Old 01-13-2011, 06:43 PM
"Boggess Rod"

Default elevated access from xrdp

A while back, I mentioned that the IT guys swapped out my dead drive
with a dying drive, which died, and so was swapped out with a new dying
drive, with a controller so buggy that it's blacklisted in the Linux
kernel. (No respect, I tell ya.) I have some spare time at work, so I
decided I'd get around this problem by installing Ubuntu on my
development box, which I only access via terminal services.

XRDP, btw, doesn't work correctly in 10.04, so I upgraded to 10.10. It
appears to work fine. My first clue that something was amiss was when I
ran Synaptic Package Manager and it reports that it is unable to copy
the user's Xauthorization file. I assumed that was because I was using
xrdp and it either has a safety issue or because the file is in use by
the server.

After trudging back and forth a bit, everything's installed, and my
experiments are done, but I remain curious. I can't mount the windows
partition, I can't run the Disk Utility (flashes and disappears), and I
can't run Synaptic Package Manager. Anyone got any ideas what's blocking
these functions when I access via terminal services?

Old 01-13-2011, 07:50 PM
"Boggess Rod"

>XRDP, btw, doesn't work correctly in 10.04, so I upgraded to 10.10. It
>appears to work fine. My first clue that something was amiss was when I
>ran Synaptic Package Manager and it reports that it is unable to copy
>the user's Xauthorization file. I assumed that was because I was using
>xrdp and it either has a safety issue or because the file is in use by
>the server.
>
>After trudging back and forth a bit, everything's installed, and my
>experiments are done, but I remain curious. I can't mount the windows
>partition, I can't run the Disk Utility (flashes and disappears), and I
>can't run Synaptic Package Manager. Anyone got any ideas what's
blocking
>these functions when I access via terminal services?

Ok, some of this is coming back to me. Part of the mystery is solved by
creating an .Xauthority file in my home directory. Still can't mount the
drive, though. Anyone have a handy link for xauth for idiots or the
.Xauthority Bible? Google is not being my friend at the moment.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:42 PM
"Boggess Rod"

>Ok, some of this is coming back to me. Part of the mystery is solved by
>creating an .Xauthority file in my home directory. Still can't mount
the
>drive, though. Anyone have a handy link for xauth for idiots or the
>.Xauthority Bible? Google is not being my friend at the moment.

Well, although I'm not happy (and haven't given up yet), I am able to
mount the directory from the command line. For posterity:

$sudo fdisk -l

/dev/sda2 * 7 6812 5400000+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

$sudo mkdir /media/windows
$sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda2 /media/windows
$CD /media/windows/WINDOWS/system32/config

I still can't get Places to open the file system, though. What's weird
is that I can walk back to the closet and mount it, then dismount it
from my remote session. But when I mount it from the command line, I
have to dismount it from the command line.

I don't think I'm going to find joy in making the Gnome Places menu to
work. There don't appear to be any good tuts on xauth, either. I realize
it's been a while, but I don't remember it being so hard to find
information when I was working on Vaxen.