Old 01-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Knapp

Default Sony Walkman USB fail

Hello, I have a sony walkman music player that is having a really
hard time uploading. It sometimes will upload a few files but then the
connection icon vanishes. It often only uploads part of the file. This
often seems to happen when there is an error like can't change
permissions. Any ideas about how to fix this. It seemed to happen with
other players too.

I have mostly tried with Dolphin but with other ways too, same results.

(uploading; from computer to player)

I Forgot, Kubuntu 10.10 64 bit. It drops the connection but the player
is stuck in do not disconnect like it thinks the transfer is till
going on. It stays that way for one hour when I tested. (I have asked
on Kubuntu but like normally, I got no answer. It is starting to look
like Kubuntu is almost dead! :-( )

Sometimes I get error number 5 but I can't find what that means.

Thanks!
--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!

Massage in Gelsenkirchen-Buer:
http://douglas.bespin.org/tcm/ztab1.htm

Open Source Sci-Fi mmoRPG Game project.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:42 PM
David Fletcher

On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 19:03 +0100, Knapp wrote:
> Hello, I have a sony walkman music player that is having a really
> hard time uploading. It sometimes will upload a few files but then the
> connection icon vanishes. It often only uploads part of the file. This
> often seems to happen when there is an error like can't change
> permissions. Any ideas about how to fix this. It seemed to happen with
> other players too.
>
> I have mostly tried with Dolphin but with other ways too, same results.
>
> (uploading; from computer to player)

I only have an old iRiver player, so whether my method will work or not
I don't know, but it might be worth a try:-

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubuntu-users/2007-November/022195.html

Old 01-14-2011, 07:11 AM
Knapp

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 8:42 PM, David Fletcher <dave@thefletchers.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 19:03 +0100, Knapp wrote:
>> Hello, I have *a sony walkman music player that is having a really
>> hard time uploading. It sometimes will upload a few files but then the
>> connection icon vanishes. It often only uploads part of the file. This
>> often seems to happen when there is an error like can't change
>> permissions. Any ideas about how to fix this. It seemed to happen with
>> other players too.
>>
>> I have mostly tried with Dolphin but with other ways too, same results.
>>
>> (uploading; from computer to player)
>>

> I only have an old iRiver player, so whether my method will work or not
> I don't know, but it might be worth a try:-
>
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubuntu-users/2007-November/022195.html

Thanks for the idea. I gave it a go and got this error.

douglas4@frog:~/Walkman$ rsync -rvtW --delay-updates --modify-window=1
/home/douglas4/Walkman /media/WALKMAN/MUSIC/
building file list ... done
Walkman/
Walkman/Pern 13 - The Renegades of Pern/
Walkman/Pern 13 - The Renegades of Pern/01-06 of 16.m4a
Walkman/Pern 13 - The Renegades of Pern/07-12 of 16.m4a
rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes to socket [sender]:
Broken pipe (32)
Unable to create partial-dir for Walkman/Pern 13 - The Renegades of
Pern/01-06 of 16.m4a -- discarding completed file.
rsync: write failed on "/media/WALKMAN/MUSIC/Walkman/Pern 13 - The
Renegades of Pern/07-12 of 16.m4a": Input/output error (5)
rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at receiver.c(302) [receiver=3.0.7]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (53 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
io.c(601) [sender=3.0.7]

Old 01-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Pete

[...]

Hi,
Have more info than a solution!! in my winxp days my sony mp3 player
needed a win programme called 'sonic stage' in order for that to work
with xp?! to the best of my knowledge it converted the file to 'openmg'?
that was a unique sony format! as i have since got rid off the sony item
i cannot test on buntu for you but hope this may point towards a solution.

regards

Pete

Old 01-14-2011, 09:48 AM
David Fletcher

On Fri, 2011-01-14 at 10:04 +0000, Pete wrote:
> On 14/01/11 08:11, Knapp wrote:
> >

> Hi,
> Have more info than a solution!! in my winxp days my sony mp3 player
> needed a win programme called 'sonic stage' in order for that to work
> with xp?! to the best of my knowledge it converted the file to 'openmg'?
> that was a unique sony format! as i have since got rid off the sony item
> i cannot test on buntu for you but hope this may point towards a solution.
>
> regards
>
> Pete

Following advice given here, I bought my son a 16GB Sansa Fuze+ player.
He's using it with his new 64 bit Maverick PC and Ogg Vorbis files, and
is very pleased with it.

Dave

Old 01-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Knapp

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Pete <psmouty@live.com> wrote:
> On 14/01/11 08:11, Knapp wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 8:42 PM, David Fletcher<dave@thefletchers.net>
>> *wrote:

>>> I only have an old iRiver player, so whether my method will work or not
>>> I don't know, but it might be worth a try:-
>>>
>>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubuntu-users/2007-November/022195.html
>>
>> Thanks for the idea. I gave it a go and got this error.
>>
>> douglas4@frog:~/Walkman$ rsync -rvtW --delay-updates --modify-window=1
>> /home/douglas4/Walkman /media/WALKMAN/MUSIC/
>> building file list ... done
>> Walkman/
>> Walkman/Pern 13 - The Renegades of Pern/
>> Walkman/Pern 13 - The Renegades of Pern/01-06 of 16.m4a
>> Walkman/Pern 13 - The Renegades of Pern/07-12 of 16.m4a
>> rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes to socket [sender]:
>> Broken pipe (32)
>> Unable to create partial-dir for Walkman/Pern 13 - The Renegades of
>> Pern/01-06 of 16.m4a -- discarding completed file.
>> rsync: write failed on "/media/WALKMAN/MUSIC/Walkman/Pern 13 - The
>> Renegades of Pern/07-12 of 16.m4a": Input/output error (5)
>> rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at receiver.c(302)
>> [receiver=3.0.7]
>> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (53 bytes received so far) [sender]
>> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
>> io.c(601) [sender=3.0.7]
>>

> Hi,
> Have more info than a solution!! in my winxp days my sony mp3 player needed
> a win programme called 'sonic stage' in order for that to work with xp?! to
> the best of my knowledge it converted the file to 'openmg'? that was a
> unique sony format! as i have since got rid off the sony item i cannot test
> on buntu for you but hope this may point towards a solution.
>
> regards
>
> Pete

Thanks but I don't think this is the problem. I have uploaded music
files and listened to them (Sometimes it works). This is some sort of
USB problem, I think.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:03 PM
Knapp

So I take it that no one has any idea about how to fix this or where
to go to ask?