-   -   webcam for skype under Ubuntu (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/476860-webcam-skype-under-ubuntu.html)

loody 01-15-2011 10:07 AM

webcam for skype under Ubuntu

Dear all:
I intend to buy a webcam for video conference meeting over skype under Ubuntu.
1. Shall I buy any webcam will be fine?
2. or I have to buy the webcam that is certificated by Skype.

if 2 is the correct choice, is there anything special for skype certification?
software compatibility?

--
Thanks for your kind help,
miloody

Alan Pope 01-15-2011 10:46 AM

On 15 January 2011 11:07, loody <miloody@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all:
> I intend to buy a webcam for video conference meeting over skype under Ubuntu.
> 1. Shall I buy any webcam will be fine?

Most are, some aren't. Personally I use a Logitech Pro 9000 webcam and
it works very nicely.

Cheers,
Al.

Tony Pursell 01-15-2011 12:39 PM

On Sat, 2011-01-15 at 11:46 +0000, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 15 January 2011 11:07, loody <miloody@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear all:
> > I intend to buy a webcam for video conference meeting over skype under Ubuntu.
> > 1. Shall I buy any webcam will be fine?
>
> Most are, some aren't. Personally I use a Logitech Pro 9000 webcam and
> it works very nicely.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

My Logitech C250 is fine with Skype as well. Recently Amazon (in UK)
had a good deal on them. Whatever you do, make sure you buy a UVC (USB
Video Class) compliant webcam for max compatibility with Ubuntu
applications.

Tony

Lucio M Nicolosi 01-15-2011 02:42 PM

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 9:07 AM, loody <miloody@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all:
> I intend to buy a webcam for video conference meeting over skype under Ubuntu.
ailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Remember that the current release of Skype for Linux does not enable
video conferences, only person to person video calls. If a third party
is invited for a conference you lose the video entirely, it becomes an
audio conference.

(My webcam is an entry model from Microsoft and it works perfectly.)

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
GNU-Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/

loody 01-17-2011 09:01 AM

webcam for skype under Ubuntu

hi all:
I really appreciate all you kind help :0
2011/1/17 Paulo Assis <pj.assis@gmail.com>:
> Just get a uvc camera they have the best support under linux:
> http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/#devices
Actually why I post this mail because I want to know what kind of
specific Technics that Skype need for certification.
there are a lot of webcams that are UVC compatible, but I found there
is seldom webcam that is skype certificated.
If UVC compatible webcams are ok for skype, that means we don't need
to care about skype certification, right?
thanks a lot,
miloody

Dotan Cohen 01-17-2011 09:58 PM

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 13:07, loody <miloody@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all:
> I intend to buy a webcam for video conference meeting over skype under Ubuntu.
> 1. Shall I buy any webcam will be fine?
> 2. or I have to buy the webcam that is certificated by Skype.
>
> if 2 is the correct choice, is there anything special for skype certification?
> software compatibility?

I use a Logitech C905 with Skype in Kubuntu regularly and it is great.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com