Old 02-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Karl Larsen

Default X starting but then quitting on Nvidia

There has been a long learning curve on the Nvidia video device(s)
in Linux and it appears the best Linux drivers provided to us are not
well tested. In my case I find if there is a splash added to the kernel
list Nvidia will not start reliably.

Of late I have had to boot using the emergency kernel which has no
splash in the kernel line. That always works. But the normal boot up
fails more and more often.

So I deleted the splash in the main kernel and now it works fine too.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Chris

Karl Larsen wrote:
> There has been a long learning curve on the Nvidia video device(s)
> in Linux and it appears the best Linux drivers provided to us are not
> well tested. In my case I find if there is a splash added to the kernel
> list Nvidia will not start reliably.
>
> Of late I have had to boot using the emergency kernel which has no
> splash in the kernel line. That always works. But the normal boot up
> fails more and more often.
>
> So I deleted the splash in the main kernel and now it works fine too.
>
> Karl

Karl -

Not sure if it matters or not however, I myself us an Nvidia card on my
Fedora 8 box. I did not install the N-Drivers for it. I use the 8400 GS.

Don't know it it makes a difference or not - This 8400 just worked when
I popped it in an already-installed Fedora box.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Chris

Karl Larsen wrote:
> There has been a long learning curve on the Nvidia video device(s)
> in Linux and it appears the best Linux drivers provided to us are not
> well tested. In my case I find if there is a splash added to the kernel
> list Nvidia will not start reliably.
>
> Of late I have had to boot using the emergency kernel which has no
> splash in the kernel line. That always works. But the normal boot up
> fails more and more often.
>
> So I deleted the splash in the main kernel and now it works fine too.
>
> Karl

I guess what I'm saying is ... From what I can gather, unless you are a
gamer, do you really need the Linux Nvidia drivers?

I don't game, so the drivers that Linux used on default seem to work
just dandy.

Just my .02 worth.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:41 PM
"Richard"

> There has been a long learning curve on the Nvidia video device(s)
> in Linux and it appears the best Linux drivers provided to us are not
> well tested. In my case I find if there is a splash added to the
kernel
> list Nvidia will not start reliably.
>
> Of late I have had to boot using the emergency kernel which has no
> splash in the kernel line. That always works. But the normal boot up
> fails more and more often.
>
> So I deleted the splash in the main kernel and now it works fine
> too.
>
> Karl

I guess what I'm saying is ... From what I can gather, unless you are a
gamer, do you really need the Linux Nvidia drivers?

I don't game, so the drivers that Linux used on default seem to work
just dandy.

Just my .02 worth.

--

Mine started doing this last night. I am a gamer, and usually use
Compiz when not gaming (I set it on/off) but doing some web design last

Rich

Old 02-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Karl Larsen

Chris wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> There has been a long learning curve on the Nvidia video device(s)
>> in Linux and it appears the best Linux drivers provided to us are not
>> well tested. In my case I find if there is a splash added to the kernel
>> list Nvidia will not start reliably.
>>
>> Of late I have had to boot using the emergency kernel which has no
>> splash in the kernel line. That always works. But the normal boot up
>> fails more and more often.
>>
>> So I deleted the splash in the main kernel and now it works fine too.
>>
>> Karl
>>

> Karl -
>
> Not sure if it matters or not however, I myself us an Nvidia card on my
> Fedora 8 box. I did not install the N-Drivers for it. I use the 8400 GS.
>
> Don't know it it makes a difference or not - This 8400 just worked when
> I popped it in an already-installed Fedora box.

When it stops working try to remember what I said.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-05-2008, 07:18 PM
Chris

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>
>>> There has been a long learning curve on the Nvidia video device(s)
>>> in Linux and it appears the best Linux drivers provided to us are not
>>> well tested. In my case I find if there is a splash added to the kernel
>>> list Nvidia will not start reliably.
>>>
>>> Of late I have had to boot using the emergency kernel which has no
>>> splash in the kernel line. That always works. But the normal boot up
>>> fails more and more often.
>>>
>>> So I deleted the splash in the main kernel and now it works fine too.
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>

>> Karl -
>>
>> Not sure if it matters or not however, I myself us an Nvidia card on my
>> Fedora 8 box. I did not install the N-Drivers for it. I use the 8400 GS.
>>
>> Don't know it it makes a difference or not - This 8400 just worked when
>> I popped it in an already-installed Fedora box.
>>

> When it stops working try to remember what I said.
>

> KarlRestricted Drivers

Ahh - My fault. I assumed you were using the "Restricted Drivers" for
your Nvidia.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:16 PM
NoOp

On 02/05/2008 05:52 AM, Karl Larsen wrote:
> There has been a long learning curve on the Nvidia video device(s)
> in Linux and it appears the best Linux drivers provided to us are not
> well tested. In my case I find if there is a splash added to the kernel
> list Nvidia will not start reliably.
>
> Of late I have had to boot using the emergency kernel which has no
> splash in the kernel line. That always works. But the normal boot up
> fails more and more often.
>
> So I deleted the splash in the main kernel and now it works fine too.
>
> Karl

Perhaps related to a problem that I just experienced this morning with a
T21 Thinkpad (ATI video - no Nvidia). One of the updates that I did -
perhaps the new kernel security update - created a problem whereby the
system would boot, I'd get the standard splash, then a black screen
instead of the gdm login screen. Couldn't Ctrl-Alt-F1 - nothing. Had to
reboot using recovery mode and entering gdm from there. Even tried sudo
dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg.

At first I thought it was a grub issue, so I tried the nosplash & then
it seemed to boot with a good gdm. Tried adding vga=733 and a few other
odds & ends, but still unreliable. I finally did a comparison the the
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file on my other 'un-updated' A21 Thinkpad and found
that the updated system's xorg.conf 'DefaultDepth' had been set to 16 vs
my standard 24. Reset DefaultDepth to 24 & no more problems.

So now I'm back to 'splash' and removed the vga= etc.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Karl Larsen

NoOp wrote:
> On 02/05/2008 05:52 AM, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> There has been a long learning curve on the Nvidia video device(s)
>> in Linux and it appears the best Linux drivers provided to us are not
>> well tested. In my case I find if there is a splash added to the kernel
>> list Nvidia will not start reliably.
>>
>> Of late I have had to boot using the emergency kernel which has no
>> splash in the kernel line. That always works. But the normal boot up
>> fails more and more often.
>>
>> So I deleted the splash in the main kernel and now it works fine too.
>>
>> Karl
>>

> Perhaps related to a problem that I just experienced this morning with a
> T21 Thinkpad (ATI video - no Nvidia). One of the updates that I did -
> perhaps the new kernel security update - created a problem whereby the
> system would boot, I'd get the standard splash, then a black screen
> instead of the gdm login screen. Couldn't Ctrl-Alt-F1 - nothing. Had to
> reboot using recovery mode and entering gdm from there. Even tried sudo
> dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg.
>
> At first I thought it was a grub issue, so I tried the nosplash & then
> it seemed to boot with a good gdm. Tried adding vga=733 and a few other
> odds & ends, but still unreliable. I finally did a comparison the the
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf file on my other 'un-updated' A21 Thinkpad and found
> that the updated system's xorg.conf 'DefaultDepth' had been set to 16 vs
> my standard 24. Reset DefaultDepth to 24 & no more problems.
>
> So now I'm back to 'splash' and removed the vga= etc.

Very interesting. I was sure when you got your new kernel you lost
the kernel driver for your video card. This happens always with Nvidia
unless you get a new driver upgrade too. I hope Ubuntu has this feature.

I think the splash problem is a problem with the Nvidia software. Of
course both the splash and Nvidia modules are picked up by the kernel
and they must interact in poor ways :-)

karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI