Old 01-12-2011, 05:02 PM
"Boggess Rod"

Default Linux Malware (was: create a boot-able disk from an iso file)

>On Tue 11 Jan 2011 at 23:42:49 +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:
>
>> I think root access isn't necessary at all for doing serious damage.
For
>> a "normal user" like me, the most valuable data are stored in my home
>> directory and malware running with my privileges can delete all those
>> files.
>
>You can achieve the same effect with rm. Which is why users who value
>their data take every precaution to safeguard it. The system has
limited
>responsibilty to protect you from yourself.

From a system admin perspective, I agree that it's not possible to 0wn
the system without root. However, as a user, I think your worst case
scenario is short sighted. As a user, I'm far less concerned with the
system than I am with, say, my bank account, and screen capture can be
done from the user account. As can mailing of said captures.

>> That would probably be the greatest damage that could be done to my
>> system.
>
>There is no damage to the system, only to the data which are in your
>home directory and which you are responsible for.
>
>> Furthermore, as a normal user the malware can start applications e.g.
>> to join a botnet and send spam mails. That would also be a major
>> damage, this time for the network, not for my machine. And again root
>> access isn't necessary.
>
>I can envisage how malware in $HOME could send email but how does it
get
>the machine to join a botnet? Anyway, as you imply, it's not a good
idea
>to download and install malware in your own space.

On the one hand, I don't wish to sound alarmist. Linux is arguably
already the top OS out there. (Your forgetting all those c1u31355
Android cell phone users.) Lots of hackers would be interested (and
monetarily compensated) for hacking celb phones, so it's not like it's
not a target. Still, the viral population remains an order of magnitude
less for the various flavors of Nixen OSes.

However, if you do want the list of malware, look at the Wikipedia
article for Linux_Malware. There's a list at the bottom. They're out
there.