Old 01-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Bill Stanley

Default connecting to a server

This is getting tedious...

Is there any way to get a BIG (4.5 GB) file from my server to the
laptop. I am having problems on the laptop with connecting to the
server where the BIG file is located. I have other computers on the
network that can access the file but not the lapto

I have tried to connect to the server using places/connect. I choose
Windows share and the servers name. I get back an error message stating

Cannot display location "smb//???" (note: The servers name is not ???)

The other computers on the network accessing this server so the problem
is in the laptop. I ran apt-get install smbfs to try to connect the
other was and use the laptop as a server and thus having the server SEND
the file. Still no luck. The laptop has a new install of 10.10 and
smbfs is the only change I have made from a fresh install.

PS is there any other way to get the big file to the laptop. I tried a
DVD but this file is to big for even a DVD. (The largest file you can
put on a DVD is 2 GB. I tried and failed.) Is there any way to split
up the file, write the pieces of the file to disk, read the disks on the
laptop and then reconstruct the big file from its pieces. This would
be very laborious and the network route is far better.

Bill Stanley

Old 01-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Chris Angelico

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 3:50 AM, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:
> This is getting tedious...
>
> Is there any way to get a BIG (4.5 GB) file from my server to the laptop. *I
> am having problems on the laptop *with connecting to the server where the
> BIG file is located. *I have other computers on the network that can access
> the file but not the lapto

There are a lot of issues with moving large (>4GB) files around. I
ended up writing a custom utility to send a large file to a Windows
computer, although that may have been more a Windows issue than
otherwise, and if both ends of the connection are Linux then it may be
easier.

Are you able to do it with FTP? If not, I'll see if I can rewrite the
recipient end of my file transfer utility for Linux, and see how it
goes. It uses TCP/IP rather than SMB, as in my experience it's more
reliable.

Chris Angelico

Old 01-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Colin Law

On 12 January 2011 16:50, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:
> This is getting tedious...
>
> Is there any way to get a BIG (4.5 GB) file from my server to the laptop. *I
> am having problems on the laptop *with connecting to the server where the
> BIG file is located. *I have other computers on the network that can access
> the file but not the lapto
>
> I have tried to connect to the server using places/connect. *I choose
> Windows share and the servers name. *I get back an error message stating
>
> Cannot display location "smb//???" *(note: The servers name is not ???)
>
> The other computers on the network accessing this server so the problem is
> in the laptop. *I ran apt-get install smbfs to try to connect the other was
> and use the laptop as a server and thus having the server SEND the file.
> *Still no luck. * The laptop has a new install of 10.10 and smbfs is the
> only change I have made from a fresh install.
>

> PS is there any other way to get the big file to the laptop. *I tried a DVD
> but this file is to big for even a DVD. *(The largest file you can put on a
> DVD is 2 GB. *I tried and failed.) *Is there any way to split up the file,
> write the pieces of the file to disk, read the disks on the laptop and then
> reconstruct the big file from its pieces. * This would be very laborious and
> the network route is far better.

Is the file already compressed?

What OS is the server running? If linux then I don't know whether
rsync would cope with it.

Colin

Old 01-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Linda

[...]

Can the laptop talk with the other computers on the network?
If it can you could transfer to another computer and then to
the laptop so you can get the file moved.

Then for solving your samba problems. First of all can you
ping or ssh between the two computers just to make sure that
it is a samba problem rather than a connection problem?
Did you set up everything so that hosts file is correct,
copy your old samba.conf files back on, reset your samba
passwords?
I usually connect the other direction windows to Linus with
samba or Linus to Linux with NFS, but last week when I did
the upgrade to 10.04 LTS I couldn't connect from windows
because the windows host file did not have the right IP
address for the machine. So if you use static IPs you might
want to check that you didn't make a type when setting the
IP for
the laptop and that you really do have all your network
settings on the laptop set correctly.

Linda

Old 01-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Tony Pursell

On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 11:50 -0500, Bill Stanley wrote:
> This is getting tedious...

/snip
> Is there any way to split
> up the file, write the pieces of the file to disk, read the disks on the
> laptop and then reconstruct the big file from its pieces. This would
> be very laborious and the network route is far better.

There is a utility called 'split' that will split up text files and then
you can put then back together with 'cat' (just make sure you cat the
pieces together in the right order, of course).

If the file is binary you will need to text encode it first. The
'base64' utility will do that.

I am, of course, assuming the server is Linux.

Also, I would say it is a long time since I had to do this (approx 15
years) so my recollection may be defective. I also know that I used
'uuencode' in those days to get a text file. You can install that with

sudo apt-get install sharutils

Tony

Old 01-12-2011, 04:14 PM
"A. Jorge Garcia"

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 3:50 AM, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com>
Is there any way to get a BIG (4.5 GB) file from my server to the

laptop. I
am having problems on the laptop with connecting to the server where

the
BIG file is located. I have other computers on the network that can

access

the file but not the lapto

Have you tried sftp? I set up openssh from the Ubuntu repositories just
for this purpose. Works fine.

You may want to set up an ftp server using vsftp, but openssh required
less setup.

HTH,
A. Jorge Garcia
Applied Math and CompSci
http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com
http://www.youtube.com/calcpage2009

Old 01-12-2011, 04:17 PM
"A. Jorge Garcia"

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 3:50 AM, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com>
Is there any way to get a BIG (4.5 GB) file from my server to the

laptop. I
am having problems on the laptop with connecting to the server where

the
BIG file is located. I have other computers on the network that can

access

the file but not the lapto

Also, if your Ubuntu install is 64bit, that file size should not be a
problem.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Bill Stanley

Is there any way to get a BIG (4.5 GB) file from my server to the laptop. I
am having problems on the laptop with connecting to the server where the
BIG file is located. I have other computers on the network that can access
the file but not the lapto

There are a lot of issues with moving large (>4GB) files around. I
ended up writing a custom utility to send a large file to a Windows
computer, although that may have been more a Windows issue than
otherwise, and if both ends of the connection are Linux then it may be
easier.

Are you able to do it with FTP? If not, I'll see if I can rewrite the
recipient end of my file transfer utility for Linux, and see how it
goes. It uses TCP/IP rather than SMB, as in my experience it's more
reliable.

I would be willing to give FTP a try but I haven't had the need to use
it. What must I do? Presumably I have to set up my server some way and
then what must be done on the client side?

Bill Stanley

Old 01-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Chris G

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 12:22:12PM -0500, Bill Stanley wrote:
> >On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 3:50 AM, Bill Stanley<bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:
> >>This is getting tedious...
> >>
> >>Is there any way to get a BIG (4.5 GB) file from my server to the laptop. I
> >>am having problems on the laptop with connecting to the server where the
> >>BIG file is located. I have other computers on the network that can access
> >>the file but not the lapto
> >
> >There are a lot of issues with moving large (>4GB) files around. I
> >ended up writing a custom utility to send a large file to a Windows
> >computer, although that may have been more a Windows issue than
> >otherwise, and if both ends of the connection are Linux then it may be
> >easier.
> >
> >Are you able to do it with FTP? If not, I'll see if I can rewrite the
> >recipient end of my file transfer utility for Linux, and see how it
> >goes. It uses TCP/IP rather than SMB, as in my experience it's more
> >reliable.
>
> I would be willing to give FTP a try but I haven't had the need to
> use it. What must I do? Presumably I have to set up my server some
> way and then what must be done on the client side?

I tend to use either rsync or scp, if you can ssh from one computer to
the other then both rsync and scp 'just work'.

--
Chris Green

Old 01-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Chris Angelico

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 4:22 AM, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:
> I would be willing to give FTP a try but I haven't had the need to use it.
> *What must I do? *Presumably I have to set up my server some way and then
> what must be done on the client side?

Other people have given some suggestions which are as good or better
than using FTP, but the easiest way to use FTP is to install something
like PureFTPD (sudo apt-get install pure-ftpd), which uses Unix logins
and home directories by default. You can then FTP to the server, log
in with your Linux user id and password, and get/put files. Note
though that some clients (I'm looking at you, Windows Default FTP
Client) die after transferring 4GB of a file. As A Jorge Garcia
pointed out, though, a 64-bit Linux should have no trouble with a
large file.

Chris Angelico