Old 01-19-2011, 07:45 PM
don fisher

Default Mozilla CPU usage

I just upgraded from 9.10 to 10.10. The 2.0.0.24 version of Thunderbird
never appeared up when I ran "top -S". Version 3 CPU usage is always
above 39% and sometimes up to 65%. As far as I know, Thunderbird isn't
doing anything except checking for new messages every 5 minutes.

Does anybody else see this? I have a laptop an that is quite a hit on
the battery.

Don

Old 01-19-2011, 10:26 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 12:45 PM, don fisher <hdf3@comcast.net> wrote:
> I just upgraded from 9.10 to 10.10. The 2.0.0.24 version of Thunderbird
> never appeared up when I ran "top -S". Version 3 CPU usage is always above
> 39% and sometimes up to 65%. As far as I know, Thunderbird isn't doing
> anything except checking for new messages every 5 minutes.
>
> Does anybody else see this? I have a laptop an that is quite a hit on the
> battery.

I don't use TB very often, but I see this a lot with Chrome, Firefox
and Seamonkey. LO (and OOo) also tend to chew up the CPU evrey so
often, but the worst offender I've seen is VirtualBox - it frequently
eats 1-2 CPUs when doing things on top of running on the CPUs that are
"inside" the VM.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:42 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

On 20/01/11 00:26, MR ZenWiz wrote:

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 12:45 PM, don fisher<hdf3@comcast.net> wrote:

I just upgraded from 9.10 to 10.10. The 2.0.0.24 version of Thunderbird
never appeared up when I ran "top -S". Version 3 CPU usage is always above
39% and sometimes up to 65%. As far as I know, Thunderbird isn't doing
anything except checking for new messages every 5 minutes.

Does anybody else see this? I have a laptop an that is quite a hit on the
battery.

I don't use TB very often, but I see this a lot with Chrome, Firefox
and Seamonkey. LO (and OOo) also tend to chew up the CPU evrey so
often, but the worst offender I've seen is VirtualBox - it frequently
eats 1-2 CPUs when doing things on top of running on the CPUs that are
"inside" the VM.

That's the reason I switched to VMware PLayer. Much less use of
resources: I run a rather heavy Windows application (with lots of
graphic and sound) and it use less than 50 % CPU (4-core AMD Phenom II 4
GB mem). Moreover Ubuntu (or better; Linux) does quite a good job of
load balancing (try that on the latest Windows!!).

Joep

Old 01-19-2011, 10:51 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Joep L. Blom <jlblom@neuroweave.nl> wrote:
:

> That's the reason I switched to VMware PLayer. Much less use of resources: I
> run a rather heavy Windows application (with lots of graphic and sound) and
> it use less than 50 % CPU (4-core AMD Phenom II 4 GB mem). Moreover Ubuntu
> (or better; Linux) does quite a good job of load balancing (try that on the
> latest Windows!!).

I couldn't get VMWare Player to work on Maverick, nor VMWare Server.
That's why I threw in the towel and went with VB.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:57 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

On 20/01/11 00:51, MR ZenWiz wrote:

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Joep L. Blom<jlblom@neuroweave.nl> wrote:
:

That's the reason I switched to VMware PLayer. Much less use of resources: I
run a rather heavy Windows application (with lots of graphic and sound) and
it use less than 50 % CPU (4-core AMD Phenom II 4 GB mem). Moreover Ubuntu
(or better; Linux) does quite a good job of load balancing (try that on the
latest Windows!!).

I couldn't get VMWare Player to work on Maverick, nor VMWare Server.
That's why I threw in the towel and went with VB.

One of the reasons to stay with 10.04 for me.
Joep

Old 01-20-2011, 12:59 AM
NoOp

On 01/19/2011 03:51 PM, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Joep L. Blom <jlblom@neuroweave.nl> wrote:
> :
>>
>> That's the reason I switched to VMware PLayer. Much less use of resources: I
>> run a rather heavy Windows application (with lots of graphic and sound) and
>> it use less than 50 % CPU (4-core AMD Phenom II 4 GB mem). Moreover Ubuntu
>> (or better; Linux) does quite a good job of load balancing (try that on the
>> latest Windows!!).
>
> I couldn't get VMWare Player to work on Maverick, nor VMWare Server.
> That's why I threw in the towel and went with VB.

VMWare player works just fine for me on Lucid and Maverick. I've not
gotten it to work (yet) on Natty Alpha1 (Daily build as of 1/18/11)[1] -
whereas VirtualBox (4.0.2) appears to be working (I've yet to load any
VM in it at this point. Start a new thread & perhaps we can help you
install; you can then decide which works best for you.

[1] it's being worked on:
http://communities.vmware.com/thread/293321?start=45&tstart=0

Old 01-20-2011, 08:03 AM
"Joep L. Blom"

On 20/01/11 02:59, NoOp wrote:

[...]

Gary,
Glad to hear from you again but it wasn't me but MR ZenWiz who had the
problem with Vbox and who didn't succeed in running VMware. I use it
rather extensively and have no problems.
I have given up on Vbox as they update every few months and sound is
still very bad (truthfully, I haven't checked the last 5 months).
Related to that however, I try without success to contribute to the
vmware mailing list but until now I only get once a month a subscription
notice. I mail to:

vmware-users@seas.harvard.edu but I never got any mails.
Do you have a better mailing list?
Joep

Old 01-20-2011, 04:00 PM
NoOp

On 01/20/2011 01:03 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> On 20/01/11 02:59, NoOp wrote:
>> On 01/19/2011 03:51 PM, MR ZenWiz wrote:
>>> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Joep L. Blom<jlblom@neuroweave.nl> wrote:
>>> :

>>> I couldn't get VMWare Player to work on Maverick, nor VMWare Server.
>>> That's why I threw in the towel and went with VB.
>>>

>> VMWare player works just fine for me on Lucid and Maverick. I've not
>> gotten it to work (yet) on Natty Alpha1 (Daily build as of 1/18/11)[1] -
>> whereas VirtualBox (4.0.2) appears to be working (I've yet to load any
>> VM in it at this point. Start a new thread& perhaps we can help you
>> install; you can then decide which works best for you.
>>
>> [1] it's being worked on:
>> http://communities.vmware.com/thread/293321?start=45&tstart=0
>>

> Gary,
> Glad to hear from you again but it wasn't me but MR ZenWiz who had the
> problem with Vbox and who didn't succeed in running VMware. I use it
> rather extensively and have no problems.

That's who I replied to... I just kept your quote in, see the
attributions :-) I've left in place so you can see -- I'll trim the next.

> I have given up on Vbox as they update every few months and sound is
> still very bad (truthfully, I haven't checked the last 5 months).
> Related to that however, I try without success to contribute to the
> vmware mailing list but until now I only get once a month a subscription
> notice. I mail to:
> vmware-users@seas.harvard.edu but I never got any mails.
> Do you have a better mailing list?

Nope. They seem to like forums
(http://communities.vmware.com/index.jspa) as opposed to mailing lists.
Only thing I could find on gmane is
gmane.comp.emulators.vmware.tools.user. Also:
but all except the security annouce are pretty much dead.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:39 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

On 20/01/11 18:00, NoOp wrote:

vmware-users@seas.harvard.edu but I never got any mails.
Do you have a better mailing list?

Nope. They seem to like forums
(http://communities.vmware.com/index.jspa) as opposed to mailing lists.
Only thing I could find on gmane is
gmane.comp.emulators.vmware.tools.user. Also:
but all except the security annouce are pretty much dead.

Gary,
Thanks for the information. Yes, I thought so. I have had some response
on the IRC-channel but that is such a cumbersome road that I prefer to
abstain from that.

Joep

Old 01-21-2011, 12:01 AM
NoOp

On 01/19/2011 01:45 PM, don fisher wrote:
> I just upgraded from 9.10 to 10.10. The 2.0.0.24 version of Thunderbird
> never appeared up when I ran "top -S". Version 3 CPU usage is always
> above 39% and sometimes up to 65%. As far as I know, Thunderbird isn't
> doing anything except checking for new messages every 5 minutes.
>
> Does anybody else see this? I have a laptop an that is quite a hit on
> the battery.

Don,

I'm not getting the same.

$ top -S | grep thunderbird
15337 gg 20 0 662m 106m 29m S 0 3.6 0:04.90
thunderbird-bin
15337 gg 20 0 662m 106m 29m S 1 3.6 0:04.94
thunderbird-bin
15337 gg 20 0 662m 106m 29m S 1 3.6 0:04.96
thunderbird-bin
15337 gg 20 0 662m 106m 29m S 6 3.6 0:05.14
thunderbird-bin
15337 gg 20 0 662m 102m 29m R 23 3.5 0:05.83
thunderbird-bin
15337 gg 20 0 662m 102m 29m S 3 3.5 0:05.93
thunderbird-bin
15337 gg 20 0 662m 101m 29m S 2 3.5 0:05.98 thunderbird-bin

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101208
Lightning/1.0b2 Thunderbird/3.1.7

The 23% was when I selected 'Get Mail'. Perhaps you have an add-on that
is causing the problem. You might go through and disable all of them,
then re-enable one at a time to see if that is the issue.

Gary