Old 01-15-2011, 02:20 AM
Jay Ridgley

Default Problem during upgrade from 08.04 LTS to 19.04.1 LTS **HELP**

Folks,

I am attempting to upgrade one of my systems from 08.04 LTS (all updates have
been applied). However, after completing the download (1702 files) the following
message appears:

Error during commit.
E:Couldn't configure pre-depend jre for openoffice.org-writer2latex, probably a
dependence cycle.'

Restoring original system state.

How should I proceed? Google does not seem to have a solution, there are several
reports...

Cheers,
Jay
--

Jay Ridgley
jridgley2@austin.rr.com

Old 01-15-2011, 06:24 AM
MR ZenWiz

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Jay Ridgley <jridgley2@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I am attempting to upgrade one of my systems from 08.04 LTS (all updates
> have been applied). However, after completing the download (1702 files) the
> following message appears:
>
> Error during commit.
> E:Couldn't configure pre-depend jre for openoffice.org-writer2latex,
> probably a dependence cycle.'
> Restoring original system state.
>
> How should I proceed? Google does not seem to have a solution, there are
> several reports...

I've heard that upgrading more than one release is a bad idea,
especially with Ubuntu. When I was using CentOS, I would only update
within a single release (i.e., release 4, then release 5), but from
one major release to another it was installation time.

Ubuntu is different, of course, but I think the jump you're making -
four release cycles all at once - is probably the same level of risk
(and possibly insanity :-).

I would recommend backing up your non-system files, removing all
configuration files and then install 10.04.1 (or 10.10, if you're up
to it) fresh and reconfigure what you need to reconfigure.

If you're stuck on doing upgrades, you're also kind of stuck with the
stumbling blocks you hit along the way.

Good luck.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:54 AM
Doug

On 01/15/2011 02:24 AM, MR ZenWiz wrote:

[...]

I installed Ubuntu 10.10 several months ago, and while I admit that I
haven't used it that much (I'm running a different Linux most of the
time) I never had any trouble with it. I just post this in reply to some
recent emails that said folks were having a lot of trouble. I don't know
what I did right, or they are doing wrong, just making an observation.
And, for the record, I did it with a new install, not an upgrade. Maybe
that's the difference.

--doug

Old 01-15-2011, 07:13 AM
Nils Kassube

MR ZenWiz wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Jay Ridgley <jridgley2@austin.rr.com>
wrote:
> > I am attempting to upgrade one of my systems from 08.04 LTS (all
> > updates have been applied). However, after completing the download
> > (1702 files) the following message appears:
> >
> > Error during commit.
> > E:Couldn't configure pre-depend jre for
> > openoffice.org-writer2latex, probably a dependence cycle.'
> > Restoring original system state.
>
> I've heard that upgrading more than one release is a bad idea,
> especially with Ubuntu.

Not exactly. LTS releases are an exception from the rule and this
upgrade from 8.04 LTS to 10.04.1 LTS would be a supported route [1].

@Jay: I would uninstall the package openoffice.org-writer2latex, try the
upgrade again and install that package again after the upgrade.

Nils

[1] <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LucidUpgrades>

Old 01-15-2011, 07:36 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 02:54:32 -0500
Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:

> I'm running a different Linux most of the
> time

PCLinuxOS? Or, maybe, ZorinOS?
BTW, did you ever locate the source code for ZorinOS?

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 01-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Doug

On 01/15/2011 03:36 AM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 02:54:32 -0500
Doug<dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:

I'm running a different Linux most of the
time

PCLinuxOS? Or, maybe, ZorinOS?
BTW, did you ever locate the source code for ZorinOS?

Cybe R. Wizard

PCLos. I installed ZorinOS, but I haven't played with it much.
I haven't looked for the source code. I expect the kernel is a
standard Linus-approved release--I don't remember which one.
Since I have no intention of ever trying to modify the source
code, either of the kernel or any of the --sh scripts, the
source code would not be of interest to me. (I'm not afraid
of the CLI, but the only things I have modified to date are the
sudo file in PCLos, to add myself to it, and the grub script
that Ubuntu corrodes so badly.*) (I use the PCLos version to
straighten it out.)
*Try multi-booting Ubuntu with any other Linux distro and
see what happens! You're likely to find out that you don't see
the other Linux, and you'll have 3 or more entries for the one
Ubuntu. The same thing happened with ZorinOS, BTW, which
shows its heritage perfectly.

--doug