Old 01-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Calcpage

Default Mounting ISO

Greetings Esteemed Linux Experts,

I seem to remember doing this years ago b4 Ubuntu was around. Maybe
one of you kind souls can remind this old professor how to do it. I
know this may be a tall order in the absence on NoOp, but here gies
nothing!

Anyway, I have an ISO of a live Linux CD I'd like my students to use,
but I really don't want my students to have boot it up eveyday b4
class and I really don't want to burn 50 copies. So, can I make a
partition on my hdds, which r already dual-boot boxes, and put the ISO
in there so I can then have a 3rd boot option in grub?

TIA
A. Jorge Garcia
Applied Math & CS
Baldwin SHS & Nassau http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com
http://www.youtube.com/calcpage2009
Sent from my iPod

Old 01-22-2011, 03:19 PM
"Goh Lip"

Anyway, I have an ISO of a live Linux CD I'd like my students to use,
but I really don't want my students to have boot it up eveyday b4 class
and I really don't want to burn 50 copies. So, can I make a partition on
my hdds, which r already dual-boot boxes, and put the ISO in there so I
can then have a 3rd boot option in grub?

You don't have to put the iso into a new partition. An existing partition
will do fine.

Regards - Goh Lip

Old 01-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Calcpage

Anyway, I have an ISO of a live Linux CD I'd like my students to
use, but I really don't want my students to have boot it up eveyday
b4 class and I really don't want to burn 50 copies. So, can I make
a partition on my hdds, which r already dual-boot boxes, and put
the ISO in there so I can then have a 3rd boot option in grub?

You don't have to put the iso into a new partition. An existing
partition will do fine.

Regards - Goh Lip

Oh, really? Thats cool! So, say this bootable ISO is in /dev/hda2/
sage.iso, how do I add this to grub?

Thanx,
A. Jorge Garcia
Applied Math & CS
Baldwin SHS & Nassau CC

Old 01-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Nils Kassube

Calcpage wrote:
> Anyway, I have an ISO of a live Linux CD I'd like my students to use,
> but I really don't want my students to have boot it up eveyday b4
> class and I really don't want to burn 50 copies. So, can I make a
> partition on my hdds, which r already dual-boot boxes, and put the
> ISO in there so I can then have a 3rd boot option in grub?

If you want to use a new partition, wouldn't it be the same as
installing the system from that live CD? Well, maybe you aren't talking
about Ubuntu but about something like Knoppix which isn't meant to be
installed. Then I would use Virtualbox and create a virtual machine
which has no harddisk image but is only connected to the ISO file. Then
you could copy that virtual machine to all of the boxes. Like Goh Lip
wrote already, you don't need an extra partition for this option but you
wouldn't have an entry in your grub menu.

Nils

Old 01-22-2011, 04:22 PM
"Goh Lip"