Old 01-17-2011, 09:52 PM
Jim Byrnes

Default Firefox4 Beta plugins (again)

On Sunday the 16th Goh Lip was kind enough to give me some instructions
on how to get plugins recognized in the Firefox4 beta. I did what he
suggested but they still don't appear in aboutlugins. I think the
problem was I didn't install it where he assumed I did and I then got
the symlink wrong.

I am using Maverick amd64 and I downloaded the tar file from the mozilla
site and extracted it to my home directory. So it is at
/home/jfb/firefox. The Canonical version is in it's default location.

Could someone post the command to create the symlink needed given this info?

Thanks, Jim

Old 01-17-2011, 10:22 PM
Jonathan Dlouhy

On Sunday the 16th Goh Lip was kind enough to give me some
instructions on how to get plugins recognized in the Firefox4 beta. I
did what he suggested but they still don't appear in aboutlugins. I
think the problem was I didn't install it where he assumed I did and I
then got the symlink wrong.

I am using Maverick amd64 and I downloaded the tar file from the
mozilla site and extracted it to my home directory. So it is at
/home/jfb/firefox. The Canonical version is in it's default location.

Could someone post the command to create the symlink needed given this
info?

Thanks, Jim

Jim here's a link that should make this easier. AFAIK, it will install
Firefox 4 alongside Firefox 3.

http://www.techdrivein.com/2010/10/get-feel-of-firefox-4-in-ubuntu-1010.html

--
Jonathan Dlouhy

Old 01-18-2011, 02:35 AM
Jim Byrnes

Jonathan Dlouhy wrote:

[...]

-----------------------
"Will the highways of the Internet become more few?"- George W. Bush

Jonathan,

That works but, it installs Mindfield 4.0bpre10. Also since it is put
out by Canonical I will not be able to update it using the updates
pushed out by mozilla. That's the reason I started looking into it.

Thanks, Jim

Old 01-18-2011, 03:46 AM
Jonathan Dlouhy

[...]

OK Jim, sorry it didn't work for you. I don't know what the differences
between Canonical's releases and Mozilla's are, but that version is at
least the most recent version available. Best of luck.

Jon

Old 01-18-2011, 03:53 AM
"Goh Lip"

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 06:52:22 +0800, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net>
On Sunday the 16th Goh Lip was kind enough to give me some instructions
on how to get plugins recognized in the Firefox4 beta. I did what he
suggested but they still don't appear in aboutlugins. I think the
problem was I didn't install it where he assumed I did and I then got
the symlink wrong.

I am using Maverick amd64 and I downloaded the tar file from the mozilla
site and extracted it to my home directory. So it is at
/home/jfb/firefox. The Canonical version is in it's default location.

Could someone post the command to create the symlink needed given this
info?

Jim, it was recently asked on this mailing list about the command for
s-link, and the usual command would be "ln -s <source> <target>"; However,
I think the problem might be spelt out in this
http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/237727-how-create-symbolic-link-mounted-volume.html
(But I am not so sure and others please help to refine if necessary) Just
make sure you're root or use sudo for this command.

Oh, I hope you also have the flash pluggin in that directory, ie.,
nppdf.so That may be what you need instead of just java. Hope I am not
double guessing you.

Good luck, Jim. - Goh Lip

--
I used to have an open mind,
but my brains kept falling out.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:20 AM
"Goh Lip"

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 12:46:12 +0800, Jonathan Dlouhy <dlouhy55@gmail.com>
OK Jim, sorry it didn't work for you. I don't know what the differences
between Canonical's releases and Mozilla's are, but that version is at
least the most recent version available. Best of luck.

Just checking, it's now beta9, 4.0b9. Hope Jim has that too.

Regards - Goh Lip

Old 01-18-2011, 02:11 PM
Jim Byrnes

Goh Lip wrote:

[...]

Goh Lip,
I read through that article and I must say it is far more technical than
I can fully understand. It seems he was trying to create a symlink to a
file system on another computer. That's not what I am trying to do. I
just need to have the Firefox4 beta, which I installed in my home
directory, find its plugins.

Oh, I hope you also have the flash pluggin in that directory, ie.,
nppdf.so That may be what you need instead of just java. Hope I am not
double guessing you.

Right now it says no plugins are found. I would be happy to get the
more common ones working and then worry about flash and java.

Good luck, Jim. - Goh Lip

Thanks, Jim

Old 01-19-2011, 02:30 AM
NoOp

On 01/17/2011 03:52 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> On Sunday the 16th Goh Lip was kind enough to give me some instructions
> on how to get plugins recognized in the Firefox4 beta. I did what he
> suggested but they still don't appear in aboutlugins. I think the
> problem was I didn't install it where he assumed I did and I then got
> the symlink wrong.
>
> I am using Maverick amd64 and I downloaded the tar file from the mozilla
> site and extracted it to my home directory. So it is at
> /home/jfb/firefox. The Canonical version is in it's default location.
>
> Could someone post the command to create the symlink needed given this info?

No symlink is required or should be used:

1. Download the 64 bit version from here:
<http://nightly.mozilla.org/>
<http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/firefox-4.0b10pre.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2>

2. Delete whatever you have in /home/jfb/firefox, or create a new
folder: /home/jfb/Firefox4 and copy the
firefox-4.0b10pre.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2 there. Go to the folder,
right-click the bz2 and select 'extract here'. Go to
/home/jfb/Firefox4/firefox and double-click on 'firefox' and then run.
If you already have other versions of FF installed they will be used
from your standard ~/.mozilla folder.

Mine:

<Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:2.0b10pre)
Gecko/20110118 Firefox/4.0b10pre>

Enabled plugins
Veetle TV Core

File: /home/../.mozilla/plugins/npwrapper.libveetle-core-plugin.so
Version:
Version 0.9.17 Veetle TV Core, Copyright 2006-2007 Veetle Inc.
http://www.veetle.com

MIME Type Description Suffixes
Picasa

File: /opt/google/picasa/3.0/lib/npPicasa3.so
Version:
Picasa plugin

MIME Type Description Suffixes
DivX Browser Plug-In

File: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/gecko-mediaplayer-dvx.so
Version:
Gecko Media Player 0.9.9.2

Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media
Player streams using MPlayer

MIME Type Description Suffixes
QuickTime Plug-in 7.6.4

File: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/gecko-mediaplayer-qt.so
Version:
Gecko Media Player 0.9.9.2

Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media
Player streams using MPlayer

MIME Type Description Suffixes
application/x-quicktimeplayer Quicktime mov
RealPlayer 9

File: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/gecko-mediaplayer-rm.so
Version:
Gecko Media Player 0.9.9.2

Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media
Player streams using MPlayer

MIME Type Description Suffixes
Windows Media Player Plug-in

File: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/gecko-mediaplayer-wmp.so
Version:
Gecko Media Player 0.9.9.2

Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media
Player streams using MPlayer

MIME Type Description Suffixes
File: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/gecko-mediaplayer.so
Version:
Gecko Media Player 0.9.9.2

Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media
Player streams using MPlayer

MIME Type Description Suffixes
VLC Multimedia Plugin (compatible Totem 2.32.0)

File: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libtotem-cone-plugin.so
Version:
The Totem 2.32.0 plugin handles video and audio streams.

MIME Type Description Suffixes
Windows Media Player Plug-in 10 (compatible; Totem)

File: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libtotem-gmp-plugin.so
Version:
The Totem 2.32.0 plugin handles video and audio streams.

MIME Type Description Suffixes
DivX Web Player

File: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libtotem-mully-plugin.so
Version:
DivX Web Player version 1.4.0.233

MIME Type Description Suffixes
video/divx AVI video divx
QuickTime Plug-in 7.6.6

File: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libtotem-narrowspace-plugin.so
Version:
The Totem 2.32.0 plugin handles video and audio streams.

MIME Type Description Suffixes
video/x-m4v MPEG-4 video m4v
iTunes Application Detector

File: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/librhythmbox-itms-detection-plugin.so
Version:
This plug-in detects the presence of iTunes when opening iTunes
Store URLs in a web page with Firefox.

MIME Type Description Suffixes
application/itunes-plugin
IcedTea NPR Web Browser Plugin (using IcedTea6 1.9.2 (6b20-1.9.2-0ubuntu2))

File: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/amd64/IcedTeaPlugin.so
Version:
The IcedTea NPR Web Browser Plugin (using IcedTea6 1.9.2
(6b20-1.9.2-0ubuntu2)) executes Java applets.

MIME Type Description Suffixes
a...
Shockwave Flash

File: /var/lib/flashplugin-installer/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
Version:
Shockwave Flash 10.1 r102

MIME Type Description Suffixes
Adobe Reader 9.4

File: /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/plugins/npwrapper.nppdf.so
Version:
The Adobe Reader plugin is used to enable viewing of PDF and FDF
files from within the browser.

MIME Type Description Suffixes
VLC Multimedia Plug-in

File: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libvlcplugin.so
Version:
Version 1.1.4 The Luggage, copyright 1996-2007 The VideoLAN Team
http://www.videolan.org/

MIME Type Description Suffixes

Old 01-19-2011, 03:46 AM
Basil Chupin

On Sunday the 16th Goh Lip was kind enough to give me some instructions
on how to get plugins recognized in the Firefox4 beta. I did what he
suggested but they still don't appear in aboutlugins. I think the
problem was I didn't install it where he assumed I did and I then got
the symlink wrong.

I am using Maverick amd64 and I downloaded the tar file from the mozilla
site and extracted it to my home directory. So it is at
/home/jfb/firefox. The Canonical version is in it's default location.

Could someone post the command to create the symlink needed given this info?

No symlink is required or should be used:

"He walks! He talks! He's back!" :-)

Good to see you back here.

(Now I've got somebody to tell me off again! :-D .)

BC

--
"To know that we know what we know, and that we do not know what we do not know, that is true knowledge."
Confucius

Old 01-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2011-01-19 at 15:46 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 19/01/2011 14:30, NoOp wrote:
> > On 01/17/2011 03:52 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> >> On Sunday the 16th Goh Lip was kind enough to give me some instructions
> >> on how to get plugins recognized in the Firefox4 beta. I did what he
> >> suggested but they still don't appear in aboutlugins. I think the
> >> problem was I didn't install it where he assumed I did and I then got
> >> the symlink wrong.
> >>
> >> I am using Maverick amd64 and I downloaded the tar file from the mozilla
> >> site and extracted it to my home directory. So it is at
> >> /home/jfb/firefox. The Canonical version is in it's default location.
> >>
> >> Could someone post the command to create the symlink needed given this info?
> > No symlink is required or should be used:
>

> "He walks! He talks! He's back!" :-)
>
> Good to see you back here.
>
> (Now I've got somebody to tell me off again! :-D .)

<sniffs> I thought I was good for that. Ric

Linux user# 44256