-   -   Hostapd + bridge with ifupdown (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/477620-hostapd-bridge-ifupdown.html)

"Michal Zatloukal" 01-17-2011 01:45 PM

Hostapd + bridge with ifupdown

Hi there.

I'm migrating my debian {router|AP|home_server|etc} to ubuntu-server and
have run into this problem - what exactly am I supposed to put in
/etc/network/interfaces to have the system work as a typical access-point
- the wired network is unprotected, while the WiFi is protected with
WPA2-configured hostapd, and the two interfaces are bridged into br0? I
had this working on debian with the following interfaces file:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
hostapd /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
auto br0
iface br0 inet static
bridge_ports eth0 wlan0
bridge_maxwait 0
bridge_stp off
address 192.168.1.1
network 192.168.1.0
netmask 255.255.255.0

With natty, this does not set up the network on boot-up as expected. I
looked into the manual page for bridge-utils-interfaces to find this bit:

[bridge-ports option] are the interfaces that are part of the bridge,
and they shouldn't have any stanzas defining them on the interfaces file.

So how exactly am I supposed instruct ifupdown to use a particular hostapd
configuration for the wireless interface? I tried moving the line to the
br0 stanza and commenting out the wlan0 and eth0 stanzas but it didn't
help - on boot-up either hostapd is not running or wlan0 is not added to
the bridge, resulting in a non-working wifi (STA authenticates, but gets
no IPaddress.

It seems someone else encountered this problem and got no answer:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/229711

Regards
Michal

MR ZenWiz 01-17-2011 08:16 PM

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 6:45 AM, Michal Zatloukal <myxal.mxl@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I'm migrating my debian {router|AP|home_server|etc} to ubuntu-server and
> have run into this problem - what exactly am I supposed to put in
> /etc/network/interfaces to have the system work as a typical access-point
> - the wired network is unprotected, while the WiFi is protected with
> WPA2-configured hostapd, and the two interfaces are bridged into br0?

Have you considered saving your /etc/network/interfaces file and
letting the system set one up for you (and see if that works)?

> With natty, this does not set up the network on boot-up as expected.

Natty is in alpha test, so you're liable to run into oddball things -
have you tried Maverick?

"Michal Zatloukal" 02-17-2011 06:52 AM

Hostapd + bridge with ifupdown

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 6:45 AM, Michal Zatloukal <myxal.mxl at
I'm migrating my debian {router|AP|home_server|etc} to ubuntu-server and
have run into this problem - what exactly am I supposed to put in
/etc/network/interfaces to have the system work as a typical
access-point

- the wired network is unprotected, while the WiFi is protected with
WPA2-configured hostapd, and the two interfaces are bridged into br0?

Have you considered saving your /etc/network/interfaces file and
letting the system set one up for you (and see if that works)?

Not sure what you mean - my problem is figuring out what to put into the
file/whether what I have now is correct as I couldn't find any examples in
the documentation. I believe editing the interfaces file is the supported
way of configuring the network, unless I missed something (CLI
networkmanager?)

With natty, this does not set up the network on boot-up as expected.

Natty is in alpha test, so you're liable to run into oddball things -
have you tried Maverick?

No. I moved from debian specifically to natty to get a newer kernel which
contains a driver I need. Googling around, it seems to be a common issue
introduced in maverick which can be worked around:

Either the documentation is wrong or the use case is not addressed and not
supported, or there's a bug that needs fixing (possibly reporting).