FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Verde Denim
 
Default card reader

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 1:24 PM, James Tappin <sjt@star.sr.bham.ac.uk> wrote:

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 11:36:04 -0500

Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:



VD> I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 (64-bit) on a Dell 830 that has a 02Micro card

VD> reader.

VD> I have virtualbox 3.2.12 running an xp (32 bit) guest. In the usb devices

VD> tray icon I can see this as O2Micro CCID SC Reader [0110],

VD> but the selection is grey (not selectable).

VD> I do have the reader app installed from my office (which does work on a

VD> native environment).

VD> On the host, running pcsc_scan shows the reader correctly, and does detect

VD> when my card is inserted and removed.

VD> I must be missing something as to why this selection is not available in the

VD> guest.

VD> Any input is appreciated.



IIRC, USB is disabled in the free version of virtualbox.

I'm running the PUEL version. From what I read on this version, USB should be available. Is that not accurate?




--

+------------------------+-------------------------------+---------+

| James Tappin * * * * * | School of Physics & Astronomy | *O__ * *|

| sjt@star.sr.bham.ac.uk | University of Birmingham * * *| -- */` |

| Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722 * * * * * * * * *| * * * * |

+--------------------------------------------------------+---------+



--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-20-2011, 08:19 PM
MR ZenWiz
 
Default card reader

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
> I'm running the PUEL version. From what I read on this version, USB should
> be available. Is that not accurate?

Is this a problem with all USB devices or just this one?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-20-2011, 09:12 PM
Verde Denim
 
Default card reader

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 4:19 PM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:

>

>

> I'm running the PUEL version. From what I read on this version, USB should

> be available. Is that not accurate?



Is this a problem with all USB devices or just this one?

When I bring up the guest machine, there are four devices listed under USB.

Logitech USB Receiver [3810]***************************** Not Available

STMicroelectronics Biometric Coprocessor [0001] Available
O2Micro CCID SC Reader [0110]************************ Not Available
Unknown Device 413C:8140 [4870]********************* Not Available

The second one is the only one that is selectable; the others are greyed out.

What other information can I supply that might be of help in tracking this down?

Jack






--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-21-2011, 01:23 AM
NoOp
 
Default card reader

On 01/20/2011 09:36 AM, Verde Denim wrote:
> All
> I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 (64-bit) on a Dell 830 that has a 02Micro card
> reader.
> I have virtualbox 3.2.12 running an xp (32 bit) guest. In the usb devices
> tray icon I can see this as O2Micro CCID SC Reader [0110],
> but the selection is grey (not selectable).
> I do have the reader app installed from my office (which does work on a
> native environment).
> On the host, running pcsc_scan shows the reader correctly, and does detect
> when my card is inserted and removed.
> I must be missing something as to why this selection is not available in the
> guest.
> Any input is appreciated.
>
> Jack
>
>

Your best bet is to post on the VirtualBox user discussions list:
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Community
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Mailing_lists

Note: VBox 4.0.2 is out & it's probably time to upgrade:
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-21-2011, 02:10 AM
Verde Denim
 
Default card reader

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 9:23 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 01/20/2011 09:36 AM, Verde Denim wrote:

> All

> I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 (64-bit) on a Dell 830 that has a 02Micro card

> reader.

> I have virtualbox 3.2.12 running an xp (32 bit) guest. In the usb devices

> tray icon I can see this as O2Micro CCID SC Reader [0110],

> but the selection is grey (not selectable).

> I do have the reader app installed from my office (which does work on a

> native environment).

> On the host, running pcsc_scan shows the reader correctly, and does detect

> when my card is inserted and removed.

> I must be missing something as to why this selection is not available in the

> guest.

> Any input is appreciated.

>

> Jack

>

>



Your best bet is to post on the VirtualBox user discussions list:

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Community

*http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Mailing_lists



Note: VBox 4.0.2 is out & it's probably time to upgrade:

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads


Thanks, NoOp. I've downloaded 4 and the extension pack as a backup plan. If I don't get this resolved by tomorrow, that's my next step. I just need to make sure my 5 virtuals will survive the upgrade. I did see some activity on the varous forums about 3/Ubuntu/card readers and was wondering if I wasn't trying to fix something that I had little or no control of...


Jack

--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-21-2011, 02:19 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi
 
Default card reader

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 1:10 AM, Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 9:23 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 01/20/2011 09:36 AM, Verde Denim wrote:
>> > All
>> > I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 (64-bit) on a Dell 830 that has a 02Micro card
>> > reader.
>> > I have virtualbox 3.2.12 running an xp (32 bit) guest. In the usb
>> > devices
>> > tray icon I can see this as O2Micro CCID SC Reader [0110],
>> > but the selection is grey (not selectable).
>> > I do have the reader app installed from my office (which does work on a
>> > native environment).
>> > On the host, running pcsc_scan shows the reader correctly, and does
>> > detect
>> > when my card is inserted and removed.
>> > I must be missing something as to why this selection is not available in
>> > the
>> > guest.
>> > Any input is appreciated.
>> >
>> > Jack
>> >
>> >
>>
>> Your best bet is to post on the VirtualBox user discussions list:
>> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Community
>> *http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Mailing_lists
>>
>> Note: VBox 4.0.2 is out & it's probably time to upgrade:
>> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
>>
> Thanks, NoOp. I've downloaded 4 and the extension pack as a backup plan. If
> I don't get this resolved by tomorrow, that's my next step. I just need to
> make sure my 5 virtuals will survive the upgrade. I did see some activity on
> the varous forums about 3/Ubuntu/card readers and was wondering if I wasn't
> trying to fix something that I had little or no control of...
>
> Jack

Check in System / Administration / Users and Groups if your username
really belongs to the vboxusers group. For some weird reason USB
devices may be unreachable in VB when the user does not belong to this
group.


--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
GNU-Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/
Ubuntu 10.10 AMD64

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-21-2011, 02:40 AM
Verde Denim
 
Default card reader

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 10:19 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 1:10 AM, Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:

>

>

> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 9:23 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>

>> On 01/20/2011 09:36 AM, Verde Denim wrote:

>> > All

>> > I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 (64-bit) on a Dell 830 that has a 02Micro card

>> > reader.

>> > I have virtualbox 3.2.12 running an xp (32 bit) guest. In the usb

>> > devices

>> > tray icon I can see this as O2Micro CCID SC Reader [0110],

>> > but the selection is grey (not selectable).

>> > I do have the reader app installed from my office (which does work on a

>> > native environment).

>> > On the host, running pcsc_scan shows the reader correctly, and does

>> > detect

>> > when my card is inserted and removed.

>> > I must be missing something as to why this selection is not available in

>> > the

>> > guest.

>> > Any input is appreciated.

>> >

>> > Jack

>> >

>> >

>>

>> Your best bet is to post on the VirtualBox user discussions list:

>> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Community

>> *http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Mailing_lists

>>

>> Note: VBox 4.0.2 is out & it's probably time to upgrade:

>> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

>>

> Thanks, NoOp. I've downloaded 4 and the extension pack as a backup plan. If

> I don't get this resolved by tomorrow, that's my next step. I just need to

> make sure my 5 virtuals will survive the upgrade. I did see some activity on

> the varous forums about 3/Ubuntu/card readers and was wondering if I wasn't

> trying to fix something that I had little or no control of...

>

> Jack



Check in System / Administration / Users and Groups if your username

really belongs to the vboxusers group. For some weird reason USB

devices may be unreachable in VB when the user does not belong to this

group.


I just checked the user properties. My username is in that group, but in looking at the user privileges, I did notice that 'Use Virtualbox virtualization solution' was not checked. I'm wondering if this might not have something to do with the problem, although the fact that the fingerprint reader is available but not the card reader is* something more of a mystery. It would be nice to be able to selectively take those devices out but they don't show in the devices dialog. I'll check with the forums at virtualbox and, if all else fails, remove version 3 and install version 4 and see where that takes me. Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your help.


Jack

--

L M Nicolosi, Eng.

GNU-Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/

Ubuntu 10.10 AMD64



--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-21-2011, 02:50 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi
 
Default card reader

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 1:40 AM, Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:

>>
>> Check in System / Administration / Users and Groups if your username
>> really belongs to the vboxusers group. For some weird reason USB
>> devices may be unreachable in VB when the user does not belong to this
>> group.
>>
> I just checked the user properties. My username is in that group, but in
> looking at the user privileges, I did notice that 'Use Virtualbox
> virtualization solution' was not checked. I'm wondering if this might not
> have something to do with the problem, although the fact that the
> fingerprint reader is available but not the card reader is* something more
> of a mystery. It would be nice to be able to selectively take those devices
> out but they don't show in the devices dialog. I'll check with the forums at
> virtualbox and, if all else fails, remove version 3 and install version 4
> and see where that takes me.


Before installing v. 4 try to reboot your system, VBox in embedded
into your kernel, sometimes it takes a reboot for a change to be
enabled.

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
GNU-Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/
Ubuntu 10.10 AMD64

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:29 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org