Old 01-22-2011, 07:29 PM
Jay Ridgley

Default Questions about VNC behavior in 10.04.1 LTS (upgrading/replacement of firewall/server system)

Folks,

I was having problems upgrading my old system from 08.04 LTS (remember)...

I purchased a new system and have Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS installed and up to date. I
have also added some additional packages that are required to support my
environment. Everything seemed to function correctly until I tried to use VNC.

If a monitor is plugged into the system I am able to reach the new system from
one of my other machines. This is good. However, if I disconnect the monitor I
am unable to make a connection! The BIOS is set to ignore keyboard errors,
because the system will be HEADLESS in it's final configuration. So the presence
or absence of mouse and keyboard have no effect, just the monitor.

How do I enable a VNC connection without the monitor attached?

This is crucial to my environment. Both SSH and SFTP work either with or without
the monitor/mouse/keyboard attached.

The other interesting thing I have found is if the mouse settings are reversed
on the connecting system they function just the opposite on the target. If you
set it for normal right hand via the VNC connection it acts as a left hand
mouse. This is somewhat interesting but not a show stopper.

Ideas from and wisdom of the group would be welcomed. I am also going to start
some research and see what I can discover, because if VNC will not work on a
headless system I am not going to be able to proceed.

BTW I was able to successfully upgrade two systems from 08.04 LTS to 10.04.1 LTS
without problems.

Cheers,
Jay

--

Jay Ridgley
jridgley2@austin.rr.com

Old 01-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Colin Law

On 22 January 2011 20:29, Jay Ridgley <jridgley2@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I was having problems upgrading my old system from 08.04 LTS (remember)...
>
> I purchased a new system and have Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS installed and up to
> date. I have also added some additional packages that are required to
> support my environment. Everything seemed to function correctly until I
> tried to use VNC.
>
> If a monitor is plugged into the system I am able to reach the new system
> from one of my other machines. This is good. However, if I disconnect the
> monitor I am unable to make a connection! The BIOS is set to ignore keyboard
> errors, because the system will be HEADLESS in it's final configuration. So
> the presence or absence of mouse and keyboard have no effect, just the
> monitor.
>
> How do I enable a VNC connection without the monitor attached?

I don't know about vino but I run x11vnc as the vnc server on a
headless system without problems. I connect over ssh so it is fully
secure.

Colin

Old 01-23-2011, 12:48 AM
MR ZenWiz

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 12:29 PM, Jay Ridgley <jridgley2@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> I purchased a new system and have Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS installed and up to
> date. I have also added some additional packages that are required to
> support my environment. Everything seemed to function correctly until I
> tried to use VNC.

Might this have anything to do with what GDM you run on the headless machine?

(I know very little about vnc, but it seems like there has to be some
kind of gdm running for it to function.)

Which vnc server are you using on the headless machine?