Old 01-20-2011, 06:01 PM
Larry Shields

Default Startup disk using a usb SanDisk 8gb Problem...

*I have tried three times to install 10.10 on my 8gb USB SanDisk, too
boot up from it, but I've had no-luck in doing so...
Is one supposed to erase or format this device first, before it will
bootup...???

It does copy everything from the iso to it, with the boot folder,
casper, dists, install, pics, pool, etc...

So can anyone tell me as to why it does not boot...???

Oh and yes I have my bios set to boot from a cd or dvd...

Thanks for any help on this...

Larry
*

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 10.4 Ultimate Edition 2.7

Reg# Linux User 484593

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

Old 01-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Matt Harrison

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 2:01 PM, Larry Shields <larryesu@charter.net> wrote:
> *I have tried three times to install 10.10 on my 8gb USB SanDisk, too boot
> up from it, but I've had no-luck in doing so...
> Is one supposed to erase or format this device first, before it will
> bootup...???
>
> It does copy everything from the iso to it, with the boot folder, casper,
> dists, install, pics, pool, etc...
>
> So can anyone tell me as to why it does not boot...???
>
> Oh and yes I have my bios set to boot from a cd or dvd...
>
> Thanks for any help on this...
>
> Larry
> *
>
> --
> Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
> by Ubuntu ver 10.4 Ultimate Edition 2.7
> 73 de Larry/wd9esu 34yr's A.R.O.
>
> Reg# Linux User 484593
>
> "This is Linux Country,
> on a quiet night you can hear
> WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"
>
> GPG Fingerprint: A4D2 BFC2 B21B 8F7A C336 EFDC 7039 3CA5 3332 076E
> Public Key available from subkeys.pgp.net

With the USB drive plugged in, check your BIOS for Hard Disk Boot
Priority or see if you have an option to boot from USB. Booting from
CD/DVD is pointless when trying to boot from a USB drive.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Larry Shields

*I have tried three times to install 10.10 on my 8gb USB SanDisk, too boot
up from it, but I've had no-luck in doing so...
Is one supposed to erase or format this device first, before it will
bootup...???

It does copy everything from the iso to it, with the boot folder, casper,
dists, install, pics, pool, etc...

So can anyone tell me as to why it does not boot...???

Oh and yes I have my bios set to boot from a cd or dvd...

Thanks for any help on this...

Larry
*

With the USB drive plugged in, check your BIOS for Hard Disk Boot
Priority or see if you have an option to boot from USB. Booting from
CD/DVD is pointless when trying to boot from a USB drive.

*Well I did check my BIOS and I have these listed.
USB-FDD
USB-ZIP
USB-CDROM
USB-HDD

That is all, so maybe I do not the one that is needed for it too boot
correctly...???

Thanks for the reply...

Larry

*

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 10.10 Maverick

Reg# Linux User 484593

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

Old 01-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Matt Harrison

> Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 14:56:43 -0600
> From: Larry Shields <larryesu@charter.net>
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, * * not for general discussions"
> * * * *<ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Re: Startup disk using a usb SanDisk 8gb Problem...
>
> On 01/20/2011 01:04 PM, Matt Harrison wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 2:01 PM, Larry Shields<larryesu@charter.net> *wrote:
>>> *I have tried three times to install 10.10 on my 8gb USB SanDisk, too boot
>>> up from it, but I've had no-luck in doing so...
>>> Is one supposed to erase or format this device first, before it will
>>> bootup...???
>>>
>>> It does copy everything from the iso to it, with the boot folder, casper,
>>> dists, install, pics, pool, etc...
>>>
>>> So can anyone tell me as to why it does not boot...???
>>>
>>> Oh and yes I have my bios set to boot from a cd or dvd...
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help on this...
>>>
>>> Larry
>>> *
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>> With the USB drive plugged in, check your BIOS for Hard Disk Boot
>> Priority or see if you have an option to boot from USB. *Booting from
>> CD/DVD is pointless when trying to boot from a USB drive.
>>
> *Well I did check my BIOS and I have these listed.
> USB-FDD
> USB-ZIP
> USB-CDROM
> USB-HDD
>
> That is all, so maybe I do not the one that is needed for it too boot
> correctly...???
>
> Thanks for the reply...
>
> Larry
>
> *
>
> --
> Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
> by Ubuntu ver 10.10 Maverick
> 73 de Larry/wd9esu 34yr's A.R.O.
>
> Reg# Linux User 484593
>
> "This is Linux Country,
> on a quiet night you can hear
> WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"
>
> GPG Fingerprint: A4D2 BFC2 B21B 8F7A C336 EFDC 7039 3CA5 3332 076E
> Public Key available from subkeys.pgp.net

Ok, I would select the USB-HDD as the first boot device and try again.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:35 PM
Basil Chupin

*I have tried three times to install 10.10 on my 8gb USB SanDisk, too
boot up from it, but I've had no-luck in doing so...
Is one supposed to erase or format this device first, before it will
bootup...???

It does copy everything from the iso to it, with the boot folder,
casper, dists, install, pics, pool, etc...

So can anyone tell me as to why it does not boot...???

Oh and yes I have my bios set to boot from a cd or dvd...

Thanks for any help on this...

You are using the Startup Disc Creator option in System>Administration
to create a bootable installation flash disc, right? If so, the flash
disc has to be formatted in mosdos (FAT32 will do) otherwise the booting
routine on the disc will not work.

On the other hand, if you are creating a fully functioning system on the
8GB flash disc (you only need a 2GB for a Startup disc) then come back
to me and I will find the article which tells you how to do it.

BC

--
"To know that we know what we know, and that we do not know what we do not know, that is true knowledge."
Confucius

Old 01-20-2011, 11:58 PM
Basil Chupin

[...]

A correction to what I stated in the last para above: you will need a
16GB flash if you want to make full use of the OS using the flash disc -
8GB would be rather limiting. I installed mine on a 16GB flash.

BC

Old 01-21-2011, 11:28 AM
Yorvyk

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 14:56:43 -0600
Larry Shields <larryesu@charter.net> wrote:

> On 01/20/2011 01:04 PM, Matt Harrison wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 2:01 PM, Larry Shields<larryesu@charter.net> wrote:
> >> *I have tried three times to install 10.10 on my 8gb USB SanDisk, too boot
> >> up from it, but I've had no-luck in doing so...
> >> Is one supposed to erase or format this device first, before it will
> >> bootup...???
> >>
> >> It does copy everything from the iso to it, with the boot folder, casper,
> >> dists, install, pics, pool, etc...
> >>
> >> So can anyone tell me as to why it does not boot...???
> >>
> >> Oh and yes I have my bios set to boot from a cd or dvd...
> >>
> >> Thanks for any help on this...
> >>
> >> Larry
> >> *
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> > With the USB drive plugged in, check your BIOS for Hard Disk Boot
> > Priority or see if you have an option to boot from USB. Booting from
> > CD/DVD is pointless when trying to boot from a USB drive.
> >
> *Well I did check my BIOS and I have these listed.
> USB-FDD
> USB-ZIP
> USB-CDROM
> USB-HDD
>
> That is all, so maybe I do not the one that is needed for it too boot
> correctly...???
>
> Thanks for the reply...

Have you tried them all? I have found, thanks to a tip from somebody else, USB-ZIP to to work on a lot of older machines with only the above options.

--
Steve Cook (Yorvyk)

http://lubuntu.net

Old 01-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Yorvyk

Old 01-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Larry Shields

On 01/20/2011 06:35 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:

[...]

*Hello BC,

Yes I am using startup disc Creator, and on my BIOS settings of using
USB-HDD from what the other fellow mentioned to try out I get this
NTLDR is missing Press CTRL & ALT & Del to restart...So something there
is wrong also...

When I used disc Creator I moved the slider to the highest level, not
sure if that is correct or not...I will try and format the whole 8gb's
and try it once again...I also have looked on Ubuntu's Website about
using the flash disc, but it did not work at all for me...

Ok I also have it formated in FAT 32 so that I do...

Sure it would be nice to have 16gb's, but I only have 8gb's so I just
wanted to try it out first to see if I could get it too boot, but as of
yet it is a no-go for me...

Thanks for the reply...

Larry
*

Old 01-22-2011, 01:14 AM
Basil Chupin

On 22/01/2011 03:49, Larry Shields wrote:

[...]

It does depend on the brand/version of the BIOS but I think that you
will find that the flash disc should run with USB-ZIP setting -- but as
already suggested you may have to try them all.

from what the other fellow mentioned to try out I get this
NTLDR is missing Press CTRL & ALT & Del to restart...So something
there is wrong also...

When I used disc Creator I moved the slider to the highest level, not
sure if that is correct or not...I will try and format the whole 8gb's
and try it once again...I also have looked on Ubuntu's Website about
using the flash disc, but it did not work at all for me...

Sorry, without actually starting the Creator up I don't remember a
slider nor what it does so cannot say if this right or not.

But read, and follow, the URL I gave you on how to create a bootable
flash disc although the Creator should work perfectly as it did for me.
But as I said, the disc has to be formatted in msdos for the loader to work.

Ok I also have it formated in FAT 32 so that I do...

Sure it would be nice to have 16gb's, but I only have 8gb's so I just
wanted to try it out first to see if I could get it too boot, but as
of yet it is a no-go for me...

Thanks for the reply...

No problem.

Good luck.