Old 01-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Ray Parrish

Default Where did the volume control go?

Hello,

I have just upgraded from 8.04 to 10.04, and now
for some mad reason the volume control icon no
longer appears on my top tool bar where it has
always been before.

I was not able to add it with the Add Item to
Panel dialog, as it was not shown in the list of
possible additions.

Could someone please tell me where the volume
control went, and how to get to it now, as I need
it desperately for controlling the settings when I
am making recordings of myself playing guitar, and
it would just be nice to be able to adjust the
volume of the sound when listening to things as well.

Thanks for any help you can be with this problem.

Later, Ray Parrish

--
The Unknown Lead Player, Ray Parrish
http://www.reverbnation.com/christopherrayparrish#

Old 01-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Steve Flynn

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> wrote:

> I have just upgraded from 8.04 to 10.04, and now for some mad reason the
> volume control icon no longer appears on my top tool bar where it has always
> been before.
>
> I was not able to add it with the Add Item to Panel dialog, as it was not
> shown in the list of possible additions.

It's there - it just has a monumentally bad name.

> Could someone please tell me where the volume control went, and how to get
> to it now, as I need it desperately for controlling the settings when I am
> making recordings of myself playing guitar, and it would just be nice to be
> able to adjust the volume of the sound when listening to things as well.

Add the Indicator Applet, if memory serves me correctly.

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Old 01-17-2011, 03:48 PM
Ray Parrish

I have just upgraded from 8.04 to 10.04, and now for some mad reason the
volume control icon no longer appears on my top tool bar where it has always
been before.

I was not able to add it with the Add Item to Panel dialog, as it was not
shown in the list of possible additions.

It's there - it just has a monumentally bad name.

Could someone please tell me where the volume control went, and how to get
to it now, as I need it desperately for controlling the settings when I am
making recordings of myself playing guitar, and it would just be nice to be
able to adjust the volume of the sound when listening to things as well.

Add the Indicator Applet, if memory serves me correctly.

Thank you, that brought that ability back, but
there is no longer the ability to right click it,
and access the mixer controls, but I know where
the Alsa mixer is in my menu, so I can add it to
the tool bar as well, as soon as my problems with
too wide of a screen are solved so there is room
again.

Later, Ray Parrish

Old 01-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Kent Borg

Steve Flynn wrote:

I have just upgraded from 8.04 to 10.04, and now for some mad reason the
volume control icon no longer appears on my top tool bar where it has always
been before.

[...]

It's there - it just has a monumentally bad name.
[...]

Add the Indicator Applet,

Wow! What a completely stunningly terrible name.

I was wondering where the volume control went. Thanks for telling us the
name under which they hid it.

-kb

Old 01-17-2011, 04:39 PM
R Kimber

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 16:17:51 +0000
Steve Flynn wrote:

> Add the Indicator Applet, if memory serves me correctly.

Yes. Though it has been 'improved', or 'Windows-ised', by adding some
chat/messenger stuff as well. I can't see why they aren't separate applets.

The old ways were the best ... ;-)

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

Old 01-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 04:17:51PM +0000, Steve Flynn wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> wrote:

..........snip..........

> > Could someone please tell me where the volume control went, and how to get
> > to it now, as I need it desperately for controlling the settings when I am
> > making recordings of myself playing guitar, and it would just be nice to be
> > able to adjust the volume of the sound when listening to things as well.
>
> Add the Indicator Applet, if memory serves me correctly.

What earthly reason could there be for including the Evolution mail
applet with this? For that matter, what earthly reason could there be
for integrating Evolution so tightly to the OS that it can't be removed
without losing Gnome? Do the godlike devs think that Gramma and Grampa
Windows User will always want evolution? It reminds me of windows and
IE. Come on squeeze!

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

Old 01-17-2011, 08:28 PM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 08:48 -0800, Ray Parrish wrote:
> On 01/17/2011 08:17 AM, Steve Flynn wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Ray Parrish<crp@cmc.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I have just upgraded from 8.04 to 10.04, and now for some mad reason the
> >> volume control icon no longer appears on my top tool bar where it has always
> >> been before.
> >>
> >> I was not able to add it with the Add Item to Panel dialog, as it was not
> >> shown in the list of possible additions.
> > It's there - it just has a monumentally bad name.
> >
> >> Could someone please tell me where the volume control went, and how to get
> >> to it now, as I need it desperately for controlling the settings when I am
> >> making recordings of myself playing guitar, and it would just be nice to be
> >> able to adjust the volume of the sound when listening to things as well.
> > Add the Indicator Applet, if memory serves me correctly.
> >

> Thank you, that brought that ability back, but
> there is no longer the ability to right click it,
> and access the mixer controls, but I know where
> the Alsa mixer is in my menu, so I can add it to
> the tool bar as well, as soon as my problems with
> too wide of a screen are solved so there is room
> again.

Well, things got changed between 8.04 and 10.4, especially regarding
audio. Another reason to not make such a huge jump all at once. Open a
terminal and type "pavucontrol" and use that now. I love pulse when it's
up and working. Some have had problems with it, but it's usually when
alsamixer has stuff muted. So, try pavucontrol first. It should work. If
not, open alsamixer in a terminal and see what is turned off that keeps
pulse from doing it's thing. It's a whole new day in 10.4, but "old and
busted" might not work in "new and shiny". Expect more hiccups and a
learning curve in the new. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 01-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 13:15 -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 04:17:51PM +0000, Steve Flynn wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> wrote:
>
> ..........snip..........
>

> > > Could someone please tell me where the volume control went, and how to get
> > > to it now, as I need it desperately for controlling the settings when I am
> > > making recordings of myself playing guitar, and it would just be nice to be
> > > able to adjust the volume of the sound when listening to things as well.
> >
> > Add the Indicator Applet, if memory serves me correctly.
>
> What earthly reason could there be for including the Evolution mail
> applet with this? For that matter, what earthly reason could there be
> for integrating Evolution so tightly to the OS that it can't be removed
> without losing Gnome? Do the godlike devs think that Gramma and Grampa
> Windows User will always want evolution? It reminds me of windows and
> IE. Come on squeeze!

I agree, but I do love me some Evolution. Google calendar works a dream
with it. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 01-18-2011, 03:20 AM
Robert Holtzman

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 04:30:46PM -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 13:15 -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:

........snip......

> > What earthly reason could there be for including the Evolution mail
> > applet with this? For that matter, what earthly reason could there be
> > for integrating Evolution so tightly to the OS that it can't be removed
> > without losing Gnome? Do the godlike devs think that Gramma and Grampa
> > Windows User will always want evolution? It reminds me of windows and
> > IE. Come on squeeze!
>
> I agree, but I do love me some Evolution. Google calendar works a dream
> with it. Ric

Have you looked at Sunbird? It's not in the 10.04 repos but I had luck
pulling it from the 9.10 repo.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279