-   -   PPA? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/476199-ppa.html)

Jim Byrnes 01-13-2011 06:40 PM

PPA?

I am thinking of using qtstalker. The version in the Lucid repositories
mthat I installed is .32 but the latest stable version is .36. A PPA
has been setup. I read through the docs on how to use a PPA, but have
one question.

If I install .36 from the PPA will it update my installed .32 or will it
install a new copy.

Thanks, Jim

Colin Law 01-13-2011 07:41 PM

PPA?

On 13 January 2011 19:40, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:
> I am thinking of using qtstalker. *The version in the Lucid repositories
> mthat I installed is .32 but the latest stable version is .36. *A PPA has
> been setup. *I read through the docs on how to use a PPA, but have one
> question.
>
> If I install .36 from the PPA will it update my installed .32 or will it
> install a new copy.

It should update your existing one.

You might want to know about ppa-purge which is a very useful utility
to get rid of a ppa and restore everything back as it was, in case you
decide you want to go back.

Colin

Jim Byrnes 01-13-2011 09:45 PM

PPA?

Colin Law wrote:

I am thinking of using qtstalker. The version in the Lucid repositories
mthat I installed is .32 but the latest stable version is .36. A PPA has
been setup. I read through the docs on how to use a PPA, but have one
question.

If I install .36 from the PPA will it update my installed .32 or will it
install a new copy.

It should update your existing one.

You might want to know about ppa-purge which is a very useful utility
to get rid of a ppa and restore everything back as it was, in case you
decide you want to go back.

Colin

Colin,

Thanks for the info. I use Lucid and I see that ppa-purge is only in
the Maverick repositories. How hard would it be to install it on Lucid
if I decided I wanted to use it? As you can probably tell from my
questions I mostly install software from the official repositories.

Thanks, Jim

Yorvyk 01-13-2011 10:56 PM

PPA?

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 16:45:03 -0600
Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:

> Colin Law wrote:
> > On 13 January 2011 19:40, Jim Byrnes<jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:
> >> I am thinking of using qtstalker. The version in the Lucid repositories
> >> mthat I installed is .32 but the latest stable version is .36. A PPA has
> >> been setup. I read through the docs on how to use a PPA, but have one
> >> question.
> >>
> >> If I install .36 from the PPA will it update my installed .32 or will it
> >> install a new copy.
> >
> > It should update your existing one.
> >
> > You might want to know about ppa-purge which is a very useful utility
> > to get rid of a ppa and restore everything back as it was, in case you
> > decide you want to go back.
> >
> > Colin
> >

> Colin,
>
> Thanks for the info. I use Lucid and I see that ppa-purge is only in
> the Maverick repositories. How hard would it be to install it on Lucid
> if I decided I wanted to use it? As you can probably tell from my
> questions I mostly install software from the official repositories.
>
> Thanks, Jim

It's available in Lucid if you enable backports.

--
Steve Cook (Yorvyk)

http://lubuntu.net

Jim Byrnes 01-14-2011 12:37 AM

[...]