Old 01-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Kenneth Loafman

Default broken message IDs (was: create a boot-able disk from an iso file)

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 10:32 AM, Goh Lip <g.lip@gmx.com> wrote:

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 00:12:10 +0800, Kenneth Loafman <kenneth@loafman.com> wrote:

What is it that breaks the message IDs in the threading-relevant headers of

your

posts, making each of your replies appear to be a the start of a new

thread?

I find that pretty annoying. Can you fix that somehow, please?

Ummm, it's not broken for the rest of us. *Perhaps it's one of:

It's broken. Perhaps it's because Boggess uses Microsoft Exchange for his emails.

It may not appear broken to you (Kenneth) because you read emails in gmail from your web browser and gmail sort replying to the "replied to" message. Try reading it from any mail client and perhaps you'll find it broken.

And yes, it's pretty annoying.

I read this list on Gmail, on Thunderbird, and on a Droid phone.* No problem on either one.* You can even change the Subject and the thread will stay intact, as it should.

MS has known problems when dealing with Internet standards and Exchange is one of the worst offenders.

...Ken

Old 01-14-2011, 04:41 PM
Kenneth Loafman

Sorry, my error.* I misread your original message.* His messages are screwed up.* I thought you meant the list itself.

--

Sent from my Droid.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 3:00 PM, KD <kdall99@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Kenneth Loafman <kenneth <at> loafman.com> writes:
>
>> I read this list on Gmail, on Thunderbird, and on a Droid phone.* No problem
> on either one.
>
> What does "No problem" exactly mean? Does it mean that Rod's message - the one I
> replied to - is not shown as start of a new thread on gmane for you? Than you're
> probably using a different gmane than I do.
>
>> You can even change the Subject and the thread will stay intact, as it should.
>
> What does that mean? How are you changing the subject in other people's posts?
> And what does that prove?
>
> BTW: Take a look at this
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2011-January/thread.html
> and see if you can find one of Rod's messages that is shown with some level of
> indentation.

Boggess Rod consistently breaks the thread (but not always, so he must
know what causes this) and seemingly doesn't give a sh__ , because was
already warned to no avail.

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
GNU-Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/

Old 01-15-2011, 01:27 AM
Matt Johnson

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 02:39:23PM -0500, Boggess Rod wrote:
> >What is it that breaks the message IDs in the threading-relevant
> headers of
> >your
> >posts, making each of your replies appear to be a the start of a new
> >thread?
>
> Don't know, probably because I receive these in digest form?
>
> >I find that pretty annoying. Can you fix that somehow, please?
> >

> Nope.

As someone new to Ubuntu and this mailing list (and generally pretty
inexperienced with this sort of thing), it seems that there are quite a few
messages in my inbox about top-posting, html email and now threading. I now
understand two out of three of these. I'm sure there are other things that might
be avoided that I don't know about yet. But, I can't help wondering if it would
be better to mail someone off list if they inadvertently cause others hassle,
rather than telling them they're doing it all wrong in public. I haven't thought
this through, but an email off list would seem to me like a 'quiet helpful word'
rather than such a long discussion each time. I suppose in reality they'd
receive a handful of emails pointing it out, but that may well be better than
them reading through the spiral of conversations on list caused by their
mistake. I'm sure there'll be another next week (I may have managed it in this
email).

All the best,

--
Matt