-   -   Different Video option ideas (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/477198-different-video-option-ideas.html)

Linda 01-16-2011 12:33 PM

Different Video option ideas

I have an old Toshiba A56 Satellite laptop computer. It was
freezing in Windows and driving the employee nuts. I
installed 8.04 LTS on it and it never froze up in the year
and a half it was running 8.04 LTS. I have now upgraded it
to 10.04 LTS. To get video to work I use the i915.modeset=1
xforcevesa however now if the user logs off and the computer
sits idle for an extended period of time it will freeze. I
can not find the specs for the computer anywhere but the A55
has Intel Extreme Graphics so maybe it is the same. Does
anyone have suggestions for a different video setting to try
that might work better? For now I have just told the user to
shutdown rather than log off as a work around, since so far
it only freezes on the login screen.

Thanks
Linda

Basil Chupin 01-17-2011 04:54 AM

Different Video option ideas

I have an old Toshiba A56 Satellite laptop computer. It was freezing
in Windows and driving the employee nuts. I installed 8.04 LTS on it
and it never froze up in the year and a half it was running 8.04 LTS.
I have now upgraded it to 10.04 LTS. To get video to work I use the
i915.modeset=1 xforcevesa however now if the user logs off and the
computer sits idle for an extended period of time it will freeze. I
can not find the specs for the computer anywhere but the A55 has Intel
Extreme Graphics so maybe it is the same. Does anyone have suggestions
for a different video setting to try that might work better? For now I
have just told the user to shutdown rather than log off as a work
around, since so far it only freezes on the login screen.

Thanks
Linda

I don't have an answer but only a question: are you sure that it is
'freezing' or simply going into something like hibernation[1]? (and when
it does "freeze" what do you do to "unfreeze" it"?) [Another question
while I think of it :-) : was this upgrade a fresh install or an upgrade
in the true sense (via the Update Manger)?

BC

[1] What's set in System>Preferences>Screensaver>PowerManagement?

--
"To know that we know what we know, and that we do not know what we do not know, that is true knowledge."
Confucius

Linda 01-17-2011 02:01 PM

[...]

It was a clean install. When it freezes it will not respond
to keyboard, or mouse, nor can you ssh in so I have to turn
off the power and reboot
The laptop is always plugged in since the battery will not
hold a charge. The power management shows Put to sleep -
never, when lid is shut - shutdown, Turn off display after
30 min. I did change this to never, maybe it could solve the
problem.

Linda

David Curtis 01-17-2011 02:28 PM

[...]

Have you checked /var/log/Xorg.(n).log to see if it really is xorg crashing, also see if xorg is really using vesa not intel there too. I say this because most freeze ups are graphics related and this could be a 3d screensaver invoking before hibernate/suspend timeout occurs.

Dave