Old 01-20-2011, 12:03 AM
Ric Moore

Default Second System results of 8.04 LTS to 10.04.1 LTS Upgrade **STATUS UPDATE**

On Wed, 2011-01-19 at 17:05 -0600, Jay Ridgley wrote:

> I have to admit that after several attempts to get this system upgraded to
> 10.04.1 LTS it is just not going to work.

I told ya so! <chuckles>

> So I have gotten a replacement for it that should enable me to operate for
> several years.
>
> I have also done some research and have discovered that I have a lot to learn
> about the Debian Package Manager...

Join the club. I am not only the President of Apt-Get Anonymous, I am a
member.

> I have used "dpkg --get-selections > installed-software-list" to get a list of
> installed packages that reside on my current system. I have also made a copy of
> the /etc directory and have a backup of /home.
>
> I also read that you can use the following to install the same packages on a new
> system:
>
> dpkg --set-selections < installed-software-list
>
> followed by
>
> deselect
>
> To install the packages listed.
>
> I have some remaining questions:
>
> 1. Where will dpkg get the packages to install? The new system is not running
> Ubuntu and is not on the net.
>
> 2. Should I copy/backup anything else?

I wouldn't restore the old home dot-files config in your new home
directory. A lot has changed since 8.04 and you can expect some
breakages when you attempt to re-use them. Just stick with what the
fresh install gives you and modify them later using 10.4 tools. You are
not the first person to do this and experience the hiccups. Some folks
report making it relatively unscathed, but I would posit that they have
a very plain-jane install or a very static server style setup with few
frilly bits. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 01-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 11:40 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
> On 20 January 2011 11:11, Jay Ridgley <jridgley2@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> >> Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 08:36:17 +0000 From: Colin Law
> >> <clanlaw@googlemail.com>
> >
> > To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
> > <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> > Subject: Re: Second System results of 8.04 LTS to 10.04.1 LTS Upgrade
> > **STATUS UPDATE**

> >> *Not* running Ubuntu??
> >
> > Correct. It is a refurbished system that I purchased and had Windows
> > installed. I will be using a distribution CD. No internet connection will
> > available to me.
>
> I see, you mean it is not *currently* running Ubuntu, I thought you
> meant you did not want to run Ubuntu.
>
> If you google for
> ubuntu how to install applications no network
> you will find a number of ways of installing stuff when you have no
> network connection.

I always order a DVD from OnDisk for a couple of bucks, as I am paranoid
enough not to trust getting 10 gig worth of data without one bleep or
bloop over the wire in the process. Their DVD even has all of the KDE
stuff, should you wish to install it along side gnome. I've been happy
with it. Ric

Linux user# 44256