Old 01-21-2011, 12:20 AM

Default LoJack for Laptops

Greetings All:

On another list I participate in, there was some discussion of LoJack for Laptops. Apparently a number of laptops come with a module installed in the BIOS that will reinstall the software on a "supported OS" regardless of whether you are a subscriber.

I found this discussion from a couple of years ago advocating for inclusion of support for this feature in ubuntu and / or the linux kernel.
There is also mention of a similar facility being brainstormed here:
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/3833/

But I can't find much else. Anyone know if this is under serious consideration by Cannonical or anyone else who could implement?

For what it's worth, I understand why people would be intrigued. But I don't want something on my machine with the ability to "phone home" without my permission and certainly not to some company unknown to me.

Thanks for thoughts -

--PE