Old 01-13-2011, 07:57 AM
Reinhard Hnat

Default Problem installing with apt-get

I have an Ubuntu Server 8.04 and tried to install tomcat6 with the
following result:

root@Mendelsson:/etc# apt-get install tomcat6
Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut
Reading state information... Fertig
E: Konnte Paket tomcat6 nicht finden (means "could not find packet
tomcat6")

Installing for example Java with the same procedure works perfectly.
What could be the cause?

Thanks in advance
R.Hnat

Old 01-13-2011, 08:24 AM
Scott Stevenson

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 09:57:19AM +0100, Reinhard Hnat wrote:
> I have an Ubuntu Server 8.04 and tried to install tomcat6 with the
> following result:
>
> root@Mendelsson:/etc# apt-get install tomcat6
> Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
> Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut
> Reading state information... Fertig
> E: Konnte Paket tomcat6 nicht finden (means "could not find packet
> tomcat6")
>
> Installing for example Java with the same procedure works perfectly.
> What could be the cause?

Do you have the necessary repository in /etc/sources/apt.list? tomcat6
(6.0.18-0ubuntu3.2~hardy1) is in the universe component of the backports
repository for 8.04 [1].

[1] http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy-backports/allpackages

--
Scott Stevenson <scott@ecubyx.com>