Old 01-26-2011, 04:40 AM
Mike Kupfer

Default still looking for decent PDF annotation tool

Patton Echols wrote:

> On 01/21/2011 01:47 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> > The problem is that Okular does not support "PDF Annotations". The
> > annotations that Okular provide are in it's own unique format (in a
> > sidecar file), incompatible with "PDF Annotations" even though it
> > shares the same name. When the OP sends a PDF that was annotated with
> > Okular, the recipient will not see the annotations. Even if he is also
> > using Okular.
> > "
> > I recommend Xournal to the OP.

I believe Xournal is actually worse than Okular in this regard. Suppose
in Xournal I click on File>Annotate PDF and select a PDF file. If I
then click on File>Save, Xournal does not update the PDF. Rather, it
saves a .xoj file that apparently has embedded a reference to the
original PDF. So if you want to send the annotated PDF to someone, you
need to send both the original PDF and the .xoj file. (This is using
whichever version of Xournal that is bundled with Lucid.)

I annotate my online subscriptions using Xournal. If I want to move an
issue to another folder, or put it on a thumb drive to read on the
train, I have to remember to move both files. It's manageable, but a
bit of a nuisance.

With Okular, you use File>Export As>Document Archive to get a single
(zip) file that contains both the original PDF and the annotation data.

> does Okular convert a pdf to images like xournal and th OO plugin? Or
> does it retain the text characteristics of a document. If the latter,
> it remains a potentially searchable document.

The original PDF remains searchable. I wasn't able to get the text
search to find my test annotation, though.

mike

Old 01-26-2011, 01:05 PM
Linda

<snip>

I believe Xournal is actually worse than Okular in this regard. Suppose
in Xournal I click on File>Annotate PDF and select a PDF file. If I
then click on File>Save, Xournal does not update the PDF. Rather, it
saves a .xoj file that apparently has embedded a reference to the
original PDF. So if you want to send the annotated PDF to someone, you
need to send both the original PDF and the .xoj file. (This is using
whichever version of Xournal that is bundled with Lucid.)

If you want to send the annotated PDF to someone you just
need to export to PDF
Whenever I send an annotated or revised document to someone
I add revised and
the date to the file name as well so that it is easy for
them to know which is the

most current version
Linda

Old 01-26-2011, 03:24 PM
Mike Kupfer

Linda wrote:

> If you want to send the annotated PDF to someone you just need to
> export to PDF

True, that might suffice for the OP.

I take back what I said about Xournal being worse than Okular as far as
how it manages the annotation data. After playing around with Okular
some more, I finally grasped Dotan's point. If you add a note to a PDF
with Okular and then later reopen the PDF, Okular will show the note.
(This is without saving as a document archive. Just add a note, quit
Okular, restart Okular, and view the same PDF.) But Okular hasn't
actually changed the PDF, it just looks like it has. Xournal doesn't
use such trickery.

mike

Old 02-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 10:37, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> *i do a lot of proofreading/editing for a publisher and i typically
> get Word-format content that i can easily annotate in oowriter. *my
> changes are either in-place edits or side notes added with Ctl-Alt-N,
> while displaying and recording all the changes.
>
> *occasionally, though, the only available format for a document is
> PDF, and i'd really like to be able to make the same changes to a PDF
> doc. *is there an open-source solution for this? *if not, i'm prepared
> to get something commercial.

I recently had a chance to annotate a PDF in Windows with the Foxit
(non-FOSS) PDF reader. The annotations show in Kubuntu in Okular and
Adobe Reader. You might want to look at the Foxit Linux version to see
if it has similar capabilities.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il