Old 01-20-2011, 06:52 AM
Tapas Mishra

Default using transmission torrent client behind a proxy

I should not be asking this question as it is a straight forward thing
but the situation where I use my machine.
I am having internet connection in an environment whose proxies I do not know.
In firefox
Edit->Preferences->Network->Connection-->Settings --->Use system Proxy
settings option is there.
So I have not given any IP or port combination here and my Internet
works very smoothly.

Now here is a situation I wanted to download some Linux DVD's and I
used Transmission
since I have no proxy specified in Firefox so I thought it might
work.Which did not happen.
I checked
Transmission-->Edit-->Preferences-->Proxy

I have no clue as what value should I enter here.(Since the
environment I mentioned has given me a direct Internet access.
So if I want to use Transmission on port 80 (in above scenario)
what should I be doing?

Since Firefox uses System Proxy settings and in one day I am at
different places(different organizations)
each place has a different network environment but I have internet
working each time (without any change to any Firefox settings)
so if I want to use Transmission also simultaneousy (in a situation
where I am not aware of proxy or proxy does not exist but rest ports
are blocked)
then what should I be doing?

--
Thanks
Tapas

Old 01-20-2011, 07:48 AM
Alan Pope

n 20 January 2011 07:52, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> I should not be asking this question as it is a straight forward thing
> but the situation where I use my machine.
> I am having internet connection in an environment whose proxies I do not know.
> In firefox
> Edit->Preferences->Network->Connection-->Settings --->Use system Proxy
> settings option is there.
> So I have not given any IP or port combination here and my Internet
> works very smoothly.

Do you actually use a proxy though? That dialog just means "Don't
maintain my own proxy settings, use whatever the host proxy settings
are". Which you'll find in System -> preferences -> network proxy.
That's your proxy server address, if indeed there is one.

> Since Firefox uses System Proxy settings and in one day I am at
> different places(different organizations)
> *each place has a different network environment but I have internet
> working each time (without any change to any Firefox settings)

So maybe there is no proxy?

If you go to http://www.whatsmyip.org/more/ do you see "Proxy: No
Proxy or Invisible Proxy Used "? In addition is there an
HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR which may indicate a proxy is in use.

> so if I want to use Transmission also simultaneousy (in a situation
> where I am not aware of proxy or proxy does not exist but rest ports
> are blocked)
> then what should I be doing?

Firstly I'd make sure you're allowed to use bittorrent on the networks
you're on. Most corporate and education networks (rightly or wrongly)
block bittorrent where I am, proxy or not.

Cheers,
Al.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:27 AM
Bond

There is some thing known as Hamachi on windows you can use it and
configure a socks proxy to torrent client.
Search some thing similar for Linux.That will work in this situation.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:46 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Alan Pope <popey@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> n 20 January 2011 07:52, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I should not be asking this question as it is a straight forward thing
>> but the situation where I use my machine.
>> I am having internet connection in an environment whose proxies I do not know.
>> In firefox
>> Edit->Preferences->Network->Connection-->Settings --->Use system Proxy
>> settings option is there.
>> So I have not given any IP or port combination here and my Internet
>> works very smoothly.
>>

> Do you actually use a proxy though? That dialog just means "Don't
> maintain my own proxy settings, use whatever the host proxy settings
> are". Which you'll find in System -> preferences -> network proxy.
> That's your proxy server address, if indeed there is one.
>
>> Since Firefox uses System Proxy settings and in one day I am at
>> different places(different organizations)
>> *each place has a different network environment but I have internet
>> working each time (without any change to any Firefox settings)
>
> So maybe there is no proxy?
Yes there is no proxy (I was aware but not sure)
> If you go to http://www.whatsmyip.org/more/ do you see "Proxy: No
> Proxy or Invisible Proxy Used "? In addition is there an
> HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR which may indicate a proxy is in use.
I understand this header.
>> so if I want to use Transmission also simultaneousy (in a situation
>> where I am not aware of proxy or proxy does not exist but rest ports
>> are blocked)
>> then what should I be doing?
>>

> Firstly I'd make sure you're allowed to use bittorrent on the networks
> you're on. Most corporate and education networks (rightly or wrongly)
> block bittorrent where I am, proxy or not.

I am a junior member of a project where in my group is doing some
research on virtualization.
(Not in terms of technology i.e. developer perspective is not there)
My work is to create different virtual machine environments for them
using what ever they say and create different installations on those
virtual machines which can be varying in nature and would be used for
the groups experiments.
Basically the group then does some stuff and I am told to delete or
create a new VM or environment or install some server or something
something.So I have admin privielges for this server to the test
machines.How ever I before posting had checked http_proxy (if I had
defined and I did not found) so I was not sure as how was I given net
access.
Which by your messages is now confirmed that it is a direct link.

My recent work which is scheduled is to create a CentOS PV guest on a
Lucid 10.10 server using Xen4.0 how ever I find it difficult to
download the CD images (or use specially of CentOS) as I could not
find a single mirror where I could get the complete DVD as an ISO.

Here is the link to CentOS mirror from their site
http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/5/isos/i386/
where they say due to bandwidth restrictions
they do not give the DVD image (I need the full DVD)

So this is where I want to use Transmisison in this environment.
So let me know how can I over come this problem.

--

Thanks
Tapas

Old 01-20-2011, 10:15 AM
Alan Pope

On 20 January 2011 10:46, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is the link to CentOS mirror from their site
> http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/5/isos/i386/
> where they say due to bandwidth restrictions
> they do not give the DVD image (I need the full DVD)

I just followed that link and clicked a random mirror and found the DVD image.

http://mirror.as29550.net/mirror.centos.org/5.5/isos/i386/

Which is downloading fine here.

alan@wopr:~$ wget
http://mirror.as29550.net/mirror.centos.org/5.5/isos/i386/CentOS-5.5-i386-bin-DVD.iso
--2011-01-20 11:14:27--
http://mirror.as29550.net/mirror.centos.org/5.5/isos/i386/CentOS-5.5-i386-bin-DVD.iso
Resolving mirror.as29550.net... 94.76.220.210
Connecting to mirror.as29550.net|94.76.220.210|:80... connected.
Length: 4185118720 (3.9G) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: `CentOS-5.5-i386-bin-DVD.iso'

0% [ ] 4,223,780 368K/s eta 3h 6m

Al.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 4:45 PM, Alan Pope <popey@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 20 January 2011 10:46, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Here is the link to CentOS mirror from their site
>> http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/5/isos/i386/
>> where they say due to bandwidth restrictions
>> they do not give the DVD image (I need the full DVD)
>>

> I just followed that link and clicked a random mirror and found the DVD image.
>
> http://mirror.as29550.net/mirror.centos.org/5.5/isos/i386/
>
> Which is downloading fine here.
My mistake I need the 64 bit version on i386
http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/5/isos/x86_64/
see the above link.
I think I need some thing like a socks proxy if this is the solution
which you are saying.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Alan Pope

On 20 January 2011 11:22, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> My mistake I need the 64 bit version on i386
> http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/5/isos/x86_64/
> see the above link.
> I think I need some thing like a socks proxy if this is the solution
> which you are saying.

http://mirrors.ecvps.com/centos/5.5/isos/x86_64/

http://mirrors.ecvps.com/centos/5.5/isos/x86_64/CentOS-5.5-x86_64-bin-DVD-1of2.iso
http://mirrors.ecvps.com/centos/5.5/isos/x86_64/CentOS-5.5-x86_64-bin-DVD-2of2.iso

Al.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:11 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 3:22 AM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 4:45 PM, Alan Pope <popey@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>>
>> I just followed that link and clicked a random mirror and found the DVD image.
>>
>> http://mirror.as29550.net/mirror.centos.org/5.5/isos/i386/
>>
>> Which is downloading fine here.
> My mistake I need the 64 bit version on i386
> http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/5/isos/x86_64/
> see the above link.
> I think I need some thing like a socks proxy if this is the solution
> which you are saying.

You may have to fish around a bit to find a mirror with the full DVD
images - not all of them carry the direct downloads. Proxy not
required.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:52 PM
Tapas Mishra

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> I should not be asking this question as it is a straight forward thing
> but the situation where I use my machine.
> I am having internet connection in an environment whose proxies I do not know.
> In firefox
> Edit->Preferences->Network->Connection-->Settings --->Use system Proxy
> settings option is there.
> So I have not given any IP or port combination here and my Internet
> works very smoothly.
>
> Now here is a situation I wanted to download some Linux DVD's and I
> used Transmission
> since I have no proxy specified in Firefox so I thought it might
> work.Which did not happen.
> I checked
> Transmission-->Edit-->Preferences-->Proxy
>
> I have no clue as what value should I enter here.(Since the
> environment I mentioned has given me a direct Internet access.
> So if I want to use Transmission on port 80 (in above scenario)
> what should I be doing?
>
> Since Firefox uses System Proxy settings and in one day I am at
> different places(different organizations)
> *each place has a different network environment but I have internet
> working each time (without any change to any Firefox settings)
> so if I want to use Transmission also simultaneousy (in a situation
> where I am not aware of proxy or proxy does not exist but rest ports
> are blocked)
> then what should I be doing?

Updating an old thread
apart from using ssh as socks proxy which will pass on the traffic
encrypted over the tunnel
here are a couple of programs that can be used in this situation
http://proxychains.sourceforge.net/
http://tsocks.sourceforge.net/about.php
http://transocks.sourceforge.net/
should help some one in similar situation.