FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Ray Parrish
 
Default Too wide of a screen

Hello,

I have just completed upgrading from 8.04 to 10.04
and now I have a few problems.


This first problem is that with my resolution set
to 1024x768 as I normally have it, the screen is
too wide and runs off the left side. My
applications menu on the top tool bar is almost
completely out of sight as it runs off the screen
on the left side.


For some mad reason as well, the tool bar on the
right side of my screen will not pop out when I
move my mouse to it. I can see it's edge sticking
out there, but it refuses to pop out when I move
the mouse pointer to it.


I have an Nvidia video card, and did note that
during the upgrade I was informed that
nvidia-glx-new could not be installed. Since
booting up I have gone to hardware drivers, and
enabled the recommended version of nvidia driver.


I have also gone into appearance, and enabled
hardware acceleration as well.


Thanks for any help you can be with these problems.

Ray Parrish

--
The Unknown Lead Player, Ray Parrish
http://www.reverbnation.com/christopherrayparrish#
Linux dpkg Software Report script set..
http://www.rayslinks.com/LinuxdpkgSoftwareReport.html
Ray's Links, a variety of links to usefull things, and articles by Ray.
http://www.rayslinks.com
Writings of "The" Schizophrenic, what it's like to be a schizo, and other
things, including my poetry.
http://www.writingsoftheschizophrenic.com



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-17-2011, 08:19 PM
MR ZenWiz
 
Default Too wide of a screen

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 7:57 AM, Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have just completed upgrading from 8.04 to 10.04 and now I have a few
> problems.
>
> This first problem is that with my resolution set to 1024x768 as I normally
> have it, the screen is too wide and runs off the left side. My applications
> menu on the top tool bar is almost completely out of sight as it runs off
> the screen on the left side.
>
Tell us more about your screen - a lot more.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-17-2011, 08:21 PM
Ric Moore
 
Default Too wide of a screen

On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 07:57 -0800, Ray Parrish wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have just completed upgrading from 8.04 to 10.04
> and now I have a few problems.
>
> This first problem is that with my resolution set
> to 1024x768 as I normally have it, the screen is
> too wide and runs off the left side. My
> applications menu on the top tool bar is almost
> completely out of sight as it runs off the screen
> on the left side.
>
> For some mad reason as well, the tool bar on the
> right side of my screen will not pop out when I
> move my mouse to it. I can see it's edge sticking
> out there, but it refuses to pop out when I move
> the mouse pointer to it.
>
> I have an Nvidia video card, and did note that
> during the upgrade I was informed that
> nvidia-glx-new could not be installed. Since
> booting up I have gone to hardware drivers, and
> enabled the recommended version of nvidia driver.
>
> I have also gone into appearance, and enabled
> hardware acceleration as well.
>

Fire up the nVidia X-server setup thingie, go through the hoops and
allow it to save a new /etc/xorg.conf file. That's on the second tab.
Back up the old one first though. That should auto-configure your video
setup for you. Ric

--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-18-2011, 08:34 PM
Ray Parrish
 
Default Too wide of a screen

On 01/17/2011 01:21 PM, Ric Moore wrote:

On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 07:57 -0800, Ray Parrish wrote:

Hello,

I have just completed upgrading from 8.04 to 10.04
and now I have a few problems.

This first problem is that with my resolution set
to 1024x768 as I normally have it, the screen is
too wide and runs off the left side. My
applications menu on the top tool bar is almost
completely out of sight as it runs off the screen
on the left side.

For some mad reason as well, the tool bar on the
right side of my screen will not pop out when I
move my mouse to it. I can see it's edge sticking
out there, but it refuses to pop out when I move
the mouse pointer to it.

I have an Nvidia video card, and did note that
during the upgrade I was informed that
nvidia-glx-new could not be installed. Since
booting up I have gone to hardware drivers, and
enabled the recommended version of nvidia driver.

I have also gone into appearance, and enabled
hardware acceleration as well.


Fire up the nVidia X-server setup thingie, go through the hoops and
allow it to save a new /etc/xorg.conf file. That's on the second tab.
Back up the old one first though. That should auto-configure your video
setup for you. Rick
OK, I tried that, and there was no change. I'm
wondering if nvidia's driver thinks that I am
running a different sized monitor than the 15 inch
TFT LCD Jetway I have?


The nvidia settings dialog reports my screen size
as being 313 x 232 millimeters, which I have no
way of measuring to verify as I have no metric
rules to use.


It also reports a resolution of 83 x 84 dots per
inch, which I am not sure of either.


Is there any way to change the size reported above
to see if the screen shrinks down to the correct size?


I know from previous experience that this monitor
does not correctly report it's data. I used some
of the tools I found in Ubuntu to query the
monitor's information, and it always told me that
the monitor was not returning the information.


Later, Ray Parrish

--
The Unknown Lead Player, Ray Parrish
http://www.reverbnation.com/christopherrayparrish#
Linux dpkg Software Report script set..
http://www.rayslinks.com/LinuxdpkgSoftwareReport.html
Ray's Links, a variety of links to usefull things, and articles by Ray.
http://www.rayslinks.com
Writings of "The" Schizophrenic, what it's like to be a schizo, and other
things, including my poetry.
http://www.writingsoftheschizophrenic.com



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Doug
 
Default Too wide of a screen

On 01/18/2011 04:34 PM, Ray Parrish wrote:

On 01/17/2011 01:21 PM, Ric Moore wrote:

On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 07:57 -0800, Ray Parrish wrote:

Hello,

I have just completed upgrading from 8.04 to 10.04
and now I have a few problems.

This first problem is that with my resolution set
to 1024x768 as I normally have it, the screen is
too wide and runs off the left side. My
applications menu on the top tool bar is almost
completely out of sight as it runs off the screen
on the left side.



/snip/
OK, I tried that, and there was no change. I'm wondering if nvidia's
driver thinks that I am running a different sized monitor than the 15
inch TFT LCD Jetway I have?


The nvidia settings dialog reports my screen size as being 313 x 232
millimeters, which I have no way of measuring to verify as I have no
metric rules to use.


It also reports a resolution of 83 x 84 dots per inch, which I am not
sure of either.


Is there any way to change the size reported above to see if the
screen shrinks down to the correct size?


I know from previous experience that this monitor does not correctly
report it's data. I used some of the tools I found in Ubuntu to query
the monitor's information, and it always told me that the monitor was
not returning the information.


Later, Ray Parrish

To convert from millimeters to inches, divide by 25.4. Doing this says
the screen is just over 15" diagonal, which is what you say you have.
The conversion also shows that the resolution is ~ 1020 x 760, which is
realistic for a small screen in 4 x 3 proportion, which is what the
screen proportion calculates to--the older (better) screen proportion.
It sounds like you have a driver problem--maybe the wrong one, or maybe
you are sending it the wrong information. If there are any manual setup
abilities, now is the time to utilize them.


--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A. M. Greeley


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-18-2011, 11:28 PM
Ray Parrish
 
Default Too wide of a screen

On 01/18/2011 02:00 PM, Doug wrote:

On 01/18/2011 04:34 PM, Ray Parrish wrote:

On 01/17/2011 01:21 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 07:57 -0800, Ray Parrish
wrote:

Hello,

I have just completed upgrading from 8.04 to
10.04

and now I have a few problems.

This first problem is that with my resolution
set

to 1024x768 as I normally have it, the screen is
too wide and runs off the left side. My
applications menu on the top tool bar is almost
completely out of sight as it runs off the
screen

on the left side.



/snip/
OK, I tried that, and there was no change. I'm
wondering if nvidia's driver thinks that I am
running a different sized monitor than the 15
inch TFT LCD Jetway I have?


The nvidia settings dialog reports my screen
size as being 313 x 232 millimeters, which I
have no way of measuring to verify as I have no
metric rules to use.


It also reports a resolution of 83 x 84 dots
per inch, which I am not sure of either.


Is there any way to change the size reported
above to see if the screen shrinks down to the
correct size?


I know from previous experience that this
monitor does not correctly report it's data. I
used some of the tools I found in Ubuntu to
query the monitor's information, and it always
told me that the monitor was not returning the
information.


Later, Ray Parrish

To convert from millimeters to inches, divide by
25.4. Doing this says the screen is just over
15" diagonal, which is what you say you have.
The conversion also shows that the resolution is
~ 1020 x 760, which is realistic for a small
screen in 4 x 3 proportion, which is what the
screen proportion calculates to--the older
(better) screen proportion. It sounds like you
have a driver problem--maybe the wrong one, or
maybe you are sending it the wrong information.
If there are any manual setup abilities, now is
the time to utilize them.


--doug

Thank you for providing the conversion factor for
mm to inches, and doing the calculations you did.


I know how to edit the xorg.conf file, but to my
eye it looks pretty much the way it did in the
older version of Ubuntu, and I can not spot any
errors in the settings that are in it so far.


The modelines have some numbers that I do not
understand, here is an example -


ModeLine "1024x768@60" 65.0 1024 1048
1184 1344 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync


I'm not sure why that line lists so many numbers
in addition to the 1024, and the 768. Are all of
them alternate heights, and widths for the screen?


I see nothing in the current xorg.conf file which
could alter the pixel count to make the screen go
too wide, or anything that would make the pixel
size be calculated incorrectly, so I am at a loss
to explain why the visual area of the desktop is
wider than the display area of my monitor.


Later, Ray Parrish

--
The Unknown Lead Player, Ray Parrish
http://www.reverbnation.com/christopherrayparrish#
Linux dpkg Software Report script set..
http://www.rayslinks.com/LinuxdpkgSoftwareReport.html
Ray's Links, a variety of links to usefull things, and articles by Ray.
http://www.rayslinks.com
Writings of "The" Schizophrenic, what it's like to be a schizo, and other
things, including my poetry.
http://www.writingsoftheschizophrenic.com



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-18-2011, 11:50 PM
Ric Moore
 
Default Too wide of a screen

On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 17:00 -0500, Doug wrote:
> On 01/18/2011 04:34 PM, Ray Parrish wrote:
> > On 01/17/2011 01:21 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> >> On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 07:57 -0800, Ray Parrish wrote:
> >>> Hello,
> >>>
> >>> I have just completed upgrading from 8.04 to 10.04
> >>> and now I have a few problems.
> >>>
> >>> This first problem is that with my resolution set
> >>> to 1024x768 as I normally have it, the screen is
> >>> too wide and runs off the left side. My
> >>> applications menu on the top tool bar is almost
> >>> completely out of sight as it runs off the screen
> >>> on the left side.
> >>
> /snip/
> > OK, I tried that, and there was no change. I'm wondering if nvidia's
> > driver thinks that I am running a different sized monitor than the 15
> > inch TFT LCD Jetway I have?
> >
> > The nvidia settings dialog reports my screen size as being 313 x 232
> > millimeters, which I have no way of measuring to verify as I have no
> > metric rules to use.
> >
> > It also reports a resolution of 83 x 84 dots per inch, which I am not
> > sure of either.
> >
> > Is there any way to change the size reported above to see if the
> > screen shrinks down to the correct size?
> >
> > I know from previous experience that this monitor does not correctly
> > report it's data. I used some of the tools I found in Ubuntu to query
> > the monitor's information, and it always told me that the monitor was
> > not returning the information.
> >
> > Later, Ray Parrish
> >
> To convert from millimeters to inches, divide by 25.4. Doing this says
> the screen is just over 15" diagonal, which is what you say you have.
> The conversion also shows that the resolution is ~ 1020 x 760, which is
> realistic for a small screen in 4 x 3 proportion, which is what the
> screen proportion calculates to--the older (better) screen proportion.
> It sounds like you have a driver problem--maybe the wrong one, or maybe
> you are sending it the wrong information. If there are any manual setup
> abilities, now is the time to utilize them.

I agree, so it might be time to trouble shoot with a shotgun. Fire up
the nVidia thing again and the second tab (X Server Display
Configuration) will allow different settings from a drop down chose-em
list. But first, SAVE your current /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to something
you'll remember, grab your monitor manual and then play with different
settings.

Just don't go overboard and blow something up. Heh, in the old days I
did just that, took the flyback out using too high a frequency setting.
I cried and cried back when a 15" multisync was a more than a week's
pay. Like the "Ryhme of the Ancient Mariner", I had to hang it around my
neck and fall back to my older 14" POS for quite awhile. Good Luck.
Remember to write out the new experimental config file and logout to log
back in, between settings. I'd keep one finger on the power switch. If
it starts singing, quick hit the switch!

Ric


--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:28 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org