Old 01-16-2011, 10:55 PM
Jay Ridgley

Default Second System results of 8.04 LTS to 10.04.1 LTS Upgrade **MORE PROBLEMS**

Folks,

While my first system worked very well doing the upgrade from 8.04 LTS to
10.04.1 LTS. I have hit another snag and for the life of me I can't seem to get
around it.

The Upgrade attempts to download the packages and reports there is not enough
space available and quits. It says to run "apt-get clean" to free up space. I
did that and nothing happens. I have also gone though the installed packages and
purged those that I know I do not need for the system in question. However that
still did not yield enough space. Currently df shows the following information:

/dev/sda1 3944620 1K blocks on the device 2848000 blocks used which leaves
897820 Available. The Update Manager wants some 1900MB more space!

If I try to uninstall open-office (all of it, since I don't need it). Synaptic
says that the ubuntu desktop and several other packages will be removed as well.
Can I ignore those or will it cause serious problems?

The only other space on the physical drive is allocated to swap (it may be a bit
large but I doubt that it is that big. Top reports swap to be 240932k total and
currently shows 91840k free.

/home contains only 49420 blocks (as reported by du -s)

How can I obtain the required amount of space?
--

Jay Ridgley
jridgley2@austin.rr.com

Old 01-16-2011, 11:44 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 9:55 PM, Jay Ridgley <jridgley2@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> While my first system worked very well doing the upgrade from 8.04 LTS to
> 10.04.1 LTS. I have hit another snag and for the life of me I can't seem to
> get around it.
>
> The Upgrade attempts to download the packages and reports there is not
> enough space available and quits. It says to run "apt-get clean" to free up
> space. I did that and nothing happens. I have also gone though the installed
> packages and purged those that I know I do not need for the system in
> question. However that still did not yield enough space. Currently df shows
> the following information:
>
> /dev/sda1 3944620 1K blocks on the device 2848000 blocks used which leaves
> 897820 Available. The Update Manager wants some 1900MB more space!
>
> If I try to uninstall open-office (all of it, since I don't need it).
> Synaptic says that the ubuntu desktop and several other packages will be
> removed as well. Can I ignore those or will it cause serious problems?
>
> The only other space on the physical drive is allocated to swap (it may be a
> bit large but I doubt that it is that big. Top reports swap to be 240932k
> total and currently shows 91840k free.
>
> /home contains only 49420 blocks (as reported by du -s)
>
> How can I obtain the required amount of space?

You could download GParted Live CD

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

And then, booting from the CD, resize your partitions leaving a
reasonable amount of space on /dev/sda1, etc..

My /sys partition alone takes 6 GB of space on a very stardard
install, and my /home is elseware. I believe you should need at least
10GB for the whole system.

An alternative would be to install Xubuntu or another leaner system.

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
GNU-Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/

Old 01-17-2011, 12:34 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 10:44 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com> wrote:

> My /sys partition alone takes 6 GB of space on a very stardard
> install, and my /home is elseware.

Sorry for the typo, please understand "/ (root)" instead of "/sys" in
the phrase above, and of course "standard" and not "stardard"

Old 01-17-2011, 07:43 AM
Colin Law

On 16 January 2011 23:55, Jay Ridgley <jridgley2@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> While my first system worked very well doing the upgrade from 8.04 LTS to
> 10.04.1 LTS. I have hit another snag and for the life of me I can't seem to
> get around it.
>
> The Upgrade attempts to download the packages and reports there is not
> enough space available and quits. It says to run "apt-get clean" to free up
> space. I did that and nothing happens. I have also gone though the installed
> packages and purged those that I know I do not need for the system in
> question. However that still did not yield enough space. Currently df shows
> the following information:
>
> /dev/sda1 3944620 1K blocks on the device 2848000 blocks used which leaves
> 897820 Available. The Update Manager wants some 1900MB more space!
>
> If I try to uninstall open-office (all of it, since I don't need it).
> Synaptic says that the ubuntu desktop and several other packages will be
> removed as well. Can I ignore those or will it cause serious problems?

I don't think it is as serious as it sounds and it should be ok to
uninstall OO. Don't take me as authoritative on this however. Can
someone more knowledgeable confirm this?

> The only other space on the physical drive is allocated to swap (it may be a
> bit large but I doubt that it is that big. Top reports swap to be 240932k
> total and currently shows 91840k free.

Swap should only actually be used rarely. Are you short of RAM also?

> /home contains only 49420 blocks (as reported by du -s)
>
> How can I obtain the required amount of space?
> --

How big is your disk? you really need a minimum of about 8Gig altogether.
If overall disk space is the issue you may be able to get away with a
re-install rather than an upgrade, but it sounds as if you may be
pushing the machine to the limit. Perhaps it is time for a hardware
upgrade.

Colin

Old 01-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Pete

[...]

Hi,

I have just installed lucid (10.04) on what will be my programming and
test box on a old 10gb hdd (clean install not upgrade)! by the time all
packages were installed I was using 8.75gb according to properties in
nautilus! whilst I would recommend having a larger drive for general use
I never cease to be amazed that buntu will fit on such a small drive
when win7 takes up approx twice as much room for a basic install!! And
does a whole lot less!!

Regarding your issue the suggestion of gparted livecd would seem to be
the way forward available from: > http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

from there you will be able to resize your relevant partitions (back up
all important data first as this can go wrong!!)

hope this helps

Pete