-   -   bootchart application destroys suspend on laptop (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/478758-bootchart-application-destroys-suspend-laptop.html)

don fisher 01-20-2011 02:21 AM

bootchart application destroys suspend on laptop

The application bootchart runs for an extended time and makes
suspend/resume unusable. I assume this came as part of 10.10.

Is there any reason it is turned on by default?

Thanks

MR ZenWiz 01-20-2011 03:28 AM

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 7:21 PM, don fisher <hdf3@comcast.net> wrote:
> The application bootchart runs for an extended time and makes suspend/resume
> unusable. I assume this came as part of 10.10.
>
> Is there any reason it is turned on by default?

Since this does not happen on my10.10 laptop, perhaps you could be a
little more specific as to the nature of your problem.

Lucio M Nicolosi 01-20-2011 03:34 AM

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 1:21 AM, don fisher <hdf3@comcast.net> wrote:
> The application bootchart runs for an extended time and makes suspend/resume
> unusable. I assume this came as part of 10.10.
>
> Is there any reason it is turned on by default?

Bootchart is not default installed on 10.10. Perhaps you could uninstall it?

From Synaptic:

"bootchart allows you to audit the boot sequence of your computer and
generate a pretty chart of the processes run, including how long they
took and how much CPU and I/O they used."

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
GNU-Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/

don fisher 01-20-2011 03:36 PM

MR ZenWiz wrote:

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 7:21 PM, don fisher <hdf3@comcast.net> wrote:

The application bootchart runs for an extended time and makes suspend/resume
unusable. I assume this came as part of 10.10.

Is there any reason it is turned on by default?

Since this does not happen on my10.10 laptop, perhaps you could be a
little more specific as to the nature of your problem.

Sorry, it was a rough day. The bootchart application runs for a long
time on my machine. If I reopen the lid before bootchart completes, the
system appears to hang. bootchart was also in my 9.10 build, but did not
present the same delay.

Is there a list of what changes are made in the Ubuntu distributions.
The release notes do not present a complete description. For instance,
it appears that the new version of emacs changed the width of space bar
character to 1/2, so the TAB key no longer works correctly for me. I can
find no documentation.

Thanks for the feedback on your laptop. I will look into why bootchart
is taking so long to execute.

MR ZenWiz 01-20-2011 08:15 PM

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 8:36 AM, don fisher <hdf3@comcast.net> wrote:
> MR ZenWiz wrote:
>>
>> Since this does not happen on my10.10 *laptop, perhaps you could be a
>> little more specific as to the nature of your problem.
>>
> Sorry, it was a rough day. The bootchart application runs for a long time on
> my machine. If I reopen the lid before bootchart completes, the system
> appears to hang. bootchart was also in my 9.10 build, but did not present
> the same delay.

Ah - you're probably getting the bootchart "by default" since you had
it on the prior release. This would most likely be true if you
upgraded to 10.xx rather than reinstalled.

I would just turn it off unless you really, *really* need it.

> Is there a *list of what changes are made in the Ubuntu distributions. The
> release notes do not present a complete description. For instance, it
> appears that the new version of emacs changed the width of space bar
> character to 1/2, so the TAB key no longer works correctly for me. I can
> find no documentation.

Sorry, I worship vi.... :-)

> Thanks for the feedback on your laptop. I will look into why bootchart is
> taking so long to execute.

Good luck.

J 01-20-2011 08:24 PM

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:36, don fisher <hdf3@comcast.net> wrote:
> Sorry, it was a rough day. The bootchart application runs for a long time on
> my machine. If I reopen the lid before bootchart completes, the system
> appears to hang. bootchart was also in my 9.10 build, but did not present
> the same delay.
>
> Is there a *list of what changes are made in the Ubuntu distributions. The
> release notes do not present a complete description. For instance, it
> appears that the new version of emacs changed the width of space bar
> character to 1/2, so the TAB key no longer works correctly for me. I can
> find no documentation.
>
> Thanks for the feedback on your laptop. I will look into why bootchart is
> taking so long to execute.

Unless you have a need to track bootup times, why don't you just
remove bootchart? then no more problem. I have it on a couple of my
systems that's used for testing/development but the rest do not have
bootchart installed.

I'm curious to know, though, what you might have installed in the past
that installed bootchart (I don't recall it actually being part of the
default installation package set, though I could be mistaken there)...

Cheers
Jeff