-   -   Anyone else seeing xscreensaver broken? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/478552-anyone-else-seeing-xscreensaver-broken.html)

MR ZenWiz 01-19-2011 04:36 PM

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 9:34 AM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just applied the latest updates, which required a reboot, and now
> xscreensaver gets errors on every image.
>
> Anyone else seeing this?
>
> X error in glslideshow
> X Error of failed request: BadWIndow (invalid Window parameter)
> Major opcode of failed request: 138 (NV-GLX)
> Minor opcode of failed request: 4 ()
> Resoure ID in failed request: 0x22004a6
> Serial number of failed request: 124
> Current serial number in output stream: 124
> one more line I didn't write down - just gives the child pid of
> glslideshow and error -1
>
> My Synaptic history doesn't show this update, and the update manager
> doesn't have a history option that I can see.

Follow-up: all the GL settings in xscreensaver are failing - no
preview available.

Wade Smart 01-19-2011 04:38 PM

On 01/19/2011 11:36 AM, MR ZenWiz wrote:

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 9:34 AM, MR ZenWiz<mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:

I just applied the latest updates, which required a reboot, and now
xscreensaver gets errors on every image.

Anyone else seeing this?

X error in glslideshow
X Error of failed request: BadWIndow (invalid Window parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 138 (NV-GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 4 ()
Resoure ID in failed request: 0x22004a6
Serial number of failed request: 124
one more line I didn't write down - just gives the child pid of
glslideshow and error -1

My Synaptic history doesn't show this update, and the update manager
doesn't have a history option that I can see.

Follow-up: all the GL settings in xscreensaver are failing - no
preview available.

Yup. I just noticed this morning that its not come on all night.
Im not sure why all of the sudden - one of yesterdays updates - but I
dont like it as my screen is no longer locked when I walk away and dont
come right back.

Wade

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

"Cybe R. Wizard" 01-19-2011 05:19 PM

Anyone else seeing xscreensaver broken?

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 09:34:18 -0800
MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just applied the latest updates, which required a reboot, and now
> xscreensaver gets errors on every image.

Was there a kernel update that required a reboot? What kernel? I ask
because I just updated my Maverick and everything looks good.
Xscreensaver's GLSlideshow works as expected. It /is/ xscreensaver
you're running and not gnome-screensaver, right?

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

"K. Frank" 01-19-2011 05:27 PM

Anyone else seeing xscreensaver broken?

Hello Wade and Zen!

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/19/2011 11:36 AM, MR ZenWiz wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 9:34 AM, MR ZenWiz<mrzenwiz@gmail.com> *wrote:
>>>
>>> I just applied the latest updates, which required a reboot, and now
>>> xscreensaver gets errors on every image.
>>>
>>> Anyone else seeing this?

I have _not_ applied the latest updates, and my gl
screensavers _do_ seem to be working.

(I am running 10.10.)

>>> X error in glslideshow
>>> X Error of failed request: BadWIndow (invalid Window parameter)
>>> Major opcode of failed request: 138 (NV-GLX)
>>> Minor opcode of failed request: 4 ()
>>> Resoure ID in failed request: 0x22004a6
>>> Serial number of failed request: 124
>>> Current serial number in output stream: 124
>>> one more line I didn't write down - just gives the child pid of
>>> glslideshow and error -1
>>>
>>> My Synaptic history doesn't show this update, and the update manager
>>> doesn't have a history option that I can see.
>>>

>> Follow-up: all the GL settings in xscreensaver are failing - no
>> preview available.

When I go to System / Preferences / Screensaver, I
get a list of screensaver choices, including various gl
screensavers, and the gl screensaver previews seem
to work correctly.

If there are any experiments or diagnostics you
would like me to try, I would be happy to. I don't
really care about l screensavers, so that would
include applying the updates to see if anything
breaks.

Best.

K. Frank

MR ZenWiz 01-19-2011 05:30 PM

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 10:27 AM, K. Frank <kfrank29.b@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I go to System / Preferences / Screensaver, I
> get a list of screensaver choices, including various gl
> screensavers, and the gl screensaver previews seem
> to work correctly.
>
> If there are any experiments or diagnostics you
> would like me to try, I would be happy to. *I don't
> really care about l screensavers, so that would
> include applying the updates to see if anything
> breaks.

If you would apply the updates, I'd be interested to know if yours
still works or break afterwards.

Thanks.

"K. Frank" 01-19-2011 05:34 PM

Anyone else seeing xscreensaver broken?

Hi Zen!

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 1:30 PM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 10:27 AM, K. Frank <kfrank29.b@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> When I go to System / Preferences / Screensaver, I
>> get a list of screensaver choices, including various gl
>> screensavers, and the gl screensaver previews seem
>> to work correctly.
>>
>> If there are any experiments or diagnostics you
>> would like me to try, I would be happy to. *I don't
>> really care about l screensavers, so that would
>> include applying the updates to see if anything
>> breaks.
>>
> If you would apply the updates, I'd be interested to know if yours
> still works or break afterwards.

Should I try to log anything so we can tell what
updates have been installed, or just go ahead
and click "Install Updates" in Update Manager?

> Thanks.

Best.

K Frank

MR ZenWiz 01-19-2011 05:47 PM

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 10:34 AM, K. Frank <kfrank29.b@gmail.com> wrote:

> Should I try to log anything so we can tell what
> updates have been installed, or just go ahead
> and click "Install Updates" in Update Manager?

I took screenshots of the update manager's list of updates on the
Dell, so if you do that, maybe we can compare.

The list was too long for one screen height, so my shots are at
http://zentektales.com/updates1.png and updates2.png

"K. Frank" 01-19-2011 07:32 PM

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 1:47 PM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 10:34 AM, K. Frank <kfrank29.b@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Should I try to log anything so we can tell what
>> updates have been installed, or just go ahead
>> and click "Install Updates" in Update Manager?
>>
> I took screenshots of the update manager's list of updates on the
> Dell, so if you do that, maybe we can compare.

Okay, did that -- installed updates, rebooted.

As far as I can tell my gl screensavers are working.

Just to be sure that we're talking about the same thing,
I can run, for example, the screensaver called GLCells
from the Screensavers Preferences app.

> The list was too long for one screen height, so my shots are at
> http://zentektales.com/updates1.png and updates2.png

Yes, my list was too long, too.

Happy Screensaving!

K. Frank

MR ZenWiz 01-20-2011 03:33 AM

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 12:32 PM, K. Frank <kfrank29.b@gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay, did that -- installed updates, rebooted.
>
> As far as I can tell my gl screensavers are working.

It's maddening. I went through the entire list of choices for
xscreensaver's actual screen saver and none of the GL* ones work,
along with about 60-70% of the others. The ones that do work best are
the simple graphics ones, although things like the ripples work, and
they have no trouble accessing my Pictures directory, either.

Weird. No problem on the Dell. Same graphics driver, but I only have
one screen on the AMD.