Old 01-17-2011, 03:03 PM
Ray Parrish

Default Scroll wheel problem after upgrading to 10.04

Hello,

I have just upgraded from 8.04 to 10.04, and now I
have a few problems.

This second problem is that with Rotate Cube in
compiz set to rotate the desktop cube right and
left with the scroll wheel, the rotation happens
whether or not I am over an open application window.

It used to only rotate if I had the mouse pointer
over a visible portion of the desktop, and would
not rotate when over an application window.

This new behavior defeats my ability to use the
scroll wheel within applications to scroll windows
and pages up and down, as it rotates the desktop
to the next face now instead of giving the
application control of the scroll wheel.

Does anyone know what to change in Compiz to get
the old behavior back so I can use my scroll wheel
properly in my browser, etc...???

Thanks for any help you can be.

Ray Parrish

--
The Unknown Lead Player, Ray Parrish
http://www.reverbnation.com/christopherrayparrish#

Old 01-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Karl Auer

On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 08:03 -0800, Ray Parrish wrote:
> This second problem is that with Rotate Cube in
> compiz set to rotate the desktop cube right and
> left with the scroll wheel, the rotation happens
> whether or not I am over an open application window.
>
> It used to only rotate if I had the mouse pointer
> over a visible portion of the desktop, and would
> not rotate when over an application window.

I never noticed that change, but I've always used a key modifier. It's a
cheap way to remove any confusion. I don't know how to get the old
behaviour back, but here is how to add a key modifier to the rotation
control. You probably know this, but maybe others don't, so here's the
full drill :-)

Use System->Preferences->CompizConfig Settings manager, select "Desktop"
then "Rotate Cube" and open the "Bindings" tab. On that tab is a panel
called "Rotate Cube" (you may have to click the little triangle beside
the words to open the panel). Mouse rotate left and mouse rotate right
are probably set to button4 and button5 (scroll up and scroll down). The
settings are displayed on a button - click on the button and add a key
modifier. I use shift, myself.

That should leave the "plain" scroll wheel available to applications.

Regards, K.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:00 PM
Ray Parrish

[...]

Thanks for the reply, but I already knew that.

The problem is in the way I use my computer. It's
set up near the end of my couch, and my keyboard
is usually on the coffe table about three feet
away from me.

I can go an hour or two without ever needing the
keyboard, so I never have it within easy reach, as
I mouse around applications which I use for making
recording of myself on the guitar.

So, using a key modifier is not really a good
option for me, as it would require that I have the
keyboard on my lap all of the time, where my
guitar usually is as I work.

I wish they hadn't made this change, as it is very
frustrating to always have to move the mouse to a
scroll bar, instead of just moving it to the
proper part of the screen, and hitting the scroll
wheel, which is pretty much ingrained into me at
this point, after my long use of 8.04.

Later, Ray Parrish

Old 01-23-2011, 07:06 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, but I already knew that.
>
> The problem is in the way I use my computer. It's set up near the end of my
> couch, and my keyboard is usually on the coffe table about three feet away
> from me.

Unconventional setups sometimes require unconventional solutions....