Old 01-21-2011, 07:13 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default still looking for decent PDF annotation tool

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011, Robert Holtzman wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 11:46:56AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Fri, 21 Jan 2011, Bas Roufs wrote:
> > >
> > > In case Evince is not ready yet: in Okular you can find the
> > > annotation functions you are looking for - that's the point I am
> > > making.
> >
> > and it just dawned on me (argh) that the recipient might be
> > running only windows, which makes using okular problematic.
> > ideally, i'd like to find a solution that doesn't require the
> > recipient to be running a KDE-based linux distro.
>
> You don't need a KDE-based linux distro to run a KDE-based program.
> Just install it and it will install all (a lot!) the dependencies.

i know, i worded that badly, sorry.

rday

http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 01-21-2011, 08:41 PM
Doug

On 01/21/2011 12:33 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011, Tony Pursell wrote:

I think the whole problem of PDF files is that they are designed to
be immutable objects - so any form of annotation that changes the
PDF itself should be impossible. For someone to send you a PDF for
annotation is completely wrong and misses the point of having PDFs
in the first place, so they should not object to having your
annotations and edits sent back to them in some other format.

So any method of annotation is going to be a bit of a botch.

so, out of curiosity, how does adobe reader work? a colleague tells
me she has the commercial adobe reader on her mac, and she can
annotate PDFs just fine. so what is adobe reader doing to that file?

rday

Adobe reader is a free download for Linux--it's probably already in your
package manager repo. So it's not FOSS, so what? Ask your colleague
how she does it.

--doug

Old 01-21-2011, 08:47 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 10:58, Bas Roufs <basroufs@gmail.com> wrote:
> The PDF reader "Okular" contains a seemingly smart functionality for
> this purpose. It is the same package which is being pointed at the
> page you have found yourself:
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/1529/how-can-i-highlight-pdf
>
> To annotate, etc.pen the PDF document in Okular
> tools > review or F6.
> You can make text annotations "inline" or next to the text.
> Additionally, you can make yellow highlights, straight yellow lines,
> polygons, put stamp symbols, underline the text with a black line and
> make cyan ellipses.
> Okular is a typical KDE/Kubuntu package. However, it is also possible
> to install it from the repository in any other *Ubuntu distribution.
> Respectfully yours,

The problem is that Okular does not support "PDF Annotations". The
annotations that Okular provide are in it's own unique format (in a
sidecar file), incompatible with "PDF Annotations" even though it
shares the same name. When the OP sends a PDF that was annotated with
Okular, the recipient will not see the annotations. Even if he is also
using Okular.

I recommend Xournal to the OP.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 01-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 19:33, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> *so, out of curiosity, how does adobe reader work? *a colleague tells
> me she has the commercial adobe reader on her mac, and she can
> annotate PDFs just fine. *so what is adobe reader doing to that file?

There exists an annotation function in the PDF spec, I believe in
versions 1.5+. Information is real hard to come by, I just googled it
and found nothing concrete. I'm not about to delve into the spec
itself tonight.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 01-21-2011, 09:01 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 20:01, James Tappin <sjt@star.sr.bham.ac.uk> wrote:
> It is also possible (I guess) to use pdfedit -- but my experience of
> that is that the UI is so obscure that it's almost impossible to
> actually do anything with it!

It's Qt 3 and runs terrible nowadays. I recently gave a user a Kubuntu
7.04 disc to use just to use that app! I did not yet ask him how that
went...

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 01-21-2011, 09:05 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 22:09, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, you are, but that's ok. *PDF is a proprietary format owned and
> operated by Adobe. *While many utilities exist to mess with them, most
> do not allow you to edit them. *AFAICT, even Acrobat won't let you
> "edit" a PDF so much as create a new one from an old one and then
> rewrite the file (which is functionally the same but technically a
> little different). *PDFs are great for exchanging files that never
> need to be changed again. *For everything else, there's
> LibreOffice....

PDF has been an open standard for a few years now. But the standard is
terse, it is a subset of PS.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 01-22-2011, 01:01 AM
Linda

I just installed xournal. I didn't play around with it too
long, but if you just want to type or highlight something it
is a lot simpler to use than Adobe Professional. Thanks to
whoever recommended it.

Linda

Old 01-25-2011, 05:33 AM
Patton Echols

[...]

"
I recommend Xournal to the OP.

Late to the thread I know, but does Okular convert a pdf to images like
xournal and th OO plugin? Or does it retain the text characteristics of
a document. If the latter, it remains a potentially searchable
document. The trick would be to figure out how to export with the
annotations. Maybe printing to PDF. Anyone have experience with how it
works?

Old 01-25-2011, 06:00 AM
Christopher Beynon

2011/1/21 Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca>:

> *i do a lot of proofreading/editing for a publisher and i typically
> get Word-format content that i can easily annotate in oowriter. *my
> changes are either in-place edits or side notes added with Ctl-Alt-N,
> while displaying and recording all the changes.
>
> *occasionally, though, the only available format for a document is
> PDF, and i'd really like to be able to make the same changes to a PDF
> doc. *is there an open-source solution for this? *if not, i'm prepared
> to get something commercial.
>
> rday

I use Foxit Reader for Windows under Wine, which works perfectly.
(There is a Linux version of Foxit Reader, which has only a limited
functionality).

chris

Old 01-25-2011, 06:30 AM
Chad Germann