Old 01-17-2011, 10:08 AM
Basil Chupin

Default I'm worried - where is NoOp?

As the Subject states, what's happened to NoOp?

Haven't seen a post from him for weeks.

Is he OK and simply on holidays?

Anyone know?

BC

--
"To know that we know what we know, and that we do not know what we do not know, that is true knowledge."
Confucius

Old 01-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Bas Roufs

Hello Basil and Everybody

2011/1/17 Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au>

> As the Subject states, what's happened to NoOp?

This is a good question! I checked it out- the latest message from
NoOp (Gary Lee) is his season greeting to the list, from Christmas
eve, 24 December 2010. I hope he is on holidays - however it is good
to keep a watchful eye on him!
Respectfully yours,
Bas Roufs, Utrecht, Netherlands.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Bas Roufs

Hello Basil and Everybody

>> As the Subject states, what's happened to NoOp?

A few minutes ago, I found messages from him at some other Linux
forums from 5 January 2011 - so, a watchful eye is enough, sorrow or
panic is not or not yet necessary.

Respectfully yours,

Bas.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:08 PM
"A. Jorge Garcia"

NoOp has been very helpful to me in the past. I'm wondering why we
should be concerned about him. Is there a problem?

Thanx,
A. Jorge Garcia
Applied Math and CompSci
http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com
http://www.youtube.com/calcpage2009

Old 01-17-2011, 12:46 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 22:08:38 +1100
Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> As the Subject states, what's happened to NoOp?
>
> Haven't seen a post from him for weeks.
>
> Is he OK and simply on holidays?
>
> Anyone know?
>
> BC

His last post here on Dec. 23, 2010 included this:
------
Note to the folks that feel that I've yet to 'reach adulthood'
(Jousting? Really?) I'm happy to report that I have not. Wish all of you
the best and have a great time on this list as I'm signing off. Good
night, good luck with the list, and Happy Holidays.
------

To me that looks like a final goodbye. I sent him a personal email
asking about that and got back a very non-committal 'happy new
year' response. I fear he is gone from here. I hope I'm wrong.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
'Brainwash' is a term that comes down to us from the Communist
movement of the Late Dark Ages...

Old 01-17-2011, 05:45 PM
sdavmor

On 01/17/2011 05:46 AM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 22:08:38 +1100 Basil
Chupin<blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:

As the Subject states, what's happened to NoOp?

Haven't seen a post from him for weeks.

Is he OK and simply on holidays?

Anyone know?

BC

His last post here on Dec. 23, 2010 included this: ------ Note to
the folks that feel that I've yet to 'reach adulthood' (Jousting?
Really?) I'm happy to report that I have not. Wish all of you the
best and have a great time on this list as I'm signing off. Good
night, good luck with the list, and Happy Holidays. ------

To me that looks like a final goodbye. I sent him a personal
email asking about that and got back a very non-committal 'happy
new year' response. I fear he is gone from here. I hope I'm
wrong.

Cybe R. Wizard

That's a big loss to this list. NoOp has been one of the best and most
sensible (least prone to fits, flaming, sulking, etc) posters here.
http://mikedickson.org.uk

Old 01-17-2011, 06:24 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 4:45 PM, sdavmor <sdavmor@systemstheory.net> wrote:

> That's a big loss to this list. NoOp has been one of the best and most
> sensible (least prone to fits, flaming, sulking, etc) posters here.
> --

NoOp is (seemingly) alive and well, and keeps posting his clever
messages in other realms, albeit less often, perhaps less obsessed
with this never ending task of keeping people correctly informed, of
guiding both newbies and not so through an easier path. I guess he's a
bit fed up with this list and all of us and decided to take deserved
hollidays. Since he still uses Ubuntu and every other stuff we
eventually discuss (and flame and fight over and disagree) on this
list, I believe he'll eventually drop by. Nevertheless, even a month
without NoOp advice is a big loss. Lets hope he's just sailing.

Fair winds and following seas, sailor.

Lucio

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
GNU-Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/

Old 01-17-2011, 06:47 PM
sdavmor

wrote:

That's a big loss to this list. NoOp has been one of the best and
most sensible (least prone to fits, flaming, sulking, etc)
posters here.

NoOp is (seemingly) alive and well, and keeps posting his clever
messages in other realms, albeit less often, perhaps less obsessed
with this never ending task of keeping people correctly informed,
of guiding both newbies and not so through an easier path. I guess
he's a bit fed up with this list and all of us and decided to take
deserved hollidays. Since he still uses Ubuntu and every other
stuff we eventually discuss (and flame and fight over and disagree)
on this list, I believe he'll eventually drop by. Nevertheless,
even a month without NoOp advice is a big loss. Lets hope he's just
sailing.

Fair winds and following seas, sailor.

Lucio

You said it. One day, hopefully, he'll be back.
http://mikedickson.org.uk

Old 01-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 14:04, Bas Roufs <basroufs@gmail.com> wrote:
> A few minutes ago, I found messages from him at some other Linux
> forums from 5 January 2011 - so, a watchful eye is enough, sorrow or
> panic is not or not yet necessary.

Just three days ago he posted to the Libreoffice list. So, he is at
least alive. I feel like such a stalker for revealing that info! But
seriously, NoOp certainly was/is a backbone of this list and other
lists to which he posts. The environments in which he participates are
surely enriched with his presence, and having him leave is a setback.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 01-18-2011, 05:28 AM
Basil Chupin

On 18/01/2011 00:46, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

[...]

Ah...I missed that posting of his and thanks for quoting it - it
explains why he hasn't been posting here.

And other messages from others here state that, thankfully, he hasn't
been run over by a bus or something and is posting elsewhere :-) .

All the very best to him.

BC