Old 01-18-2011, 03:36 AM
Pastor JW

Default Problem during upgrade from 08.04 LTS to 10.04.1 LTS

On Sunday, January 16, 2011 2:30:20 pm Colin Law wrote:
> On 16 January 2011 22:20, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'd be interested to know what's special about an LTS to LTS upgrade.
> > There's no reason why an 8.04 to 10.04 upgrade'd be successful but an
> > 8.10 to 10.10 upgrade wouldn't be - other than marketing. If done
> > carefully, both these upgrades should be possible given that it's
> > possible (and possibly encouraged) to upgrade from one Debian version
> > to another when they're published 2-3 years apart.
>
> The difference is that the upgrade software is designed to cope with
> LTS to LTS but otherwise only one release at a time. This is so that
> a user can specifically choose to use only LTS versions.

Which indeed is why I recommend my business users use only those more stable
LTS versions. I do also try to wait till a good two weeks after release so I
can avoid the early pitfalls.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403