Old 01-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Daniel Nascimento

Default Question about performance copying files on Ubuntu 10.10

Hi folks.
First of all I'll introduce myself. My name is Daniel and I'm from Brazil (so sorry my poor English ). I've been using Linux on my day-by-day in the last 2 years. I'm not an advanced user, but not a simple user either

My first question on this list is: I recently installed Ubuntu 10.10 at my workstation (Dell Latitude E4310, Core i5 and 3GB Ram) and the system is running smoothly as expected, but I've noticed that the system has some performance problems when copying a huge amount of files.�

In my case I was copying 32GB from Windows partition (NTFS) to Ubuntu Partition (ext4) and I could notice the system taking so much longer to answer or even open applications (as Firefox/Chrome for example). I've made the same test into Windows and had no trouble during the proccess.

Of course I don't want to start a fight between users comparing performance of Windows and Ubuntu during copy of files, I just want to know if does it happen with someone else?

Cheers
--
Daniel Barbosa do Nascimento Filho

Old 01-21-2011, 06:27 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Daniel Nascimento <filhodan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks.
> First of all I'll introduce myself. My name is Daniel and I'm from Brazil
> (so sorry my poor English ). I've been using Linux on my day-by-day in
> the last 2 years. I'm not an advanced user, but not a simple user either
> My first question on this list is: I recently installed Ubuntu 10.10 at my
> workstation (Dell Latitude E4310, Core i5 and 3GB Ram) and the system is
> running smoothly as expected, but I've noticed that the system has some
> performance problems when copying a huge amount of files.
> In my case I was copying 32GB from Windows partition (NTFS) to Ubuntu
> Partition (ext4) and I could notice the system taking so much longer to
> answer or even open applications (as Firefox/Chrome for example). I've made
> the same test into Windows and had no trouble during the proccess.
> Of course I don't want to start a fight between users comparing performance
> of Windows and Ubuntu during copy of files, I just want to know if does it
> happen with someone else?

Daniel,

I don't have the answer, but this article (for instance) suggests the
opposite, even for a legacy Ubuntu release.

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/benchmarked-ubuntu-vs-vista-vs-windows-7

Are you sure all the cores are running at full speed? (Right click the
top panel and add "CPU Frequency Scaling Monitoring" - ou como quer
que isso se chame em português - one for each core). Do you have a
reasonable amount of free space in your partitions or you packed all
the Linux stuff in a tight space right at the end of the HD? Perhaps
the journaling process on a NTFS to ext4 copy is taking its toll
compared to a NTFS to NTFS copy. Are you copying or moving (copy and
delete) files?

Since I don't have any real Windows installed any more, I cannot test
this on my stations, perhaps someone else can.

Abraço,

Lucio

P.S.: Never say sorry, (at least, not in advance).

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
GNU-Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/