Old 01-21-2011, 09:09 AM
Chris Jones

Default how to set imagemagicks tmp folder?

S Mathias wrote:

my /tmp is too small [when i want to use "convert"]. how can i set imagemagick, to use an other tmp folder, what has enough space?

If /tmp is too small, imagemagick is not the only problem you are likely
to face. Many utilities expect to be able to write temporary files
there, and things will start to behave badly if they can't.

so, instead of just fixing imagemagick, I sugguest you look to *why*
/tmp is too small ? Is it really too small, or is it just full up with
crude for some reason ? What does

> df -h /tmp

give ?

Chris

Old 01-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Kai Schaetzl

Please do not abuse this list for your daily tinky-winky support needs!!!
This list is not a replacement for using your brain.
Thank you!

Google or the search engine of your choice is your friend. I used
"imagemagick set tmp dir" and the very first hit seems to contain the
correct answer already. That's even faster than sending a question to this
list and waiting for an answer.

Thank you again for stopping to abuse this list in the future, thanks.

Kai

Old 01-21-2011, 11:57 AM
S Mathias

Google will provide an answer, if someone asks it, and then someone answers it. If someone answers the question on a mailing list, then it wont be asked again on the list, because people could google for it.
and mr. let me tell you: you're an idiot.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Please leave this list, thanks.

Kai

Old 01-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Chris Jones

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 04:14:43AM EST, S Mathias wrote:

> my /tmp is too small [when i want to use "convert"]. how can i set
> imagemagick, to use an other tmp folder, what has enough space?
>
> thank you!

Try (untested):

MAGICK_TMPDIR=./mytmpdir convert ..

If you need this on a permanent basis, you may want to export
MAGICK_TMPDIR in - e.g., your .bashrc

See discussion under:

/usr/share/doc/imagemagick/www/resources.html

cj

Old 01-21-2011, 02:10 PM
Bowie Bailey

On 1/21/2011 4:14 AM, S Mathias wrote:
> my /tmp is too small [when i want to use "convert"]. how can i set imagemagick, to use an other tmp folder, what has enough space?

I'm not going to tell you to go away as some others have done, but I
will give you a few tips that will help you get more answers to your
questions and fewer flames.

This list is mostly populated by people who enjoy working with computers
and solving problems. We enjoy figuring out how to do something. We
enjoy helping other people solve their problems. However, we expect
that people do some research of their own before coming here. We are a
community of people who enjoy helping each other, not an unpaid tech
support service.

1) Do some research on your own. Search Google. Read the man pages.
Check the FAQs on the program website (if applicable).

2) When you ask the question, let us know what you have already tried.
Don't lie about it, either. If you say you have read the man page, but
we know the answer to your question is plainly stated there, you are
going to get flamed.

3) Don't be upset if the answer you get is a pointer to look somewhere
else. Go there and look. If you still can't find the answer, let us
know and someone may be willing to give a more specific reference.

4) Ask the question in the right place. This list is great and has lots
of smart people, but it is not the proper place for all questions. Your
question about Imagemagick would probably be better asked in an
Imagemagick forum. Off-topic questions are not strictly forbidden, but
points 1-3 are even more important if your question is off-topic. It is
also a good idea to explain WHY you are asking an off-topic question on
this list rather than somewhere else.

The main point is this: We want to help you fix your problem. We don't
want to do all the work for you. If you do not show that you are
willing to attempt to find the solution yourself, you are not likely to
get much help from us.

--
Bowie

Old 01-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Les Mikesell

On 1/21/2011 9:10 AM, Bowie Bailey wrote:

> 4) Ask the question in the right place. This list is great and has lots
> of smart people, but it is not the proper place for all questions. Your
> question about Imagemagick would probably be better asked in an
> Imagemagick forum. Off-topic questions are not strictly forbidden, but
> points 1-3 are even more important if your question is off-topic. It is
> also a good idea to explain WHY you are asking an off-topic question on
> this list rather than somewhere else.

Errr, last time I looked, the environment variable that controls what
directory is used for temporary files was platform specific unless the
application does something very non-standard. I think on CentOS and
things with similar libraries, that would be TMPDIR.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 01-21-2011, 03:39 PM
Bowie Bailey

On 1/21/2011 11:16 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 1/21/2011 9:10 AM, Bowie Bailey wrote:
>> 4) Ask the question in the right place. This list is great and has lots
>> of smart people, but it is not the proper place for all questions. Your
>> question about Imagemagick would probably be better asked in an
>> Imagemagick forum. Off-topic questions are not strictly forbidden, but
>> points 1-3 are even more important if your question is off-topic. It is
>> also a good idea to explain WHY you are asking an off-topic question on
>> this list rather than somewhere else.
> Errr, last time I looked, the environment variable that controls what
> directory is used for temporary files was platform specific unless the
> application does something very non-standard. I think on CentOS and
> things with similar libraries, that would be TMPDIR.

Considering that he didn't specify his OS and also apparently
cross-posted the question to Ubuntu-users and Debian-users, we know
absolutely nothing about his system. Not even the ImageMagick version...

If he had said: "On Centos 5 with ImageMagick 6.6.7, how do I change the
temp directory so I don't run out of space doing a Convert?", then it
would be more obvious that the question wasn't totally off-topic.

The general suggestion is valid regardless. Always make sure you are
posting your question to a relevant list for the best shot at getting an
answer.

--
Bowie

Old 01-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Keith Keller

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 10:10:28AM -0500, Bowie Bailey wrote:
> On 1/21/2011 4:14 AM, S Mathias wrote:
> > my /tmp is too small [when i want to use "convert"]. how can i set imagemagick, to use an other tmp folder, what has enough space?
>
> I'm not going to tell you to go away as some others have done

I imagine that, if the OP's posting habits continue, the decision to
leave the list may be made for him. I am not normally one for removing
people from lists, but the OP is really getting intolerable.

To the OP: if you are involuntarily kicked off this list, you can try
asking your poorly-researched questions on usenet, specifically the
comp.os.linux.* newsgroups. The advantage is that you can never be
kicked out of a newsgroup; the disadvantage is that people won't be
nearly as patient there as they have been here.

--keith

--
kkeller@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us

Old 01-21-2011, 04:59 PM
Leonard den Ottolander

On Fri, 2011-01-21 at 08:45 -0800, Keith Keller wrote:
> I imagine that, if the OP's posting habits continue, the decision to
> leave the list may be made for him. I am not normally one for removing
> people from lists, but the OP is really getting intolerable.

+1

Regards,
Leonard.