-   -   IBM Lotus Symphony (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/477394-ibm-lotus-symphony.html)

Jim Byrnes 01-16-2011 10:03 PM

IBM Lotus Symphony

I wanted to try out Symphony for Ubuntu.

I downloaded the deb file into 10.10 running in virtualbox on 10.04
AMD64. When I opened it in the Software Center I get an error message
"wrong architecture i386" and the install button was greyed out.

Has anyone gotten this to run on a AMD64? I didn't see a 64bit version
on the IBM site, but I thought you could run 32bit on a 64bit os.

Regards, Jim

Lucio M Nicolosi 01-16-2011 10:46 PM

IBM Lotus Symphony

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 9:03 PM, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:
> I wanted to try out Symphony for Ubuntu.
>
> I downloaded the deb file into 10.10 running in virtualbox on 10.04 AMD64.
> When I opened it in the Software Center I get an error message "wrong
> architecture i386" and the install button was greyed out.
>
> Has anyone gotten this to run on a AMD64? *I didn't see a 64bit version on
> the IBM site, but I thought you could run 32bit on a 64bit os.

Symphony sucks, however you can force-install it, following the
instructions (FI) on this link:

http://linuxforums.org.uk/ubuntu/how-to-install-ibm-lotus-symphony-in-ubuntu-10-04-64bit/

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
GNU-Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/

Graham Todd 01-17-2011 12:04 AM

IBM Lotus Symphony

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:03:18 -0600
Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:

> Has anyone gotten this to run on a AMD64? I didn't see a 64bit
> version on the IBM site, but I thought you could run 32bit on a 64bit
> os.
[snipped]

Yes, you can, but you must have installed the 32bit version of Ubuntu
to try a 32bit application. If you have installed the 64bit version, you
will get this error message with Symphony (and some other applications)

--
Graham Todd

Lucio M Nicolosi 01-17-2011 12:36 AM

IBM Lotus Symphony

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 11:04 PM, Graham Todd <grahamtodd2@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:03:18 -0600
> Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone gotten this to run on a AMD64? *I didn't see a 64bit
>> version on the IBM site, but I thought you could run 32bit on a 64bit
>> os.
> [snipped]
>
> Yes, you can, but you must have installed the 32bit version of Ubuntu
> to try a 32bit application. If you have installed the 64bit version, you
> will get this error message with Symphony (and some other applications)

Not exactly...

Jim Byrnes 01-17-2011 01:03 AM

IBM Lotus Symphony

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:

I wanted to try out Symphony for Ubuntu.

I downloaded the deb file into 10.10 running in virtualbox on 10.04 AMD64.
When I opened it in the Software Center I get an error message "wrong
architecture i386" and the install button was greyed out.

Has anyone gotten this to run on a AMD64? I didn't see a 64bit version on
the IBM site, but I thought you could run 32bit on a 64bit os.

Symphony sucks, however you can force-install it, following the
instructions (FI) on this link:

http://linuxforums.org.uk/ubuntu/how-to-install-ibm-lotus-symphony-in-ubuntu-10-04-64bit/

Lucio,

Thanks for the link. It looks like a complex process, so I'll wait
until I've had a little rest before trying it.

Thanks, again for the link.

Regards, Jim

Jim Byrnes 01-17-2011 01:23 AM

IBM Lotus Symphony

Jim Byrnes wrote:

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:

I wanted to try out Symphony for Ubuntu.

I downloaded the deb file into 10.10 running in virtualbox on 10.04
AMD64.
When I opened it in the Software Center I get an error message "wrong
architecture i386" and the install button was greyed out.

Has anyone gotten this to run on a AMD64? I didn't see a 64bit
version on
the IBM site, but I thought you could run 32bit on a 64bit os.

Symphony sucks, however you can force-install it, following the
instructions (FI) on this link:

http://linuxforums.org.uk/ubuntu/how-to-install-ibm-lotus-symphony-in-ubuntu-10-04-64bit/

Lucio,

Thanks for the link. It looks like a complex process, so I'll wait until
I've had a little rest before trying it.

Thanks, again for the link.

Regards, Jim

I guess I was tired. I missed the link where it had be packaged as a
deb for amd64. Got it up and running now.

Thanks, Jim

Lucio M Nicolosi 01-17-2011 01:29 AM

IBM Lotus Symphony

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 12:23 AM, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:
> Jim Byrnes wrote:
> I guess I was tired. *I missed the link where it had be packaged as a deb
> for amd64. *Got it up and running now.

Jim,

I'm happy it worked.

Good luck with Symphony.