Old 01-17-2011, 06:49 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

Default would latest OS be compatible with older Hardware?

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 13:01:57 +0530
Parshwa Murdia <ubuntu.bkn@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi,
>
> First thing is that I am not from the IT field but need a Linux
> distro. Secondly, I am not having the cutting edge technology or
> cutting edge hardware, I am having only one PC with 2 GB of Ram and a
> hard-disk, connected with a key board and a non-USB mouse and a
> printer connected via Windows.
>
> Now, what I want to ask is that if I can install the cutting edge OS
> in this Hardware which is not cutting edge? Would it be support or
> does it actually depending upon the hardware to whether accept the
> same or not.

Had you given even a hint as to just what your system contained we
might be able to help. If you are running a 286 the odds are that you
won't get anything to run on it. OTOH, if you have 1 to 5 year old kit
the chances increase a lot. How about a run down of the actual hardware
you have?

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 01-17-2011, 07:05 AM
Nils Kassube

Parshwa Murdia wrote:
> First thing is that I am not from the IT field but need a Linux
> distro. Secondly, I am not having the cutting edge technology or
> cutting edge hardware, I am having only one PC with 2 GB of Ram and a
> hard-disk, connected with a key board and a non-USB mouse and a
> printer connected via Windows.

A machine with 2GB RAM should work. However I would test it anyway using
the Ubuntu LiveCD which you can download from
<http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu>. While the system is running
from CD it is rather slow but you could at least check if the rest of
your hardware is supported.

Nils

Old 01-17-2011, 07:12 AM
Robert Spanjaard

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 01:49:00 -0600, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

>> First thing is that I am not from the IT field but need a Linux distro.
>> Secondly, I am not having the cutting edge technology or cutting edge
>> hardware, I am having only one PC with 2 GB of Ram and a hard-disk,
>> connected with a key board and a non-USB mouse and a printer connected
>> via Windows.
>>
>> Now, what I want to ask is that if I can install the cutting edge OS in
>> this Hardware which is not cutting edge? Would it be support or does it
>> actually depending upon the hardware to whether accept the same or not.
>
> Had you given even a hint as to just what your system contained we might
> be able to help. If you are running a 286 the odds are that you won't
> get anything to run on it.

And what are the odds on encountering a 286 with 2 GB RAM?

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Old 01-17-2011, 07:47 AM
Parshwa Murdia

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 8:49 AM, Cybe R. Wizard
<cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:

> if you have 1 to 5 year old kit
> the chances increase a lot. *How about a run down of the actual hardware
> you have?

The PC is two year old and the processor is Core duo. Further i
searched the site at ubuntu.com but did not find the torrent link for
Ubuntu 10.04 Long term Support (for stability), could I get the
torrent link for LTS 10.04.
Parshwa Murdia

Old 01-17-2011, 08:06 AM
Nils Kassube

Parshwa Murdia wrote:
> The PC is two year old and the processor is Core duo. Further i
> searched the site at ubuntu.com but did not find the torrent link for
> Ubuntu 10.04 Long term Support (for stability), could I get the
> torrent link for LTS 10.04.

You can find it at <http://releases.ubuntu.com/10.04.1/>.

Nils