Old 01-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Larry Shields

Default Startup disk using a usb SanDisk 8gb Problem...

On 01/21/2011 08:14 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:

On 22/01/2011 03:49, Larry Shields wrote:

On 01/20/2011 06:35 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:

On 21/01/2011 06:01, Larry Shields wrote:
*I have tried three times to install 10.10 on my 8gb USB SanDisk,
too boot up from it, but I've had no-luck in doing so...
Is one supposed to erase or format this device first, before it
will bootup...???

It does copy everything from the iso to it, with the boot folder,
casper, dists, install, pics, pool, etc...

So can anyone tell me as to why it does not boot...???

Oh and yes I have my bios set to boot from a cd or dvd...

Thanks for any help on this...

You are using the Startup Disc Creator option in
System>Administration to create a bootable installation flash disc,
right? If so, the flash disc has to be formatted in mosdos (FAT32
will do) otherwise the booting routine on the disc will not work.

On the other hand, if you are creating a fully functioning system on
the 8GB flash disc (you only need a 2GB for a Startup disc) then
come back to me and I will find the article which tells you how to
do it.

BC

*Hello BC,

Yes I am using startup disc Creator, and on my BIOS settings of using
USB-HDD

It does depend on the brand/version of the BIOS but I think that you
will find that the flash disc should run with USB-ZIP setting -- but
as already suggested you may have to try them all.

from what the other fellow mentioned to try out I get this
NTLDR is missing Press CTRL & ALT & Del to restart...So something
there is wrong also...

When I used disc Creator I moved the slider to the highest level, not
sure if that is correct or not...I will try and format the whole
8gb's and try it once again...I also have looked on Ubuntu's Website
about using the flash disc, but it did not work at all for me...

Sorry, without actually starting the Creator up I don't remember a
slider nor what it does so cannot say if this right or not.

But read, and follow, the URL I gave you on how to create a bootable
flash disc although the Creator should work perfectly as it did for
me. But as I said, the disc has to be formatted in msdos for the
loader to work.

Ok I also have it formated in FAT 32 so that I do...

Sure it would be nice to have 16gb's, but I only have 8gb's so I just
wanted to try it out first to see if I could get it too boot, but as
of yet it is a no-go for me...

Thanks for the reply...

No problem.

Good luck.

BC

*Hello Basil,

Well the BIOS is Phoenix Award 6.00PG, and I have tried using USB-FDD
yet it then comes up saying, "this is not a bootable disk, please insert
a bootable floppy"

Now I have looked back to all of your postings on this issue, and the
URL you never gave me, so please try sending it once again ok...

Thanks for all of your help...

Larry
*

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 10.4 Ultimate Edition 2.7

Reg# Linux User 484593

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

Old 01-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Basil Chupin

[...]

The URL which I didn't send has to do with installing the OS on a 16GB
flash disc and it is:

http://superuser.com/questions/147619/install-persistent-ubuntu-lucid-lynx-on-16-gb-pen-drive

But the following one refers to Ubuntu 8 and the Disc Creator in
System>Administration really supercedes this but nevertheless the URL is:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ubuntu-810-persistent-flash-drive-install-from-live-cd/

or use this:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-from-usb-stick.html

BC

--
Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:20 PM
Larry Shields

[...]

*Thanks Basil,

I will check those URL's out...