-   -   problem using wins client (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/475573-problem-using-wins-client.html)

Luca Ferrari 01-12-2011 10:38 AM

problem using wins client

Hi all,
I'm running ubuntu 10.04 and the computer is a network that uses the wins
server. I installed samba and cifs related stuff, changed the nsswitch.conf so
that it resolves hosts using (1) file, (2) dns, (3) wins. I edited the smb.conf
and added the wins server = 1.2.3.4 address of the wins server. However, if I
do a nmblookup I see the program doing a broadcast query. I tryed then to
change the name resolv order placing wins at the begin but still doing
nmblookup -d 5 winmachine
I can see that the program sends a broadcast. I then tried
nmblookup -d 5 -R -U 1.2.3.4 winmachine
and I got a positive correct reply.
So my problems are:
1) how to instrument nmblookup to use the wins server instead of a broadcast
2) make recursive requests against the server, since the normale request
(i.e., without -R) is not working.

I'm running samba 3.4.7.

Thanks,
Luca

Tom H 01-13-2011 04:16 AM

problem using wins client

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 6:38 AM, Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@infinito.it> wrote:

> I'm running ubuntu 10.04 and the computer is a network that uses the wins
> server. I installed samba and cifs related stuff, changed the nsswitch.conf so
> that it resolves hosts using (1) file, (2) dns, (3) wins. I edited the smb.conf
> and added the wins server = 1.2.3.4 address of the wins server. However, if I
> do a nmblookup I see the program doing a broadcast query. I tryed then to
> change the name resolv order placing wins at the begin but still doing
> nmblookup -d 5 winmachine
> I can see that the program sends a broadcast. I then tried
> nmblookup -d 5 -R -U *1.2.3.4 winmachine
> and I got a positive correct reply.
> So my problems are:
> 1) how to instrument nmblookup to use the wins server instead of a broadcast
> 2) make recursive requests against the server, since the normale request
> (i.e., without -R) is not working.

From the nmblookup man page:

-R
Set the recursion desired bit in the packet to do a recursive
lookup. This is used when sending a name query to a machine running
a WINS server and the user wishes to query the names in the WINS
server. If this bit is unset the normal (broadcast responding)
NetBIOS processing code on a machine is used instead. See RFC1001,
RFC1002 for details.

-U <unicast address>
Do a unicast query to the specified address or host unicast
address. This option (along with the -R option) is needed to query
a WINS server.

Luca Ferrari 01-14-2011 01:39 PM

problem using wins client

On Thursday, January 13, 2011 06:16:59 am Tom H's cat walking on the keyboard
wrote:

> -R
> Set the recursion desired bit in the packet to do a recursive
> lookup. This is used when sending a name query to a machine
> running a WINS server and the user wishes to query the names in the WINS
> server. If this bit is unset the normal (broadcast responding) NetBIOS
> processing code on a machine is used instead. See RFC1001, RFC1002 for
> details.
>
> -U <unicast address>
> Do a unicast query to the specified address or host unicast
> address. This option (along with the -R option) is needed to
> query a WINS server.

Thanks for pasting the nmblookup manpage, that I've already read....
However it turned out to be a configuration problem with the wins proxy option
that must be set to yes in smb.conf.

Thanks,
Luca

Tom H 01-14-2011 04:25 PM

problem using wins client

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 9:39 AM, Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@infinito.it> wrote:
> On Thursday, January 13, 2011 06:16:59 am Tom H's cat walking on the keyboard
> wrote:
>>
>> *-R
>> * * * * * * Set the recursion desired bit in the packet to do a recursive
>> * * * * * * lookup. This is used when sending a name query to a machine
>> running a WINS server and the user wishes to query the names in the WINS
>> server. If this bit is unset the normal (broadcast responding) NetBIOS
>> processing code on a machine is used instead. See RFC1001, RFC1002 for
>> details.
>>
>> -U <unicast address>
>> * * * * * * Do a unicast query to the specified address or host unicast
>> * * * * * * address. This option (along with the -R option) is needed to
>> query a WINS server.
>
> Thanks for pasting the nmblookup manpage, that I've already read....
> However it turned out to be a configuration problem with the wins proxy option
> that must be set to yes in smb.conf.

I was just pointing out that, AFAICT, you couldn't use -U without -R.

I wasn't troubleshooting anything else because you hadn't posted
enough information...