Old 01-21-2011, 07:37 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default still looking for decent PDF annotation tool

i do a lot of proofreading/editing for a publisher and i typically
get Word-format content that i can easily annotate in oowriter. my
changes are either in-place edits or side notes added with Ctl-Alt-N,
while displaying and recording all the changes.

occasionally, though, the only available format for a document is
PDF, and i'd really like to be able to make the same changes to a PDF
doc. is there an open-source solution for this? if not, i'm prepared
to get something commercial.

rday

http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 01-21-2011, 07:51 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> i do a lot of proofreading/editing for a publisher and i typically
> get Word-format content that i can easily annotate in oowriter. my
> changes are either in-place edits or side notes added with
> Ctl-Alt-N, while displaying and recording all the changes.
>
> occasionally, though, the only available format for a document is
> PDF, and i'd really like to be able to make the same changes to a
> PDF doc. is there an open-source solution for this? if not, i'm
> prepared to get something commercial.

never mind, i just found this page:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/1529/how-can-i-highlight-pdfs

i'm guessing something there should do what i want, although i'm still
open to recommendations from people who actually do this sort of
thing which is the best tool for the job. thanks.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:58 AM
Bas Roufs

Hello

> *i do a lot of proofreading/editing for a publisher ....

> *occasionally, though, the only available format for a document is
> PDF (snip)....

The PDF reader "Okular" contains a seemingly smart functionality for
this purpose. It is the same package which is being pointed at the
page you have found yourself:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/1529/how-can-i-highlight-pdf

To annotate, etc.pen the PDF document in Okular
tools > review or F6.
You can make text annotations "inline" or next to the text.
Additionally, you can make yellow highlights, straight yellow lines,
polygons, put stamp symbols, underline the text with a black line and
make cyan ellipses.
Okular is a typical KDE/Kubuntu package. However, it is also possible
to install it from the repository in any other *Ubuntu distribution.
Respectfully yours,

Bas.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:08 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011, Bas Roufs wrote:

> The PDF reader "Okular" contains a seemingly smart functionality for
> this purpose. It is the same package which is being pointed at the
> page you have found yourself:
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/1529/how-can-i-highlight-pdf
>
> To annotate, etc.pen the PDF document in Okular
> tools > review or F6.
> You can make text annotations "inline" or next to the text.
> Additionally, you can make yellow highlights, straight yellow lines,
> polygons, put stamp symbols, underline the text with a black line and
> make cyan ellipses.
> Okular is a typical KDE/Kubuntu package. However, it is also possible
> to install it from the repository in any other *Ubuntu distribution.
> Respectfully yours,

from what i read online, the newest version of evince is supposed to
support commenting PDF, but the stable version for ubuntu 10.10
doesn't seem to have that capability yet. i'm guessing i need
unstable, or download and build from the sources, unless i'm missing
something.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Bas Roufs

> *from what i read online, the newest version of evince is supposed to
> support commenting PDF, but the stable version for ubuntu 10.10
> doesn't seem to have that capability yet. *i'm guessing i need
> unstable, or download and build from the sources, unless i'm missing
> something.

What I would do in your situation:
* Go to some package manager - Synaptics, Software Centre or whatever;
* look via the search window for "Okular";
* install that package - it should also work in Gnome in my opinion;
* alternatively you could use a command line: sudo apt-get install okular

Respectfully yours,

Bas.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Arnaud G

I know it's not free but I do a lot of pdf work and find it excellent. PDF studio from qoppa
http://www.qoppa.com/pdfstudio/index.html

* i do a lot of proofreading/editing for a publisher and i typically
get Word-format content that i can easily annotate in oowriter.* my
changes are either in-place edits or side notes added with Ctl-Alt-N,
while displaying and recording all the changes.

* occasionally, though, the only available format for a document is
PDF, and i'd really like to be able to make the same changes to a PDF
doc.* is there an open-source solution for this?* if not, i'm prepared
to get something commercial.

rday

Robert P. J. Day* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Old 01-21-2011, 02:37 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011, Bas Roufs wrote:

> > *from what i read online, the newest version of evince is supposed to
> > support commenting PDF, but the stable version for ubuntu 10.10
> > doesn't seem to have that capability yet. *i'm guessing i need
> > unstable, or download and build from the sources, unless i'm missing
> > something.
>
> What I would do in your situation:
> * Go to some package manager - Synaptics, Software Centre or whatever;
> * look via the search window for "Okular";
> * install that package - it should also work in Gnome in my opinion;
> * alternatively you could use a command line: sudo apt-get install okular

um, i *know* how to install a package in ubuntu. my point above was
that some online documentation i read suggested that evince had been
recently enhanced to support commenting PDF files, but the stable
version for 10.10 doesn't seem to have anything like that; at least
nothing that i've noticed unless i just can't see it.

what i wrote above has nothing to do with okular, so i don't
understand what point you're making.

rday