Old 01-20-2011, 03:04 AM
Basil Chupin

Default Firefox, Bookmarks and the drop-down menu when bookmarking

Am using latest FF (3.6.13) with Maverick - everything up-to-date with
latest upgrades done some hours ago.

One thing which has been bugging me for a while is that the drop-down
menu - the menu which allowed you to specify into which folder you
wanted the bookmarked page to go - has suddenly disappeared and now all
bookmarked pages are added to the end of list of bookmarks.

I cannot find anything actually covering this development on the Mozilla
site nor when googling.

Does anyone know why this bookmark hassle has come about and how to
resolve it?

BC

--
"To know that we know what we know, and that we do not know what we do not know, that is true knowledge."
Confucius

Old 01-20-2011, 07:43 AM
Colin Law

On 20 January 2011 04:04, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Am using latest FF (3.6.13) with Maverick - everything up-to-date with
> latest upgrades done some hours ago.
>
> One thing which has been bugging me for a while is that the drop-down menu -
> the menu which allowed you to specify into which folder you wanted the
> bookmarked page to go - has suddenly disappeared and now all bookmarked
> pages are added to the end of list of bookmarks.

I am using 3.6.13 on Maverick (up to date) and, if I understand you,
do not see this. When I click Bookmarks > Bookmark This Page I get a
dialog that allows me to enter the Name, Folder and Tags. You could
try when logged on as a different user to identify whether it is
something messed up in your FF profile.

Colin

Old 01-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Basil Chupin

Am using latest FF (3.6.13) with Maverick - everything up-to-date with
latest upgrades done some hours ago.

One thing which has been bugging me for a while is that the drop-down menu -
the menu which allowed you to specify into which folder you wanted the
bookmarked page to go - has suddenly disappeared and now all bookmarked
pages are added to the end of list of bookmarks.

I am using 3.6.13 on Maverick (up to date) and, if I understand you,
do not see this. When I click Bookmarks> Bookmark This Page I get a
dialog that allows me to enter the Name, Folder and Tags. You could
try when logged on as a different user to identify whether it is
something messed up in your FF profile.

Colin

Great! Thanks. It's in my profile. But where? :'(

Or do I start from scratch and then copy over the bookmarks (and
whatever) into the new profile?

BC

Old 01-20-2011, 09:54 AM
Colin Law

On 20 January 2011 10:39, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On 20/01/2011 19:43, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> On 20 January 2011 04:04, Basil Chupin<blchupin@iinet.net.au> *wrote:
>>>
>>> Am using latest FF (3.6.13) with Maverick - everything up-to-date with
>>> latest upgrades done some hours ago.
>>>
>>> One thing which has been bugging me for a while is that the drop-down
>>> menu -
>>> the menu which allowed you to specify into which folder you wanted the
>>> bookmarked page to go - has suddenly disappeared and now all bookmarked
>>> pages are added to the end of list of bookmarks.
>>
>> I am using 3.6.13 on Maverick (up to date) and, if I understand you,
>> do not see this. *When I click Bookmarks> *Bookmark This Page I get a
>> dialog that allows me to enter the Name, Folder and Tags. *You could
>> try when logged on as a different user to identify whether it is
>> something messed up in your FF profile.
>>
>> Colin
>
> Great! Thanks. It's in my profile. But where? :'(
>
> Or do I start from scratch and then copy over the bookmarks (and whatever)
> into the new profile?

Have a look at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_manager for how to
make a new profile and import stuff from the old one, though I have
not done it personally.

Colin

Old 01-21-2011, 12:44 AM
Basil Chupin

[...]

Thanks Colin, had a look but unfortunately nothing there which is of any
real use.

Instead of simply fiddling with one file or even a parameter looks like
transferring the Bookmarks to the newly created profile, taking a note
of the all the passwords now used on various sites, taking a note of the
Extensions and Plugins and installing them when FF is started under the
new profile :-( . No big deal of course, just annoying.

BC