-   -   Nvidia Card Question. (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/476671-nvidia-card-question.html)

MirJafar Ali 01-14-2011 07:37 PM

Nvidia Card Question.

Hello,

I have one naive question. I am not a window fan and almost all the time use Ubuntu. But lately I downloaded
Maya and other software for which I had to install VirtualBox ( with Window 7 as guest).

I have Nvidia GeForce 460 on my linux and it works fine, but should I install new driver for the window machine
in order to use Nvidia Card ?

How do I know if the window is using Nvidia card ?

Thanks.

Mir

Jesse Palser 01-14-2011 08:03 PM

Nvidia Card Question.

I have one naive question. I am not a window fan and almost all the
time use Ubuntu. But lately I downloaded
Maya and other software for which I had to install VirtualBox ( with
Window 7 as guest).

I have Nvidia GeForce 460 on my linux and it works fine, but should I
install new driver for the window machine

in order to use Nvidia Card ?

How do I know if the window is using Nvidia card ?

Thanks.

Mir

Hi,

You don't install nVidia drivers for a VirtualBox Windows 7 guest.
VirtualBox creates a virtual video adapter that is not nVidia.
You must install VirtualBox Guest Additions for Windows guest.

Jesse

MirJafar Ali 01-15-2011 01:36 AM

Nvidia Card Question.

I have one naive question. I am not a window fan and almost all the time use Ubuntu. But lately I downloaded

Maya and other software for which I had to install VirtualBox ( with Window 7 as guest).

I have Nvidia GeForce 460 on my linux and it works fine, but should I install new driver for the window machine

in order to use Nvidia Card ?

How do I know if the window is using Nvidia card ?

Thanks.

Mir

Hi,

You don't install nVidia drivers for a VirtualBox Windows 7 guest.

VirtualBox creates a virtual video adapter that is not nVidia.

You must install VirtualBox Guest Additions for Windows guest.

Jesse

Hello,

I didn't understand the last sentence. How should I do that ?

Mir

Bill Liao 01-15-2011 03:12 AM

Nvidia Card Question.

sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-additions*

I have one naive question. I am not a window fan and almost all the time use Ubuntu. But lately I downloaded

Maya and other software for which I had to install VirtualBox ( with Window 7 as guest).

I have Nvidia GeForce 460 on my linux and it works fine, but should I install new driver for the window machine

in order to use Nvidia Card ?

How do I know if the window is using Nvidia card ?

Thanks.

Mir

Hi,

You don't install nVidia drivers for a VirtualBox Windows 7 guest.

VirtualBox creates a virtual video adapter that is not nVidia.

You must install VirtualBox Guest Additions for Windows guest.

Jesse

Hello,

I didn't understand the last sentence. How should I do that ?

Mir

If the dream is BIG enough,the facts don't count!

Lucio M Nicolosi 01-15-2011 06:02 AM

Nvidia Card Question.

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 2:12 AM, Bill Liao <lwlw1988@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 10:36 AM, MirJafar Ali <mirjafarali@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Jesse Palser <SLNTHERO@aol.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> You don't install nVidia drivers for a VirtualBox Windows 7 guest.
>>> VirtualBox creates a virtual video adapter that is not nVidia.
>>> You must install VirtualBox Guest Additions for Windows guest.
>>>
>>> Jesse
>>
>> I didn't understand the last sentence. How should I do that ?
>>
>> Mir

> sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-additions

I'm afraid not. Virtualbox Guest Additions cannot be installed this
way. You should do as Jesse told you:

Enter your guest system and then look on top for the "Devices" menu
and inside it look for "Install Guest Additions...".

(@Bill Liao -> Please do not top post.)

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
GNU-Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/

MR ZenWiz 01-15-2011 06:25 AM

Nvidia Card Question.

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 8:12 PM, Bill Liao <lwlw1988@gmail.com> wrote:
> sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-additions

I'm just guessing, but I suspect you've never actually tried that.

Lucio has the right solutions (on VB and top-posting).

MirJafar Ali 01-15-2011 06:22 PM

Nvidia Card Question.

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 1:02 AM, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 2:12 AM, Bill Liao <lwlw1988@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 10:36 AM, MirJafar Ali <mirjafarali@gmail.com>

> wrote:

>> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Jesse Palser <SLNTHERO@aol.com> wrote:

>>> You don't install nVidia drivers for a VirtualBox Windows 7 guest.

>>> VirtualBox creates a virtual video adapter that is not nVidia.

>>> You must install VirtualBox Guest Additions for Windows guest.

>>> Jesse

>> I didn't understand the last sentence. How should I do that ?

>> Mir

> sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-additions

I'm afraid not. Virtualbox Guest Additions cannot be installed this

way. You should do as Jesse told you:

Enter your guest system and then look on top for the "Devices" menu

and inside it look for "Install Guest Additions...".

(@Bill Liao -> Please do not top post.)

--

L M Nicolosi, Eng.

GNU-Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/

Ubuntu 10.10 AMD64

could you explain what are the guest addition ?

Thanks.
Mir

Nils Kassube 01-15-2011 06:32 PM

Nvidia Card Question.

From <http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html>:

| They consist of device drivers and system applications that optimize
| the guest operating system for better performance and usability.

Nils

MR ZenWiz 01-16-2011 03:18 AM

Nvidia Card Question.

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 11:22 AM, MirJafar Ali <mirjafarali@gmail.com> wrote:
:

> Hi,
>
> could you explain what are the guest addition ?

Well, yes, we could, but that *is* what documentation is for, and this
particular item is well-documented in the VB manuals.

Please do some minimal investigation before asking questions like that.