Old 01-20-2011, 08:26 AM
Thomas Blasejewicz

Default wine and fonts

Good evening
I am trying to set up Ubuntu 10.04 / 10.10 (both, on different
computers) and have already installed Wine in the hope to run some of
the software I cannot find anything comparative for Linux for.

Problem: I work with Japanese and some of the said software (like
dictionary readers etc.) uses a Japanese interface.
I installed that software and it does start, but all buttons, menu items
etc. are just rows of question marks. Input does not work either.
Reading the instructions it says there, that Wine (or Crossover too) are
"contained" within Linux with own (virtual) drives, fonts etc.
Referring to sites like:
http://wiki.jswindle.com/index.php/Fonts
http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks
http://cinnamonpirate.com/project/software/winelocale/
http://code.google.com/p/winelocale/
http://code.google.com/p/winelocale/wiki/AddLocalesToDebian

I learned, that you have to "load core fonts". Probably I have succeeded
in doing so, but that has no effect.
Most likely, because those core fonts do not include Japanese fonts.
The system itself (Ubuntu) allows me to use Japanese with no problems.

Can I just copy fonts from Ubuntu into the Wine environment?
Or does that require some of the highly sophisticated proceedures using
lots of commands that I do not know/understand?
Could copying fonts mess up the system?

Thank you in advance.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:25 PM
Tony Pursell

On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 18:26 +0900, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
> Good evening
> I am trying to set up Ubuntu 10.04 / 10.10 (both, on different
> computers) and have already installed Wine in the hope to run some of
> the software I cannot find anything comparative for Linux for.
>
> Problem: I work with Japanese and some of the said software (like
> dictionary readers etc.) uses a Japanese interface.
> I installed that software and it does start, but all buttons, menu items
> etc. are just rows of question marks. Input does not work either.
> Reading the instructions it says there, that Wine (or Crossover too) are
> "contained" within Linux with own (virtual) drives, fonts etc.
> Referring to sites like:
> http://wiki.jswindle.com/index.php/Fonts
> http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks
> http://cinnamonpirate.com/project/software/winelocale/
> http://code.google.com/p/winelocale/
> http://code.google.com/p/winelocale/wiki/AddLocalesToDebian
>
> I learned, that you have to "load core fonts". Probably I have succeeded
> in doing so, but that has no effect.
> Most likely, because those core fonts do not include Japanese fonts.
> The system itself (Ubuntu) allows me to use Japanese with no problems.
>
> Can I just copy fonts from Ubuntu into the Wine environment?
> Or does that require some of the highly sophisticated proceedures using
> lots of commands that I do not know/understand?
> Could copying fonts mess up the system?
>
> Thank you in advance.

Hi Thomas

I think it would be best to ask the Wine guys about this. They have
mailing lists and a forum. Go to

http://forum.winehq.org/index.php

and click on Wine Users.

Tony