-   -   using kismet in Ubuntu (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/478874-using-kismet-ubuntu.html)

Bond 01-20-2011 08:53 AM

using kismet in Ubuntu

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Bond <jamesbond.2k.g@gmail.com> wrote:
> I installed kismet on my system as
> aptitude install kismet.
> But when I run kismet I do not find any ncurses sort of interface as I
> expect give here
> http://openmaniak.com/kismet_conf.php
>
> and this is the error I get
>
> kismet
> Launching kismet_server: //usr/bin/kismet_server
> Suid priv-dropping disabled. *This may not be secure.
> No specific sources given to be enabled, all will be enabled.
> Non-RFMon VAPs will be destroyed on multi-vap interfaces (ie, madwifi-ng)
> Enabling channel hopping.
> Enabling channel splitting.
> NOTICE: Disabling channel hopping, no enabled sources are able to
> change channel.
> Source 0 (addme): Opening none source interface none...
> FATAL: Please configure at least one packet source. *Kismet will not
> function if no packet sources are defined in kismet.conf or on the
> command line. *Please read the README for more information about
> configuring Kismet.
> Kismet exiting.
> Done.
>
> So what could be the problem?

I wanted to update more on this problem

I followed this guide
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/kismet-an-802-11-wireless-network-detector-sniffer-and-intrusion-detection-system.html#more-1776

how ever in kismet.conf I am not clear with following line

source=none,none,addme

as to what should I change this to.

lspci -vnn shows

0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312
802.11b/g [14e4:4315] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:000c]
Memory at f69fc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: [58] Vendor Specific Information <?>
Capabilities: [e8] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
Capabilities: [d0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting <?>
Capabilities: [13c] Virtual Channel <?>
Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number
Capabilities: [16c] Power Budgeting <?>
Kernel driver in use: wl
Kernel modules: wl, ssb

and

iwconfig shows

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

eth1 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:"WIKUCD"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: <00:43:92:21:H5:09>
Bit Rate=11 Mb/s Tx-Power:24 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Managementmode:All packets received
Link Quality=1/5 Signal level=-81 dBm Noise level=-90 dBm

So what should I be putting in place of
source=none,none,addme
with output I mentioned above ?

Alan Pope 01-20-2011 09:26 AM

using kismet in Ubuntu

On 20 January 2011 09:53, Bond <jamesbond.2k.g@gmail.com> wrote:
> 0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312

> So what should I be putting in place of
> source=none,none,addme

http://www.google.com/search?q=BCM4312+kismet

Above indicates that it might not work with that card, even if you got
the line right.

Al.

Bond 01-20-2011 09:32 AM

using kismet in Ubuntu

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Alan Pope <popey@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 20 January 2011 09:53, Bond <jamesbond.2k.g@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312
>
>> So what should I be putting in place of
>> source=none,none,addme
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=BCM4312+kismet
>
> Above indicates that it might not work with that card, even if you got
> the line right.

o O :(