhat OT question
> there are far more irritating posts wasting much more bandwidth and
> reader time than ever got affected by the original OT or somewhat OT
> post - in the order of a couple of magnitudes more eg a hundred or two
> posts per each OT post. * So, I'd suggest these self-righteous flamers
> find a good religious discussion to perform their cathartic ritual in.
>
> ////jerry

But who are we to judge him, as to why he asks the question?

I would want to know this myself, for that matter since I'm
experimenting with embedded PC's, running Linux on a flash disk, which
has limited write cycles. Does that make me a school kid with an
assignment? No. Maybe. Yes. How do you know how old I am, or what my
agenda is?

I am out of school, by the way and don't need to write stupit exams to
prove my experience or knowledge either. But, I don't know everything,
and it's many times easier to ask a question to a group of people who
might have already stumbled upon the same thing that I'm trying out
for the first time

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532

Old 01-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Jerry McAllister

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 04:11:35PM +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu> wrote:

> >> I can not see the reason to why his question is being scrutinized. *If I
> >> needed an
> >> answer whether it be homework or legitimate work I was doing, I would ask
> >> where ever
> >> I thought I would get the right answer.
> >>

> > Good point. * Though probably the prof would expect you to read
> > the references on the subject. *Generally one of the main purposes
> > of an assignment is to get the student to become familiar with
> > the written resources that are available and how to find them.
> > Just finding the information is almosst secondary.
> >
> > But, on the other hand, whenever someone posts a somewhat OT question
> > there are far more irritating posts wasting much more bandwidth and
> > reader time than ever got affected by the original OT or somewhat OT
> > post - in the order of a couple of magnitudes more eg a hundred or two
> > posts per each OT post. * So, I'd suggest these self-righteous flamers
> > find a good religious discussion to perform their cathartic ritual in.
> >
> > ////jerry

> But who are we to judge him, as to why he asks the question?
>
> I would want to know this myself, for that matter since I'm
> experimenting with embedded PC's, running Linux on a flash disk, which
> has limited write cycles. Does that make me a school kid with an
> assignment? No. Maybe. Yes. How do you know how old I am, or what my
> agenda is?
>
> I am out of school, by the way and don't need to write stupit exams to
> prove my experience or knowledge either. But, I don't know everything,
> and it's many times easier to ask a question to a group of people who
> might have already stumbled upon the same thing that I'm trying out
> for the first time

Another reason the flamers are off base.

////jerry

Old 01-24-2011, 02:54 PM
"Brunner, Brian T."

> > > But, on the other hand, whenever someone posts a somewhat OT
> > > question there are far more irritating [replies]* So, I'd suggest these
> > > self-righteous flamers find a good religious discussion list
> > > to perform their cathartic ritual in.
> >
> > But who are we to judge him, as to why he asks the question?
> > I don't know everything,
> Another reason the flamers are off base.

A faster way to dispose of OT posts is to toss the relevant words into google

"/tmp in ram howto"

See that the first hit(s) have good info on the subject, then put the URL(s)
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=16450
http://www.slax.org/forum.php?action=view&parentID=37512
http://forums.opensuse.org/archives/sls-archives/archives-suse-linux/archives-general-questions/359159-mounting-tmp-ram.html

In the reply,

then consider the post *answered*. Other posters here should send their replies >/dev/null 2>&1
as soon as a reply like the above is seen.

/meta-flamer /nettiquette-nazi

Old 01-24-2011, 03:03 PM
Les Mikesell

On 1/24/2011 9:54 AM, Brunner, Brian T. wrote:

>>> But who are we to judge him, as to why he asks the question?
>>> I don't know everything,
>> Another reason the flamers are off base.
>
> A faster way to dispose of OT posts is to toss the relevant words into google
>
> "/tmp in ram howto"
>
> See that the first hit(s) have good info on the subject, then put the URL(s)
> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=16450
> http://www.slax.org/forum.php?action=view&parentID=37512
> http://forums.opensuse.org/archives/sls-archives/archives-suse-linux/archives-general-questions/359159-mounting-tmp-ram.html
>
> In the reply,
>
> then consider the post *answered*. Other posters here should send their replies>/dev/null 2>&1
> as soon as a reply like the above is seen.
>
> /meta-flamer /nettiquette-nazi

But now you've arranged it so future searchers will have to wade through
this whole thread to find that it is mostly useless.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com