Old 01-16-2011, 04:49 PM
MR ZenWiz

Default Installing Firefox4 beta with working plugins

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:
> I wanted to try out the Firefox4 beta. *I followed the instructions for
> installing it found here:
>
> http://www.liberiangeek.net/2010/12/install-firefox-4-beta-ubuntu-10-10-maverick-meerkat/
>
> It runs but aboutlugins shows that no plugins are installed.
>
> How do I activate the plugins? In particular I was trying to get the java
> plugin to work. *I have installed the Sun jre and plugin from the partners
> repository.
>
> I am testing this on Meekrat running in virtualbox on Ubuntu 10.04 AMD64.

You're running a beta test version of an application - perhaps you
should check with Mozilla?

Old 01-16-2011, 05:50 PM
"Goh Lip"

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 01:28:23 +0800, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net>
wrote:

I wanted to try out the Firefox4 beta. I followed the instructions for
installing it found here:

http://www.liberiangeek.net/2010/12/install-firefox-4-beta-ubuntu-10-10-maverick-meerkat/

It runs but aboutlugins shows that no plugins are installed.

How do I activate the plugins? In particular I was trying to get the
java plugin to work. I have installed the Sun jre and plugin from the
partners repository.

I am testing this on Meekrat running in virtualbox on Ubuntu 10.04 AMD64.

Thanks, Jim

Put or syslink plugins to this folder
/usr/lib/firefox-4.0b8/plugins

Regards - Goh Lip

--
I used to have an open mind,
but my brains kept falling out.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 02:50 +0800, Goh Lip wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 01:28:23 +0800, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> > I wanted to try out the Firefox4 beta. I followed the instructions for
> > installing it found here:
> >

> > http://www.liberiangeek.net/2010/12/install-firefox-4-beta-ubuntu-10-10-maverick-meerkat/
> >
> > It runs but aboutlugins shows that no plugins are installed.
> >
> > How do I activate the plugins? In particular I was trying to get the
> > java plugin to work. I have installed the Sun jre and plugin from the
> > partners repository.
> >
> > I am testing this on Meekrat running in virtualbox on Ubuntu 10.04 AMD64.
> >
> > Thanks, Jim
> >

> Put or syslink plugins to this folder
> /usr/lib/firefox-4.0b8/plugins

Would that simlink be placed in .mozilla/firefox to 'plugins/' ?

Linux user# 44256

Old 01-16-2011, 11:38 PM
Goh Lip

On Monday 17,January,2011 03:17 AM, Ric Moore wrote:

> Put or syslink plugins to this folder
> /usr/lib/firefox-4.0b8/plugins

Would that simlink be placed in .mozilla/firefox to 'plugins/' ?

No, placed in /usr/lib/firefox-4.0b8/plugins

Regards - Goh Lip

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:59 PM
Jim Byrnes

Goh Lip wrote:

On Monday 17,January,2011 03:17 AM, Ric Moore wrote:

> Put or syslink plugins to this folder
> /usr/lib/firefox-4.0b8/plugins

Would that simlink be placed in .mozilla/firefox to 'plugins/' ?

No, placed in /usr/lib/firefox-4.0b8/plugins

Regards - Goh Lip

Goh Lip,

Thanks for the info.

Regards, Jim

Old 01-17-2011, 05:02 AM
Basil Chupin

wrote:

I wanted to try out the Firefox4 beta. I followed the instructions for
installing it found here:

http://www.liberiangeek.net/2010/12/install-firefox-4-beta-ubuntu-10-10-maverick-meerkat/

It runs but aboutlugins shows that no plugins are installed.

How do I activate the plugins? In particular I was trying to get the
java plugin to work. I have installed the Sun jre and plugin from the
partners repository.

I am testing this on Meekrat running in virtualbox on Ubuntu 10.04 AMD64.

Thanks, Jim

Put or syslink plugins to this folder
/usr/lib/firefox-4.0b8/plugins

Would that simlink be placed in .mozilla/firefox to 'plugins/' ?

I would place a "simlink" in my mobile phone but put a "symlink" in my
Linux distro, that's what I would do if I had to that is...... :-) .

BC

--
"To know that we know what we know, and that we do not know what we do not know, that is true knowledge."
Confucius