Old 01-19-2011, 10:05 PM
Jay Ridgley

Default Second System results of 8.04 LTS to 10.04.1 LTS Upgrade **STATUS UPDATE**

Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 08:43:58 +0000
From: Colin Law<clanlaw@googlemail.com>
To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
<ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Re: Second System results of 8.04 LTS to 10.04.1 LTS Upgrade
**MORE PROBLEMS**

On 16 January 2011 23:55, Jay Ridgley<jridgley2@austin.rr.com> wrote:

Folks,

While my first system worked very well doing the upgrade from 8.04 LTS to
10.04.1 LTS. I have hit another snag and for the life of me I can't seem to
get around it.

The Upgrade attempts to download the packages and reports there is not
enough space available and quits. It says to run "apt-get clean" to free up
space. I did that and nothing happens. I have also gone though the installed
packages and purged those that I know I do not need for the system in
question. However that still did not yield enough space. Currently df shows
the following information:

/dev/sda1 3944620 1K blocks on the device 2848000 blocks used which leaves
897820 Available. The Update Manager wants some 1900MB more space!

If I try to uninstall open-office (all of it, since I don't need it).
Synaptic says that the ubuntu desktop and several other packages will be
removed as well. Can I ignore those or will it cause serious problems?

I don't think it is as serious as it sounds and it should be ok to
uninstall OO. Don't take me as authoritative on this however. Can
someone more knowledgeable confirm this?

The only other space on the physical drive is allocated to swap (it may be a
bit large but I doubt that it is that big. Top reports swap to be 240932k
total and currently shows 91840k free.

Swap should only actually be used rarely. Are you short of RAM also?

/home contains only 49420 blocks (as reported by du -s)

How can I obtain the required amount of space?
--

How big is your disk? you really need a minimum of about 8Gig altogether.
If overall disk space is the issue you may be able to get away with a

Colin

Folks,

I have to admit that after several attempts to get this system upgraded to
10.04.1 LTS it is just not going to work.

So I have gotten a replacement for it that should enable me to operate for
several years.

I have also done some research and have discovered that I have a lot to learn
about the Debian Package Manager...

I have used "dpkg --get-selections > installed-software-list" to get a list of
installed packages that reside on my current system. I have also made a copy of
the /etc directory and have a backup of /home.

I also read that you can use the following to install the same packages on a new
system:

dpkg --set-selections < installed-software-list

followed by

deselect

To install the packages listed.

I have some remaining questions:

1. Where will dpkg get the packages to install? The new system is not running
Ubuntu and is not on the net.

2. Should I copy/backup anything else?

3. Will a custom install from an distribution CD (got it burned and it works) be
able to use the list from above?

Thanks,
Jay

--

Jay Ridgley
jridgley2@austin.rr.com

Old 01-19-2011, 11:33 PM
Jonathan Dlouhy

[...]

Jay, I admire your persistence. Your system must be way more complicated
than mine as I can do a fresh install and restore my files from backup
in a couple of hours, max. Is there something preventing you from doing
this? Or perhaps you're like me in that you don't like to be defeated by
something, in which case I totally understand.

Jonathan